SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
allyssa_macallister

Why did my Money Tree spontaneously die?!?

This money tree has been great and super low maintenance since I got it ~8 months ago. But this week, seemingly out of nowhere, it decided to drop dead and I can't figure out why or if it's at all salvageable. I'm a little annoyed because it appears to have been over-watered, even though it has lived in one of those self-watering pots (where you pour the water into a reservoir in the bottom) so this shouldn't have happened.
A few days ago, it started looking droopy, the leaves began to turn yellow and fall off, and the trunk started to feel soft. I repotted it today, mostly so I could investigate the problem. The roots actually looked pretty good. They're small, but none were mushy or dried out. The soil, however, was soaking wet.
But then, after repotting, I carelessly grabbed the pot without thinking and the whole plant tumbled out of the soil onto the floor. One of the branches bent at the trunk and would have snapped off if it had been dry. Instead it kind of mushed off and took a little piece of the trunk with it. Where it detached, the trunk seems to have rotted - it was black and stringy/mushy inside. So I peeled back some of the wet "bark" at the base and it was totally fine - a nice tan-is solid wooden trunk.
How does this happen? The upper part of the trunk shows signs of rot, but the roots and base look fine. Is there anything I can do to salvage the tree? I can't tell if the two remaining branches are dead or not. They have always been slightly grey but continued to produce new leaves. But with the upper trunk rotted, I'd expect these branches won't be far behind....
Any advice or links to resources would be helpful!
Photos attached:
1) Money Tree on Monday when it started looking droopy (please excuse my attempt to blur out my mess)
2) Money Tree today (after repot)
3) Three distinct colors of the trunk
4) Roots - healthy, right?
5) Where branch broke off
6) Remaining branches - are they still alive?
Thank you!

Comments (2)