SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eld6161

Floof………nonsense that bothers you

eld6161
2 years ago

This smart pump is STILL not smart enough to finish the bottle.

This is the new improved version and although it get closer than before, I still have to open it with a pliers, turn it upside down to get to use it all.

It’s a few weeks left in there at least!

Comments (119)

• eld6161
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I like her too. She can be harsh, which made for entertainment tv.

• lisa_fla
    2 years ago

Go Fund Me’s for everything

If someone parks in front of my house (I dont know why, but it bugs me)

eld6161 thanked lisa_fla
  • Related Discussions

When you have a great recipe..why do you bother!!!

Q

Comments (24)
    The worst is when you mess with a recipe and the result is FANTASTIC...but then you can't remember exactly what it was that you did. :( I messed up making lemon bars once. This time, it wasn't on purpose. There were two lemon bar recipes in the book, one on each page. One was for traditional lemon bars, the other for a lemon-cheesecake type of bar. I started making one, and ended up finishing the other...no, I really don't know how I did it that...and the resulting bars were absolutely delicious. Never been able to make them again.
    ...See More

White Molding/Trim, but Off-White Cabinets...does this bother you

Q

Comments (12)
    rdas, Have you thougt about lighting? In my kitchen the lighting effects the color of my paint. My cabinets are a shade or so warmer than the bright trim throughout the rest of my house. But, the lighting that comee in from the windows changes the color of the cabinets throughout the day. Slightly of course. And at night the glow from the undercab lighting and the accent lighting also has an effect. My paints appear so close they look like they match. Only I know because I ordered different paint colors. Can I see a difference up close? Not really and this may be because they are by the same paint manufacturer and truly just a shade appart. You will be in a different situation because my cabs are painted and yours are custom ordered. I can only imagine the stress you are under trying to match. I also have the factor of the The Tan Coat wall paint color draws the eye away from whites fighting with each other. Sorry there are pieces of trim missing in this pic. Still trying to finish the kitchen. I hope this can give you an idea that whatever you do choose will probably be closer than you realize. You have excellent taste and I know your kitchen will be amazing. ~boxerpups
    ...See More

Do flickering / flashing lights bother you?

Q

Comments (49)
    I'm bothered by some instances of flashing lights, such as sunlight through trees, or the flickering of a computer monitor. And similar to what Meme Moma describes I sometimes experience migraines that start as he/she describes. Often if I consume enough caffeine quickly enough when the visual symptoms start I can prevent it from becoming a full-blown migraine. Interestingly a co-worker sometimes wears a jacket that has a jagged, black and white, zig-zag pattern, and for me at least her jacket looks like a migraine especially when viewed under fast flickering fluorescent lights. If I look at her jacket for more than a few seconds the pattern seems to start shifting or vibrating or shaking. Another time a different co-worker was next to me with her laptop that had a wildly animating screen saver program. I started watching the fascinating patterns and then >nothing< and then meeting was over. I'm not sure whether I was asleep or in a trance or what, but at least ten minutes was just gone.
    ...See More

Would it bother you? A social dilemma

Q

Comments (63)
    Jasdip, people are weird, right? I have a friend who rambles on and on about people I don't know...often it's catastrophic health things or similar, which I have no interest in. Pretty soon she's talking about her brother's ex-wife's cousin or someone who I have NO interest in hearing about. I love her other than this, but omg! I finally had to say to her one time, "I really don't want to spend any time talking about these people I don't know. Tell me about what's going on with ____" fill in the blank...her or her daughter or son or her grandson, all of whom I have a relationship with and am interested in their lives. It could have gone south when I did that, but luckily she cares about our friendship enough that she understood and it's not been such a problem since. Sounds like there is more than enough immaturity in your town to go around! I just cannot imagine trying to navigate that. I agree with you about keeping social circles separate. I do that, too.
    ...See More
  • maggie200
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

When a relative died or I was the care taker and people put it on me to call them to help. It,s great when they volunteer……”I can pick people up at the airport. Cook a lasagna or keep the dog for a night or two.“

I feel nothing when I get Hallmark cards instead of written note where they may remember a time with my mother.

eld6161 thanked maggie200
  • jane__ny
    2 years ago

People who don't know how to spell. Reading posts from people who use the wrong 'to, too, two, there, their they're. ..hear, here, no, know.'

