SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dad_dude

Overseeding in zone 8a: too late?

Just Someguy
2 years ago

TLDR: Overseed in zone 8a (PNW) during a week of moderate rain , or wait until early October and risk frost and weed resurgence?

Longer version:

Bought a house in August near Seattle and the HOA (mistakes were made) is already on my behind about the sorry state of the yard from the previous owner. Looks like I'm getting into the grass game, like it or not.

Front yard space is maybe 1800 square feet, but (was) pretty epically overgrown with dandelions, crabgrass (?) and moss. Really didn't want to use aggressive chemicals (two kids and I'm reading about reproductive and cancer issues from long-term exposure) so bought a Fiskars stand-up weeder and have been thinning the ranks daily.

I figured it was time to overseed. Spent Saturday getting supplies: thatch rake, manual core aerator, seed spreader, good sized bag of Viggoro seed, Lily sweetener, 2 yards of compost, 2 bags of Milorganite (for the back-yard, too). Spent most of Sunday further thinning weeds and manually removing thatch and moss. Now I've got a bunch of bare spots and a few patches of grass, plus some remaning smaller weeds.

My initial plan was to sweeten the lawn, water and wait a day, then aerate, topdress with 1/4" of compost and then seed, followed by the Milorganite (watering frequently to keep moist, of course).

Now, though, I'm expecting a week of rain (maybe 1/4 - 1/2" / day). We'll apparently be drying out around October 2nd or so. My question is:

Can I proceed with any/all phases of this plan in light of the rain, or should I wait for it to dry out? I'm concerned about frost; our first frost average is around 10/6. Feeling like the longer I wait, the more danger the seeds/plants will be in. I'm also worried by leaving my newly-dethatched yard open I'll be inviting the remaining weeds to spread like wildfire and fill in the gaps, undoing my diligent removal efforts and inviting further HOA wrath (boy howdy, were mistakes made).

Thanks in advance for helping a noob out!

Comments (3)