SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_12707111

Help with EXTERIOR design of Mid-Century Modern home

Tonja
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello! Anyone have any suggestions on the exterior of our home? it isn’t coming together and I need some advise please. Thinking of those garage doors that allow a lot of light in? Maybe more stone? The front door is a pivot door and would love for it to be a wood color but Wouldn’t stand out. Help!

Comments (147)

• Tonja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@jslazart- yes I get it !!! Don’t worry! 😳But we are still considering it. Lots to think of. The window guy is not just “some salesman” but my husbands softball teammate of over 20 years. A friend. He has a successful window / glass company.

but yes lots to figure out. We will have a pool on the back side also. There will now be an awning on the top too .

• Indecisiveness
    3 years ago

While you’re getting cost estimate, it would be good if you searched out someone who can do an energy efficiency assessment and an HVAC design company to not only give a price to install a unit, but operating costs.

Also, ask your architect if he can show you the angle of the solar rays into your house at various times of day/year. Like this

Tonja thanked Indecisiveness
  • Related Discussions

Exterior Color Advice Help Needed - Mid Century Modern

Q

Comments (4)
    Awww I hope you keep the blue gazing ball - every garden benefits I think from at least one whimsical or kitschy piece! I like the red of the brick - it looks like a true brick red at least on my monitor. You might try scraping some paint on the siding to see what the original color was - just FYI, not that you want to use the same color. I was looking at these in the paint store other day - & thought there was something sweetly vintage and evocative of the 50s about them- maybe one of the beigy ones would tie red brick and stoney taupe together a little better: https://www.ppgvoiceofcolor.com/collections/frank-lloyd-wright/1955-taliesin-color-palette Actually what is that stoney looking piece - is it real? Is repeated elsewhere on the house? What color is the roof? If its blue (kinda looks like it?) and not changing then that would have to be considered somehow - whether that means changing/colorwashing the taupey stone parts to get it more harmonious wtih blue-gray, I dunno.
    ...See More

Help - Curb Appeal/Updates needed for Mid Century Modern House

Q

Comments (16)
    Remove the meatballs and amateur garden center retaining walls in favor of one single low horizontal retaining wall. Pick a material that relates to the exterior choices. Matching brick if you could. Cot-ten steel possibly. The wall should have a decent horizontal space between it and the street where some larger scaled pots and concrete jigsaw puzzle blocking “garden” with some heavy “sculptures” can shine. Look at the standard blockade pot planting’s meant to keep vehicles from ramming public buildings. You will need an expert to design this, and implement it. Maybe Phase 1 is Design, and Phase 2 is Implement. The smaller space between the top of the wall and building can be actual planting’s, but mostly drought resistant grasses and maybe some very low growing junipers. The building is a STAR, and needs to be more revealed than hidden by landscaping. Also think about a rooftop terrace and garden if it’s flat. Would be cool to see a hint of green in the sky peeking over like a secret paradise.
    ...See More

ideas for home exterior for mid century modern ranch

Q

Comments (2)
    You can post the pics here in the comment section. It really is impossible to give any ideas without seeing what you have and knowing what you want to update.
    ...See More

Updating recently purchased mid century modern home exterior?

Q

Comments (25)
    That's a wonderful first home and looks well maintained - congratulations. From the examples you've been given, I would go with one of the darker greens, or darker brown. My own single story MCM is dark unsweetened chocolate brown - all of it, no brick other than built in planters in front - and in searching back through neighborhood photos, has been this color since built 1955. I have no plans to change it. I like the way it blends into the landscape as though a part of it, and not something just dropped into place from somewhere else ;0) I think blue would have that effect on your home with the treed background. One thing the PO had done here was paint the underside of the soffits warm white. I think if the darker color, it would appear a little dark when inside looking out...you might want to keep that in mind when painting along your parking and basketball hoop area and keep the part the overhangs the brick light colored on the underside. No one will notice from outdoors.
    ...See More
  • Tonja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Indecisiveness good idea. I will do that

• chispa
    3 years ago

Do you need a fireplace in Florida? I live in a warm climate and my house came with 4 fireplaces. What a waste! I would rather have a wall of built-ins with some storage and shelf/wall space for decor and/or art.

