SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julas

Why did my Lion's Head Japanese Maple Die

julas
8 years ago

So last year, my husband and i paid a landscaping company a LOT of money for new landscaping. Long story short, we had a completely horrible experience with them, and the company has since gone out of business (therefore we cannot retrieve any compensation for the loss of the tree, etc).

This is a $1,200 maple that was planted in a steel planter box (see reference images) that did not survive our very cold Michigan winter. everything else that was planted (for the most part) did come back this spring (thank god).

However, this tree that looked strong and healthy all summer/fall, is completely dead now. My best guess is that because it is planted in the steel planter box, and the root ball is partly above ground level, that the planter box almost acted like an ice cube tray and froze the root ball. I know NOTHING about gardening, and am learning as I go on how to care for the new landscaping. But this was a huge loss, and very disappointing as it was a gorgeous tree and very expensive.

Would love to hear some thoughts on what could have been the problem. And also, if you think that we should just not be planting trees in that planter box? I've attached a link above with the photos of the living vs. dead tree so you can see where it's planted, etc.

Thanks so much for any advice/options/thoughts.

Comments (10)