"He picked up there children. There all going to the park. I bought to drinks. I don't no.

It drives me crazy and I'm always tempted to correct them!

eld6161 thanked jane__ny
  • Lars
    2 years ago

After the comments I have read, Judge Judy seems even meaner than I thought. I dislike her even more now. She is the opposite of the kind of person that I aspire to be.

Judge Judy is a good example of the nonsense that bothers me.

eld6161 thanked Lars
  • amylou321
    2 years ago

I always found it hard to watch her show. While sometimes her meanness was called for, a a lot of times she comes off as simply impatient and condescending. I like hearing her speak otherwise though. She is different on and off her show i think.

I was always a fan of Judge Joe Brown. Still am.

eld6161 thanked amylou321
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I certainly get where you are both coming from.

• roxanna7
    2 years ago

What bothers me every day is the fact that in spite of living in this house for over 22 years, I still hit the wrong light switch almost 100% of the time. These are double or triple switches. You'd think I would have learned by now...

eld6161 thanked roxanna7
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Roxanna, i do this in my basement. My husband decided the closest switch in my laudry room woukd turn in the right side of the room. I still sonetimes turn on the wrong switch because I think it should be the switch closest to that side of the room.

• Cherryfizz
    2 years ago

Continuous loud noise like a sand blaster has always bothered me. Same for music that someone in the area plays for hours and all I hear is the bass. The Detroit Electronic Music Festival is the worst. We are getting new gas lines installed on my street and they are using some type of machine to make a deep hole in the ground using a tube attached to a vacuum truck to suck out the dirt. So loud and the noise starts at 7 am and doesn't stop until after 4pm. When they were doing my lawn yesterday my heart rate sky rocketed which isn't good when you have A-Fib. I put my headphones on but they aren't noise cancelling. Noise woke me up this morning. Thankfully I am going out for the afternoon and won't have to listen to it.

eld6161 thanked Cherryfizz
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

Cherryfizz - have you tried earplugs?

These are what I use to sleep. They are the most comfortable, IMPE - not 100% noise blocking, but enough to make a big difference.

eld6161 thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • amylou321
    2 years ago

People that call and ask for specific information, and then when you start to relay that information, they say 'wait wait wait, hold on, let me get something to write with."

You know you were calling to ask for something that you would need to write down, WHY ARENT YOU PREPARED FOR THAT!?!!??!

eld6161 thanked amylou321
  • Cherryfizz
    2 years ago

Thanks Carol. I should go buy some. I think they will be working on my street for the next month and the constant noise is bothersome.

• lucillle
    2 years ago

Marilyn I wholeheartedly agree. You are awesome, I'm glad the snakes have a good home there (well, except for the idiot visitor).

eld6161 thanked lucillle
  • schoolhouse_gwagain
    2 years ago

Bothersome? Irksome more like it. Commentary people during televised events, (such as the latest Bezos launch among others), who talk constantly throughout the event or introduce "experts" to give THEIR commentary when we just want to watch and listen to what's happening! Shut up already. Do they get so much money per word or sentence? Geeze.

eld6161 thanked schoolhouse_gwagain
  • PRO
    Barbara Pilcher
    2 years ago

When a waiter or waitress asks, "Are you guys doing alright?" When I am not a guy.

eld6161 thanked Barbara Pilcher
  • wednesday morning
    2 years ago

Elizabeth, I, too, find the noise level of "good time" music and ads at some gas stations to be surpemenly off putting and will avoid one if I know that to be the situation. All of that blaring noise is distracting and makes me want to leave as soon as possible and remember to never come back.

At the local Wegmanns there is loud beach style music played in the seafood department. Maybe they are trying to create an atmosphere of beach party at the beach and with loads of fresh seafood that was just pulled from said ocean, as evidenced by the fake barnacle Bill/flipflop/washed up seaweed decor and fake fishing nets hung about. And, of course, it is mainly old American classic rock and roll. What a crock!!!! It is so pathetically laughable!