• cpartist
    3 years ago

Lovely home cpartist

Thank you doods.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

"Do you need a fireplace in Florida?"

Of course they need fireplaces. How do you expect them to stay warm when the temperatures plummet below 70˚ F?

• Tonja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@chispa yes of course we need a fireplace . This fire place will be amazing! and yes we need to keep warm here in Florida. 😳 4 fireplaces in your pad - yes a waste I agree. One is not and can give texture and focal point to a living room .

⚠️One thing about me- I despise shelves to hold Knickknacks and clutter. I despise those extra rooms that don’t get used (formal living space - foyer..and any other small room that doesn’t get used)... i consider

myself a bit of a Minimalist . In the kitchen we only have one wall of upper cabinets while the other side boost a large window. Why have extra space to hold junk you never use?

in fact - the fire place willl NOT have any shelving and be a whole wall of stone /brick , with the fire place coming out with Harth. a very clean and minimalist look (with my plants of course). We do have shelving near the modern sitting window at front as this will be our library and reading nook. So that is enough shelving for me !!

luckily we lived in a custom home my husband built for 13 years and realized things we did and did not like about it.

someone mentioned the island being to wide and hard to reach the middle . Wow the things you all think of ! But our last house wasn’t as wide (what a pain) . Now we can all eat around it and still have plates of extra food (like a buffet in front) or can have decorative items in middle on holidays. I wanted a nice clean slab! No clutter. !!! And this island will be amazing !

in the pantry - we have lower cabinets to put our coffee maker- and other appliances.

I know so many people have different tastes. It can be hard to understand people’s likes for certain things. But overall. Every single space will be used every day - no room for clutter. Closets are plenty big and we have a 3 car garage too. After our house is built we will be building a small rescue facility on the land (I’ve run a primary cat rescue for the last 11 years and want to do more dogs with the added space and I’ll be coming near retirement in 5 more years).

lots to come .

I will post new photos once I get them or maybe I can figure out how to do it myself

• cpartist
    3 years ago

So you’re a minimalist but don’t have enough storage.

What happens when the kids get older and have sports equipment, hobbies etc? Where will all that go?

Where will mops, brooms, etc go?

What about rain gear? It rains a lot here in FL.

What about coats? There are those cold days here.

Hey but you have it all figured out and i will repeat what i said before. Some people want actual advice to improve their designs. I did and because of it my house flows beautifully,lived very well and guess what? No clutter either. There is even a space for each of us to retreat to separately.

Then there are the folks who come here secretly thinking their plan is wonderful. They think they want advice on making it better until the advice starts coming. Then they counteract any advice with the reason they are doing it the way they are and always have a comment about how everyone lives differently and their husband, wife, cousin, builder,etc really knows what they’re doing too. What they really wanted was to be patted on the back and be told how wonderful their plan is. You fall into the second category.

I just hope you don’t wind up like the one lady who acted like you prebuild and 2 years later came back here crying about how she hated her house because of her bowling alley public spaces and how so many other things were dysfunctional

• lyfia
    3 years ago

At 25x30 with the protrusions and jogs you have you do have the minimum spacing needed to use it as living/dining. I personally would never build everything for minimum sizing for areas I would use everyday. The little jog you have between the kitchen and dining room causes you to have less space available than if the kitchen was even with the dining as then the aisle space for circulation could be shared and your size would be more spacious. I used 3ft for walkways on each side of the living room to reach the bedrooms which generally means a one person space. I did assume with having 4 children that you'd have furniture in a u-shape to be able to seat the whole family comfortably and also have guests. I also used minimum depth of chairs/sofas to do that calculation.

The one dimension I could see on the closet shows 4'4 so a bit on the tight side when hanging clothes takes up 2ft of space.

