SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Should I put a sofa/loveseat in this room?

Sueb20
2 years ago

This is our ”sitting room” which is open to the foyer as well as the living room so only has 2 full walls (obv with a window in the center of both, and a radiator on one, to make it extra fun). The room isnt used much really, but I will often read in the red chair, if DH is watching TV in the living room. Sometimes I’ll knit there. The bigger beige chair — I think it’s been sat in 2x in 3 years. I feel like the room just looks like a small sea of random chairs, and thinking maybe to simplify, I could get a small sofa or loveseat, place the ottoman in front of it (yeah its a weird cowhide island but I like it) and get rid of the beige chair and move the red chair to the living room to replace a dying chair there. Like I said, typically there’s only ever one person in this room, so I don’t need a ”conversational grouping” setup.

Thoughts? IGNORE the weirdly placed art to the right of the window, long story, it’s moving. Also ignore the boxes by the door. 😎

The LR is to the right in this pic.

Foyer to left in this pic.

I started out thinking I wanted a different table under the window but then started re-thinking the whole seating situation.

A few non-negotiables: rug stays; cabinet stays; art stays; ottoman stays. Not doing construction to add/delete doors or windows.

Comments (150)

• jlsch
    2 years ago

I like the red chair in between the windows and think it all looks wonderful. As I said, I happen to love wicker and the feel it evokes, but do like the room with and without it. When it is gone it does showcase the great cabinet behind it better. Good idea to try it without for a time and see what you think.

Sueb20 thanked jlsch
  • Eileen
    2 years ago

Will the cabinet fit on the wall where the leather chair is now? It's better for wood furniture not to be near a heat source. Then the wicker chair can be tucked into the room instead of encroaching on the entry way. Now you have only two chairs in the room, solving the cluttered chair issue. Remember your original complaint was the "small sea of random chairs". In the photo you love, the wicker chair is in the corner where you now have the red chair so it could work there, though you may prefer your reading chair in that corner, further from the LR TV noise.

Sueb20 thanked Eileen
  • Related Discussions

Help with picking sofa/loveseat for this room

Q

Comments (12)
    I struggle with these kinds of decisions myself.. but here are my thoughts: 1. a loveseat isnt much more effective than a chair --yes, you can put two butts on one, but they arent a whole lot bigger than a generous club chair. 2. If you ever have a need for more seating.. the sofa is there. If not-- well, you have another place to stretch out. ;) 3. I had a bauhaus microsuede sofa and it just wore like teflon-- even with two large dogs. 4. And finally, I like it's earthy clay color with your fireplace and the absolutely lovely floors!! I think the ivory of the loveseat may be too sharp a contrast.
    ...See More

Living Room Rocker Recliner,Sofa, Love Seat, With Cherry Wood Table

Q

Comments (3)
    I'm looking for something sort of modern but not too modern in fabric on the light to med color.
    ...See More

which loveseat should I match my black velvet sofa ?

Q

Comments (2)
    You need 2 chairs instead of a loveseat. BTW both the colored pieces you show are sofas and when they become lovesets the proportion is not as attractive. @ chairs in a bright color would be nice I assume the top photo is your sofa which BTW looks like a loveseat I might be a bit confused.I think something a bit fun would be good or if you want to keep it more on the formal side .I would like to see the whole room myself.
    ...See More

Non-matching (partially matched) sofa and love seat for family room

Q

Comments (8)
    I am not a fan of sofa/loveseat combo...for a number of reasons, but mostly because I don't want to sit that close to anyone and try to have a conversation. I find it awkward. Two chairs would be my choice. This chairs gets very good reviews and you can't beat the price. Comes in tan leather and black. I would suggest black and add them tie that color to the sofa with kilim throw pillows. https://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/20003055/Montreux-Iron-Butterfly-Chair-with-Real-Leather-Seat-1b838b47-79fe-4ef9-8ab4-cd4968fcc3bf_1000.jpg https://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/20003055/Montreux-Iron-Butterfly-Chair-with-Real-Leather-Seat-1b838b47-79fe-4ef9-8ab4-cd4968fcc3bf_1000.jpg
    ...See More
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Well now that the leather chair is up here, I am remembering how comfy it is. No one is going to sit in the cute but somewhat rickety wicker chair so for me, it makes the most sense to keep the leather and ditch the wicker. I do have a wicker chair in the foyer so I’m not totally wickerless…

I didn’t think I wanted the ottoman but maybe I do! Pillow is there until new one arrives.

• yeonassky
    2 years ago

I like the red chair between the windows as well. I also like the wicker chair. I wonder if a throw might add a coordinating colour though. Maybe something with a red closer to the carpet red?

Also for your cabinet under the window my thought is a low glass perhaps sliding door bookcase. In keeping with it being a reading room.

