SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swimslikeshad

Euros crawling up the walls

swimslikeshad
9 years ago

Newbie to work farming, started this year.

Came back from a week vacation to find the worms crawling up the walls.

This bin has looked a little weird from the start. Had recently transferred from an old bin and used leaves and office paper as bedding this time (won't do that again). The castings have been lighter in color than normal and it's had a bit of a tendency to be mucky and clumpy in there due to the office paper but have been adding shredded cardboard with each feeding and felt like it was starting to level out.

It's not stinky or clumpy in there now, not too wet actually feels a bit dry to the touch and they haven't had food in over a week and a half but there are some remnants in there from the last feeding from the stuff they aren't as keen on. But still there's a good portion of them trying to venture out and they aren't afraid of the light.

It seems like maybe there are too many worms in the bin, there are loads of them. I wasn't really planning on making multiple bins and was hoping they would kind of self-regulate their population.

Any ideas on what is wrong with the bin and what I should do?
Also--What do you do with your extra worms, you can't really release them into the garden correct? everyone I know thinks my worm farm is weird so can't give them away to start new bins.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting