SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elmerjfudd

Another perspective on the ship unloading delays/supply chain backups

Elmer J Fudd
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

The link below is for a video giving insights and perspectives from a merchant marine officer of the current problems being faced worldwide in the shipping industry. And at the SoCal ports in particular. I think it's interesting and presents an inside look at what's going on.

This guy happens to be a Chief Engineer (of equal status to a Captain or Master) rather than a deck officer. His job is to supervise and be responsible for the engineering department on the ship he's assigned to. They're the people who operate, maintain and repair all the mechanical equipment on a ship - basically everything other than navigation and deck operations. They're the technical/machinery guys.

I came upon this fellow in the Spring when the large ship ran aground and blocked the Suez Canal. A video he made describing the problem was referred to and I think linked to from a Washington Post article. That video is still available to watch for anyone interested. He's an educated, well spoken person who does a good job explaining different elements of his life and work aboard ships. If you want to see more of his videos, do an internet search or a content search at YouTube for "Chief Makoi".

Comments (32)