I would avoid pocket doors and only use them in areas where I don't mind the doors to stay open all the time. They are harder to open/close and transmits more light than a regular door. For the Jack and Jill you could put outswing doors into the bedrooms and that would likely also help the occupants of those bedrooms to be more likely to close the doors to the bathroom.

It looks like one of the kids closets have an attic access area which seems placed poorly for also being able to arrange the closet and still be able to get into the attic. Maybe it would be better to have it in the hallway. I wouldn't want to build something that I know I will need to move stuff out of the way to be able to access something and where the dirt of the attic will fall on clean clothes as there always seems to be some insulation that gets dragged out from the attic. I like ease of use even if it is not used often.

What's the dimensions of the master bath?

I would remove the porch/overhang part from the area with no window and use it for landscaping to deal with the issue of no window there.

I'm sorry you seem to have gotten the architect we just fired as I would think they should be able to produce something more to your liking on the exterior as well - ours was horrible at that along with his floorplans except for the first draft. I think a good architect should produce something where the owner just makes minor tweaks. That was not the case with our guy.

As to the island size - I think people were referring to the depth of it as when it is deep and wide it is hard to reach the middle and clean without getting up on top of it. Not sure what size yours is, but you might want to verify if that would be an issue for you and adjust. For me who is tall, a 5ft depth is my absolute max for comfort.

As I'm planning my build I'm going for function first and foremost and want to do as much as I can to avoid building in things that adds to daily annoyances. That is I'm less willing to compromise on things that will be used daily vs. something that is used once a week. For example, my pantry vs. my laundry.

Speaking of laundry - I would make sure you have 42" available between your machines and anything on the opposite wall. 3ft gets tight when you bend down and also have a wall next to you on one side.

• jslazart
    3 years ago

If I were to take a "move boxes around" approach to just reorienting the house (note: not recommended generally), I think I'd consider something like this:

I basically just turned it, but I also tried to pull the master up a little to give it.. rather than the guest bathroom.. prime real estate in the corner with lots of window options (and potentially a view of the pool). Obviously you'd need someone with actual talent to make all the tweaks necessary to make something like this actually work.. this is more of a bubble diagram.

I am 100% with you on not having duplicative rooms and other things that don't get used. But I also think you should go through and decide where you will put everything you *do* have and use--e.g., actually draw in your planned furniture to scale, decide where everything in the kitchen goes, figure out where the camping equipment and pool noodles and whatever else will be stored. That's not nick-knacks or decorative stuff--that's practical/useful stuff that is a pain if you don't have a convenient storage location. (Maybe that's what a lot of people use garages for, but I actually park in mine, so.. in house storage is important to me. YMMV.)

• suedonim75
    3 years ago

Then there are the folks who come here secretly thinking their plan is wonderful. They think they want advice on making it better until the advice starts coming. Then they counteract any advice with the reason they are doing it the way they are and always have a comment about how everyone lives differently and their husband, wife, cousin, builder,etc really knows what they’re doing too. What they really wanted was to be patted on the back and be told how wonderful their plan is. You fall into the second category.

WOW! You seem to be taking all of this very personally. This is the second time you have insulted the OP because she didn't fall all over your advice and tell you how wonderful it is. Maybe you need to take a step back from this thread.

Tonja thanked suedonim75
  • cpartist
    3 years ago

No she hasn't taken anyone's advice but instead keeps making excuses to everyone as to why she is doing it the way she is.

• suedonim75
    3 years ago

We must be reading different threads, she has taken advice on the EXTERIOR of the house, which is what she asked about.

She just isn't taking your advice, which are really just criticisms.

• Tonja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes @suedonim75- I only asked for exterior advise . But there have been some good points to the interior that I’ll be looking into.

as for @cpartist- you term this “excuses” as I term “likes.” We designed this house and of course we like many things about it. you bring of things you “dislike” and I tell you why I like it. Then you get all huffy and puffy about it. You don’t Have the best presence in this thread. Your delivery is off but hey- it’s all good!.

• Indecisiveness
    3 years ago

If you’re not doing shelves around your fireplace, where do you put the tv?

