SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sara_clark7034319

Wood floor, moisture in slab and termites, Oh My!!

Sara Clark
2 years ago

• Sara Clark
    S. Mccarthy: i notice that in the past you have discussed remediation of an entire wet slab of a house, which would involve removal of cabinetry, walls, etc. Can you tell me how this is done? We currently live in the house with dampness in various rooms that have engineered wood floors. We have an expensive membrane coating that was put in one room of the house where the engineered wood floor failed. We put slate over the membrane. Now the adjacent rooms with more wood floor are failing and getting subterrainean termites. If we took the wood floor up in those rooms could we put the membrane on top of that portion of the slab only or do we need to take up the slate also and have the membrane installed contiguously?
  • SJ McCarthy
    1 hour agoThe slab will tell you how this works. The termites are your WORST problem. Water can be dealt with pretty quickly. The TERMITES can take down a house in 10 years or less. That's where you need to start.For termites to get into wood flooring over concrete, there must be a WAY for them to get in. That normally means there is some WOOD that is IMBEDDED in the concrete. Or there is wood that is TOUCHING the ground and then the same piece of wood continues INTO THE AIR and INTO THE HOUSE.Subterranean termites need WOOD that is touching or imbedded IN THE EARTH. That's their 'in'. You must remediate the termites (and get the wood out of the ground to stop the beggars from climbing into your wood floors).Once the animal-destruction-intrusion is remediated you will then go ahead and deal with the moisture. Your animal remediation will most likely require a large amount of demolition. At that point you will probably have a clean slate - throughout the house - to update everything.Check to see if your homeowner's insurance covers termite damage.

Comment (1)