SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chkchkchk

defining foyer area in long open plan apartment

chkchkchk
2 years ago

We have an open plan condo (single story) where the entrance opens into a foyer/living room situation and a dining area with built in bench (floorplan attached).

I would like to make use of the space in the red circle. We have living room furniture, obviously, but it's a LOT of negative space between the LR and the DR. I want to define these spaces as separate areas without involving changes (saddle, paint, architectural feature, room divider screen) to the long back wall.

Two questions:

1. I was thinking of putting a round foyer/entrance table and a round rug with light fixture over it in the red circle area to delineate and separate the LR from the DR area, while also making good use of that otherwise wasted space. Is this a terrible, no good, very bad idea? I know foyer tables are typically reserved for actual foyer ROOMS in houses but I live in a large city and this is what we've got. Thoughts?

2. If I were to do this (assuming it could work), can I get away with using this chandelier in the space (10 ft ceilings)? The fixture is 32" tall and 38" wide. I am familiar with the length of room + width of room in feet = diameter equation - but that would imply a 16" wide fixture for the red circle area, which feels like it would be way too small given that the space is open plan, yes? The other option is to put this fixture in the living area - although it would hang lower than the rule of thumb height for living areas, it would be over a very low coffee table in our very Italian, modern LR (low sofas, 11" tall coffee table - think Minotti-style). But then I feel like that would make finding an appropriately-sized fixture over the foyer table (again, assuming not an awful idea to start with) more difficult?

Thanks in advance for any advice - gotta love Houzz; we never would have figured out how to open our new "pull REALLY hard to open" dishwasher without this forum!

Comments (4)