Sueb20 thanked yeonassky
  • 3katz4me
    2 years ago

I'm liking the new arrangement with the red chair in the corner and without the wicker chair. If I were going to sit in that leather chair I'd want the ottoman but I guess it depends on whether or not it looks too crowded with it in there. I wonder what it would look like over by the shelf where the wicker chair was - to have it around when someone wants to lounge around in that chair if it's too much to have it in front of the chair. Definitely a different floor lamp - there was one in one of Mtns recent photos that I was thinking might be a better option for you.

Sueb20 thanked 3katz4me
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ahhh yes, this one?

Yeo, a while back Crate and Barrel used to have a tall cabinet like that, painted red, that I loved!

• amykath
    2 years ago

I like how you have it set up with the red chair in the corner and no wicker chair. Now I can see the gorgeous cabinet. However, if you feel sad without it in there then keep it there. It is all about what makes YOU happy in your space.

I like the ottoman and the temp pillow as well. That would be one cozy spot for reading!!

All well done!!

Sueb20 thanked amykath
  • lizzie_grow
    2 years ago

I love everything you do, SueB, so whatever you decide I will give a thumbs up! Choose which chair where according to function for you as much as for aesthetic. And, by the way, our DH must never meet to discuss furniture rearrangement & how many have occured in our homes!! As we age, however, it's kind of slowing down...our bodies don't comply so easily....hah!!

Sueb20 thanked lizzie_grow
  • Tina Marie
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I like the chair with the ottoman, but I don't care for two ottomans in the space. : (

Sueb20 thanked Tina Marie
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

Like the "new" leather chair and like it in that spot. Not sure about ottoman. Id usually say no to two but can't tell from the photo.

Love your wicker chair, but not necessarily there and esp now that I can see the cabinet better. Love the cabinet.

I like torcheres but especially, ahem over time, really appreciate task lighting. Mine is a pair of salvage lamps, made from old gears. PB has some that are not too spendy and look nice; DD has one. They are ordinary yet also just very nice.

Sueb20 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Jilly
    2 years ago

Love those, mtn.

I got this one for my DD’s apt last year, she’s very happy with it:

Comes in various colors and sizes. I’ve been trying to think of where I can put one. :D

Sueb20 thanked Jilly
  • Arapaho-Rd
    2 years ago

Now seeing your cabinet, it's a warm wood which seems to look similar in color to table under window. I like the repeat. Any chance you consider a large basket under that table and leave it as is?

Sueb20 thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • robo (z6a)
    2 years ago

I’m wondering if the wicker chair would look more grounded if its cushions were darker. Like what about a dark muted red cushion on bottom?

Also wondering if the cowhide ottoman could move between red and wicker chairs?

Sueb20 thanked robo (z6a)
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Arapahogo, funny, I had the same thought about a basket!

Wicker chair has moved upstairs…not sure if I want it back now that it’s found a new home.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

where did the wicker chair go? I was wondering about how it would work in your BR or office

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It’s too big for our bedroom but it’s in the guest room, which I walk by often and it’s clearly visible from the hall. And, not covered by a pile of clothes like the little chair in my room is. 🥴

FTR, I spent time in the cushy brown chair today and realized THAT is a prime spot bc I can see out both windows! Honestly never realized until now that I like that spot better.

• amykath
    2 years ago

So happy you found your sweet spot Sue! I think we now need a full tour of your home. It is like a little tease of that one room we have all been focusing on and we want more... at least I do!!!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 years ago

You’re so sweet, atk. I have shared these at various times on various threads, but here are a few shots of other rooms.

The LR which is open to the room we’ve been discussing. We now have a big round Stickley coffee (thx to craigs list) table in place of the ottoman. Pillows, etc have changed too.

Dining room…STILL waiting for our new chairs. They are charcoal gray velvet with walnut legs.

This was the room before we bought the house. Ick.

Entry vestibule.

Kitchen…

Master.

My $20 CL chair.

Main bath

Powder room, before hanging art.

I do love my upstairs den/TV room with its new built-ins and sectional… will have to post pics at some point.

I am so so happy with the ”new” leather chair in the sitting room (guess where I’m sitting right now?). Thank you ALL for your input, it was all helpful! It can be hard for me to see my own spaces objectively.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I may order this floor lamp. It will be almost invisible from a decor standpoint, and in terms of function, it sounds great: adjustable in height and in directing the light, and has a 3-level dimmer.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Okay, last comment for today. Realizing that I’m kind of attached to my table esp since it has history (old desk), is solid oak, and I think I paid about $25 for it.

This would fit nicely under my current table. Easy to pull out on wheels.

Or this, although prob too light color. I like the handles.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

I think you need something wider there to make the room look its best. Is there another home for the piece?

Sueb20 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • yeonassky
    2 years ago

Beautiful home! When I grow up I want such a nicely put together place.:)

Maybe you could find a very nice c table of the same colour to tuck in beside the window desk. It could double as a little table for you while you are reading and drinking your favorite beverage. :). If it's close enough in colour/ type of wood it will visually extend the length of the under the window table. Plus being practical. :-)

Sueb20 thanked yeonassky
  • amykath
    2 years ago

Thanks for sharing Sue! I remember some of your rooms. All so beautiful and have the warm and interesting Sueb touch!

Wait, did you switch out the leather chair for the first one you put as a a place holder?

Sueb20 thanked amykath
  • jlsch
    2 years ago

Your house is lovely and as inviting as the reading room. I love your art! i think the new lamp looks great.

Sueb20 thanked jlsch
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Atk, yes, kinda confusing bc they’re both brown leather?!

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

Sueb, I havent had time to comment, but i love the leather club chair and ottoman in this space. Can't wait to see it with the new pillow. And I am also liking it without the wicker chair. I was on the fence about it, thinking either the cowhide ottoman or the wicker chair should go. Good luck with finding the perfect chest.

Sueb20 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Closest thing I’ve found so far, but I’m going to check out some local thrift/consignment/antique shops. With the legs removed, I think this would come up just under the sill, and it’s 8” wider than current table. I could paint it, or maybe the blue might be ok.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

Oddly, that blue could work.

I think it is always most interesting/satisfying to recycle something found

• amykath
    2 years ago

I am with mtn. Have you checked Marketplace on Facebook? Also type in your search offerup.com

I found this while looking through one of the three websites.... CL, Marketplace or Offerup. I cannot remember. It not likely what you want but costs less than the BB&B and is solid and super interesting. You could take something like this and remove the mirror and/or remove the tiny wheels. Just thinking...

Sueb20 thanked amykath
  • amykath
    2 years ago

I also found a couple others on Marketplace. Under 100 solid wood. You could do all sorts of things with this.

This piece for 200. You could cut off the legs... might still be too high.

Sueb20 thanked amykath
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes, I have been looking! I’ve found the most likely candidates by searching for chests or nightstands. I thought this could be an interesting project but it’s not wide enough.

Most of what I’m finding so far are either too tall — with no logical way to shorten — or not wide enough. I am not in a hurry, will wait til the right thing strikes me!

• yeonassky
    2 years ago

I'm probably still not helping but it occurs to me that you could put a longer top on your existing desk. Then a bit of trim in the front perhaps to disguise it? Anyway just thought I would throw that thought out there in case you don't come across something that works.

Sueb20 thanked yeonassky
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

What is your target width and maximum height?

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yeo, good thought, but my main reason for replacing it would be to get something with more storage, eg drawers or cabinet doors.

Mtn, the sill is only 23” high. The current table is prob 22”. Width-wise, the table there now is 30”, and I’m thinking 36 or so would be nice.

• Arapaho-Rd
    2 years ago

Know I'm the only one thinking a basket under the current table but here goes. Maybe you've got a "new to you" table that your preparing to unveil :)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ha, nope, haven’t found anything yet. I like the baskets and ooh that second chest is very cool. Probably all too big. This is about the right size with 1-2” to spare on all sides. I included the dimensions below.

I found DH sitting in the ”new” leather chair yesterday…so funny that he never sat in the other chair. It is ridiculously comfy.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Not terribly exciting but in the interest of following up…I like the new pillow. 😁

• Jilly
    2 years ago

I do, too, it’s beautiful!

Sueb20 thanked Jilly
  • amykath
    2 years ago

It looks great and with the throw...lovely!

Sueb20 thanked amykath
  • DLM2000-GW
    2 years ago

Oh wow - time to start from the beginning again on this thread. Hadn't checked here in a while since I'm not very good at dithering about which chair in which space. I've missed a lot including a more general tour! Quick glance is very intriguing.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oh, the floor lamp is here, too, but still in its box. I’ve moved the other floor lamp up to the guest room — along with the greenish pottery lamp and the wicker chair annnnd big bookcase that also used to be in this room!

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

That pillow is beautiful Sue! Where did you find it? Do they have different colors? It looks great with that chair!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Tina, it was from Etsy, only one was listed but the maker’s name was The Pillow Spot.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

Hah! I thought the pillow was for the brown chair....

• Allison0704
    2 years ago

Your home is charming, @Sueb20. Beautiful new pillow. Where did you get the round ottoman (faux or real cowhide)? I have been thinkinga bout replacing our wood coffee table with something soft. Since Ellie lost both eyes, it is the one things she still bumps into sometimes. I found a faux animal print one locally that swivels, but the price keeps stopping me from purchasing.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Annie — there is now just one pillow in the room, so it goes on whichever chair is available!

Allison, it’s not inexpensive, but I got it from Room & Board. I also have a small one (20” I think) which I’ve had for years and it’s held up really well — we sit on it, put feet up on it, pile books on it. They’re on casters, which are invisible, so easy to move around. They also come in leather and regular fabrics.

• Allison0704
    2 years ago

Thank you! The one I like locally is $2620 + tax. :D 26D. 19H.

Sueb20 thanked Allison0704
  • Tina Marie
    2 years ago

Thanks for the pillow info! Your room looks great and its been fun ”helping”!!

• Allison0704
    2 years ago

Should have clarified - the local ottoman is fabric.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH