SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bltlover

best bin type to raise euros for fishing

bltlover
10 years ago

Hey all, I have a question about what bin type would be best for my purposes. I want to raise euros for fish bait.

We do a lot of panfishing spring into fall. I bought a small bait fridge that I can keep about 500 canadian nightcrawlers at a time. So the first spring moon I've been picking up about 500, and then when they are gone been buying 500 at a time later in the summer. We've been easily going through 1500 a season and that is with some frugality.

Instead of buying to supplement what I can pick, I'd like to raise euros. I figure for $100 spent there instead, I can start a pretty good supply.

I have access to a regular supply of 3 mo aged horse manure with known de-worming schedule, and I've read this is an excellent bedding/food combo. Also planned to feed veg scraps of course. I was planning to use 18 gallon sterlites in unfinished basement, current winter temp is about 55F. Summertime temp it gets up to around 80F during hot spells. I went ahead and bought four of the 18 gallon, and cut air holes in three so far and hot glued some mesh over the holes to allow air but prevent escapes. Pic is included.

Now I have started reading about flow through bins instead...

I do plan to use the vermicompost, but my primary goal is to have enough worms that I can use for fishing. And I need to be able to access them when needed.

Should I go with the bins I bought and modified ($15 in them and some time and learning, no big loss) or would a FT system built from a 30-50 gallon trash can or drum be better for my purposes? Or something else?

I have two old trash cans I could use, have wheels but broken bottoms. They are 20 year old rubbermaids and probably pretty strong plastic compared to today. There are $13 33 gallon new cans at walmart, but no wheels. I'd have no problem buying two of those.

Which system would work better for me, or would another system be feasible? I live in town, so won't be making any windrows in the back yard!

Thanks a bunch for your thoughts.

Comments (24)