The size of the island came up because there are countless posts by people who were upset they couldn’t get a single slab of material for their island counter and/or upset about the seam.

• Tonja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I've been typing on my phone so wanted to wait till I got to my laptop to answer more questions. @lyfia - I will have to scale the plans out with furniture. That is a great idea. The no window area of overhang on back is actually where the outdoor shower is and reason for this.

After hearing what you said about pocket doors, I read a few threads on this (one on houzz) seems like there are mixed reviews on it. But using solid doors paired with Johnson hardware - and this way is well perceived. But - I get it. Solid doors are more solid and secure. But in this area (kitchen) I feel a pocket makes more sense here as you don't want it swinging indoors and not in... But will look into this more.

Attic in kids closet.. Hmm didn't know that to be honest with you. I think hallway is much better. Thanks for looking at that.

Island issues due to size. now I understand. Make sure you are able to find a big enough slab without it being cut.

Laundry room- yes you brought up a touchy one. I need to figure out the measurements on this to see. I'm gathering the image i posted is blurrY? and hard to read? I do need a mud room. I know this. Thinking about positioning the garage over a bit to accommodate.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    3 years ago

If you are open to it I would bring all the comments and questions in this thread to the architect and go through each one and discuss the pros and cons of them and make changes accordingly.

Start with placement on the lot and concerns about heat etc.

Move to shape of the house and feel.

Also take on all the interior questions and comments as they are directly linked to the exterior no matter what.

Now is the time to pause, take a fresh look, change some stuff and cement your confidence on other stuff,

Your house will be great but be willing to slow the process down

Tonja thanked WestCoast Hopeful
  • Tonja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@jslazart- Thanks for drawing up a visual! I see what you mean about the master suite. Bring it to the front for a better view. That was never something I considered but I get it! I want to scale everything with furniture now that you mentioned that. Good plan.

I love how the driveway is positioned too!

Storage storage!! Okay, Yes last house we had an oversized two car garage and used our laundry room and garage as storage. But I'm wanting more room in laundry room and/or mud room now. And since we are talking about storage. There is a built IN wall at the front door to accommodate the modern sitting window with two bookcases on either end. I believe a small door (this is built out 24") could be near the front door to hand items. I think this may be a good idea? Yes?

@Indecisiveness - Tv can be placed above mantle. We want the one that looks like a painting! No need for much else these days with the newer technology. And yes understand with the slab in kitchen about the seem. Good point.

• Indecisiveness
    3 years ago

Regarding storage, when your kids have friends dropped off at your house, what door will they come in?

And which kid‘s room gets the large patio door to sneak out of at night after you go to bed? ;)

• Tonja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Indecisiveness- they would come in front door if friends came over. And yes my oldest daughter Freedom (age 9) will get that room! Also has a modern sitting window too (she is obsessed with our cats as I am)😸 . I actually call them cat windows although she can use them as a reading area.

• Naf_Naf
    3 years ago

In my opinion, the porch you have can be improved. It does not belong.

I would go with a flat roof (or a metal canopy) and steel columns and beams.

In these pics you can get some inspiration. Designed by Richard Neutra, one of the top MDM architects. You do not need to add the water feature, but I's also consider the canopy openings. Columns can also be 4"x8" steel.

Tonja thanked Naf_Naf
  • Miranda33
    3 years ago

As a matter of interest, I am linking a real estate listing for an actual 1961 MCM-Prairie home to show you what a real one looks like, not a fantasy of an MCM akin to 1990's people's fantasy of what a Tuscan home looked like. This home is in a Chicago suburb. It is so stunning. The wood! The floors! The stone! The beams! And how it melds into the prairie landscape surrounding it.

This town typically has homes in the $1,000,000+ price point. This home is selling for a song. I think because the listing says it needs new roof, which in that kind of house will cost maybe a quarter mil. Also there may be landmark restrictions on what you can do with it, I am not sure.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Bannockburn/2200-Stirling-Rd-60015/home/17627565?utm_source=myredfin&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=recommendations_update&riftinfo=ZXY9ZW1haWwmbD0zOTY4Mjc2NSZwPWxpc3RpbmdfdXBkYXRlc19yZWNvbW1lbmRhdGlvbnMmYT1jbGljayZzPXJlY29tbWVuZGF0aW9ucyZ0PWltYWdlJmVtYWlsX2lkPTM5NjgyNzY1XzE2MDgzMDQ2MDVfNiZ1cGRhdGVfdHlwZT0yJmxpbHJfc2NvcmU9MC41NjImbGlzdGluZ19pZD0xMjU1MzY0NDEmcHJvcGVydHlfaWQ9MTc2Mjc1NjUmcG9zaXRpb25fbnVtYmVyPTI=

• Tonja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Miranda33 thanks for sharing! I am building a contemporary mid century modern. I definitely wasn’t clear on this. But will have some elements of a mid century. We’ve changed a few things already and will post a new photo in a few weeks or so. Some changes in the interior too

• Tonja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

👋Hello again! Well we made some major changes thanks to everyone’s input! to recap - we are building a Mid Century inspired home. Maybe better termed a contemporary Mid Century Modern home.

⚠️I do have a few questions .

1) Do you like the flat roof for the garage?

2) the shed roof at the front of house. Would this be better as a flat concrete roof? (Not wording correctly)

3) considering a fireplace in our master that extends from inside to outside . Have any inputs on this?

We are now facing the house south (to optimize heating and cooling and to fit the garage), we are now moving the garage to the left of the house which is detached with a breezeway. (no garage doors at front of house as those will be gone). This makes a little courtyard where our master bedroom is positioned.

Some breeze block added to give some privacy to our courtyard.

Below is what the left side of house will be similar too (Architech is working on this now and only have this rough sketch). But we now have a MUDROOM (yes you all were right as I needed it), made the kitchen a little bigger now, master no longer has a “step son” feel and is towards front of house with clerestory windows. Will have sitting area and maybe fire place ?! (Not sure on this)

Added a closet (as yes this house lacked storage).

• Indecisiveness
    3 years ago

So are there two separate garages now? Or are you replacing the originally drawn garage with the new drawing on the left?

No shed roof on the front; extend the gable (peak) roof to give you an overhang.

Do You have a floor plan?

Position of the door from the mud room into the kitchen isn’t great; it creates a walkway right in the kitchen work zones.

Are you actually going to use a sitting area and fireplace in your master? That sounds like one of those things that are great in theory but doesn’t actually get used.

Is your graph paper scale 1 box= 1’ ?

• Tonja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Indecisiveness so no confusion here is a photo and I used white out to remove the doors that won’t be there.

yes only one set fo garage doors (to the left of house with breezeway. .

To answer the rest of your Questions:

as for using the peak as an overhang, that doesn’t seem to work as it would create a big gap from top to bottom windows . And we have a huge sitting window at bottom with bookcases . Plus it would be so much roof at the top. There will be some overhand to peak as there are metal beams extending from interior to exterior.

im just trying to figure out a better design than what is there.

mud room door - gotcha. I don’t think it would be too big of an issue as it needs to be close to there so only one door to access both mudroom And pantry.

no I would never use our sitting area but we want to see the clerestory windows so it is a wide room and ⚠️what else to do????

fire place - just an idea. Not sure about that either as yea- we would not use much- maybe never 😳

new plans are coming but not done yet. Just throwing out that rough idea of the left side . The right side in previous post is staying the same

Yes- that graph paper is to scale 1 square = 1 foot ...

• Indecisiveness
    3 years ago

I think I’ll need to see the floor plans to understand what you’re doing as at the moment it sounds like you’re converting the old garage into the master.

I don’t understand what you mean that a roof overhang increases the gap from the top to bottom windows? This is a typical MCM feature.

Also, on the center portion of the house the shed roof causes the top and bottom windows to look disjointed.

IMO, your house would look better if you had a single roof line like the second picture instead of the three you currently have (well, 4 if you include the new garage).

• Tonja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Indecisiveness a new house plan soon so once get can share ..

if no shed roof not sure how to make front look as bottom window is sitting window and doesn’t join to clerestory once to topz . Hmmm . Could extend a part of this roof over also ...

• Tonja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Indecisiveness

i did contact Architech to see about this

you are right!

• Celadon
    3 years ago

Architecture is not a cut and paste process. It’s still a hot mess, with no thought given to marrying volume and form. Form follows function. They are inseparable.

• Indecisiveness
    3 years ago

Either your sitting window needs to join the windows at the top or you need to get rid of the windows at the top. I’m sorry, I know you like how it is, but the way it is now just looks bad.

Extend the roof of the gable over the porch as I showed in the previous post pictures.

When you make one roof line, lower the center roof height, don’t raise the ends.

But all of this depends on what your floor plan ends of being.

• res2architect
    3 years ago

This house has more in common with the Shed Style of the 60's and 70's than with the Mid-Century Modern Style. Look at the work of Robert Venturi and Charles Moore (Sea Ranch). You should embrace the fact that you are not working with one element but several.

• Tonja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@ourfarmhouse Wow, I can't thank you enough for explaining all of this and creating 3 different renderings. I know this must have taken a lot of time. You really made our home connect and flow. Our architect pushed back our meeting till next Thursday Jan 28th, so will definitely address this all with him. I knew it was off, but couldn't figure out how to make it flow. Yes I know an architect is suppose to do this, but felt I needed to figure it out also. I've learned so much from everyone's input. Are you an architect yourself? With your renderings I have to assume so.

Again, thanks so much. Seriously can't thank you enough.

• ourfarmhouse
    3 years ago

Thank you for the kind words, Tonja.
    I am not an architect. I am a designer/illustrator/creative director with a huge love of architecture of all types. I deal with visual balance and harmony on a daily basis. I think your home will be stunning. It is fun to see you paying homage to one of the coolest eras in recent architecture and trying to do it well.

Really, a lot of the thought behind these renderings comes from the second image that SashaDog shared. It has great visual balance and so many Hallmarks of great MCM design. Your build seems so similar in ways.

Good luck as you continue to iterate on this, and keep us all up to date. This is a special house.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    3 years ago

Have you considered getting rid of all the shed roofs and making them all matching pitch gables?

• Indecisiveness
    3 years ago

The roof overhang and front windows as ourfarmhouse illustrated are much improved!

Once you get the updated plans, it would be good to revisit the lack of windows on the two wings.

• ourfarmhouse
    3 years ago

Res2, I can see that.

I also think it also has a bit of a modified Eichler quality to it. The clerestory windows. The blank, spare walls on the facade. The central, glazed, light-filled entry/corridor. Blurring the line between inside and out. Heavy eaves. Extended beams. The concrete screen wall.

Of course it has a steeper pitch, is taller, and the shapes are more complex...less singular...but it works pretty well.

Fun to see Tonja and Co. building in the MCM style while not being slavish to the exact form of one of the masters. It's not a cookie-cutter house, to be sure.

• ourfarmhouse
    3 years ago

SashaDog, I think it could look okay. The lack of windows in the front could be counterbalanced with the main glazing at the back and the side of the house, turning the living toward the back (sanctuary) of the house instead of the front. It's maybe kind of a cocooning effect.

Pointing to a good number of the Eichler homes in Palm Springs as reference, they have generally windowless facades (other than floor to ceiling glazing around the entryway), while the rear of the house has expansive window walls. It forces the views inside to the outdoor room in the back, which usually contains a pool and manicured entertainment space. The blank walls up front allow for privacy (and a little mystery), and are usually either celebrated or complemented by landscaping. Light is frequently brought into the house by clerestory windows.

Here is a Google image search of what I am talking about...

https://www.google.com/search?q=eichler+homes+palm+springs&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwip0ML35q7uAhUO0awKHcLHDlwQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=eichler+homes+palm+springs&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzICCAAyBAgAEBg6BggAEAgQHlCe9Y8BWPGIkAFg5YyQAWgAcAB4AIABf4gBoAaSAQQxMS4xmAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWfAAQE&sclient=img&ei=EmIKYKn_BY6iswXCj7vgBQ&bih=1056&biw=1589&client=safari&hl=en-US#imgrc=9HW0Wd4cXqPBkM

What do you think?

• Indecisiveness
    3 years ago

Ourfarmhouse, I think that works when the front windowless wall is in the same room as the back windowed wall, but that’s not the case here. The windowless walls are in separate rooms from the big backwindow.

I lived in a basement until I was 12 as my dad built our house (no mortgage he did the work himself, to the point of buying rough lumber planing it and tongue-and-grooving it himself for the floors). It’s a fun story to tell now, but it taught me that living in a room without windows you can look out SUCKS. :)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

To me the flat roofed garage looks like the unwanted child. It is not even shown in the latest image the OP posts. It is not part of the composition of the house design, orphaned off to the side. Even bringing it closer to the major massing does not help.

• Tonja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Indecisiveness there will be windows lower in the bedrooms on each wing . We have one side that will open to a courtyard. so this won’t be in any comparison to a basement- that’s for sure.

im Sure that was a fun experience! Basement living And a father who did it all himself. That was my life too (minus the basement). My dad would buy and sale quite a lot and we lived in many unfinished homes . He loves those fixer uppers and living in them until they sold. 😂

@Mark Bischak, Architect i do understand the garage statement . But having it away from the home gave us more space inside and more light. Would be open to any suggestions for sure.

@ourfarmhouse- yes this home has very tall ceilings . Always wanted a two story feel in a one story home. The living room will have metal beams and lined with a light colored wood. The fire place will have a whole wall of rough white brick .

@ourfarmhouse at the front of your renderimags- to the left of the orange door. What would this be? Kind of curious. I have already printed them out and wasn’t sure.

as for the garage. It just wouldn’t fit pulled into the house now that we’ve added a mud room .

so you like that flat roof wirh breeze way. Or do you see a different design maybe with some pitch to it?

thanks again for your time (and everyone else’s)

• PRO
    Altair
    3 years ago

Love the rendering of the home, only thing I am not a fan of would be the door. With a home like this I would personally add some color to it.

• Tonja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Altair you would add color to it? You mean the orange door? I’m not sure what new rendering you saw . This one?

• Indecisiveness
    3 years ago

Why did you add separate garage AND keep the space where you used to have your attached garage? That would add nearly 1,000 sqft of living space?

• Tonja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Indecisiveness we did NOT keep the space where garage use to be. We moved garage to other side to give a little more room to house for mud room and more light

• JuneKnow
    3 years ago

This continues to just be nuts. It is like flat little paper doll dresses substituting for a real sewn together fabric dress that would fit a real person. Flat non dimensional shifting around lines does not at all compare with having to now shift around the floor plan to fit the paper doll dress. You can’t play in one dimension and ever have it work. You have to actually consider the interrelated 3 dimensions.

• Tonja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@JuneKnow- I wonder where you went . Haven‘t heard much of your negatively lately . You, along with Cpartist just have a very poor delivery and snobby-like comments. Aside from this, I’ve been blown away by how helpful people are with great advise. But again you stand out easily and rather you move along with your unhelpful words .....

you may have (at times) given some things to consider, but your delivery is way off and I cringe to have to read any of your comments.

• Naf_Naf
    3 years ago

Tonja,

Could you post the new floor plan to see the flow and how the changes can benefit the exterior? I have an idea but for that I need to see the floor plan.

I just designed a MCM a few months ago, for a client that used to live in MCM paradise: Palm Springs, California and when we met his first words were: I want a MCM home.

For this project I had to create an animation of the exterior as one of the main characteristics in MCD is the relation interior-exterior.

• Tonja
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Naf_Naf hello! Yes it is on a scratch paper but should have a revised copy by tomorrow .

what is your idea? Are you able to explain a bit. I’m very curious .