How inappropriate and awful and loud!

I detest overhead noise and music in any store. Target used to an oasis of nice quite shopping until they revamped the stores a few years ago. I used to browse and like Target, but I dont go there to browse for entertainment or pleasure anymore. They changed the atmosphere and I think that they shifted in the variety of things offered for sale. It has no special appeal to me anymore and I only go in if I am seeking something. I dont linger anymore. There are fewer and fewer things that I want from Target.

One more uttered phrase that is heard far and wide is, "I dont know, you know? I mean...".

• wednesday morning
    2 years ago

About the misuse of words like "too", "to", and the plethora of "theres" and "heres"....

I sometimes find the wrong word when I review my own writings and it makes me wonder if I did that or if it was spell check.

I know very well the differences in these words, but , somehow they still pop onto the page.

It is my opinion that these are sometimes typos and dont reflect the ignorance of the writer, but, there is no doubt that sometime if does, indeed.

eld6161 thanked wednesday morning
  • wednesday morning
    2 years ago

One thing that some do that is almost laughable is when they answer the Amazon questions from others about the product.

The most absured are those who begin their response to an asked question with, "I dont know". So, why did you answer the question if you had no idea of an answer? Still they do it.l

• graywings123
    2 years ago

^^^ I see that all the time. I think it happens because Amazon sometimes sends an e-mail asking whether you can answer a question about a product you purchased. And I guess the responders don't realize their response will show up on the site.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

FWIW, I think the unpleasant music at gas stations is on purpose to discourage loitering.

Here's some utter nonsense I find extremely annoying - 'rolling coal' - vehicles that are made to expel clouds of nasty black smoke on purpose, as some sort of protest and apparently just to be obnoxious. There are a few of these dunderheads around here.

• Elizabeth
    2 years ago

It's not just the music at the gas pump but the 12 inch screen with a newscast on or an ad. We need a screen everywhere now?

eld6161 thanked Elizabeth
  • Elizabeth
    2 years ago

Today. 2 motorcycles went by with their microphone and speakers on talking to each other. Like a loud PA system. When did that foolishness start?

eld6161 thanked Elizabeth
  • maggie200
    2 years ago

@wednesday morning, Wegmann's? What a shame. Customers everywhere for years have complained about music in drug stores and grocery stores etc. The old notion the music keeps the customers shopping continues. I like silence. Leave me alone to my thoughts.

eld6161 thanked maggie200
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I also don’t like the tv’s on in the doctor’s waiting rooms. It is never on a channel that I am in the mood for.

• wildchild2x2
    2 years ago

wednesday morning The words you wrote about Target could have been written by me. Target used to pride itself on being a quiet, distraction free place to shop and browse. Todays Targets are awful, in layout, the ambience and the quality of their merchandise. I run in, grab what I need and run out as quickly as possible.

• salonva
    2 years ago

Interesting about Target. I used to be a major fan and noticed that I rarely go there lately. I wasn't sure if (since we moved) it's because it's less convenient for me, or it just became less appealing. (thinking it became less appealing but then most stores have become less appealing to me- heightened by the pandemic. then again I still find a way to browse frequently at TJM stores).

I put this on the smiles thread, but for what really irks me- is when eating at a restaurant of any kind, I HATE when the server removes someone's plate while others are eating.

eld6161 thanked salonva
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Salonva, , How about, ” Are you still working on that?” when only crumbs are left.

• chisue
    2 years ago

WBBM radio can't stop reminding listeners that it is "Chicago's number one news station", yet when national news begins on the hour, it runs for *two minutes* before being interrupted by commercials. Hard news may -- or may not -- resume for another two minutes. Then they play the self-promotion bit again.

Does anyone really want to hear two minutes of traffic reports every 10 minutes? Just tell me where there's an unusual problem. (Think of the time made available for...more commercials!)

Why do broadcasters interview athletes? Ever! At ALL!

eld6161 thanked chisue
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

Hahaha chisue...you reminded me of an interview with a boxer for an upcoming big fight. The reporter asked, "What is going to be your strategy in this fight?" The boxer replied something like, "I'm going to beat the s out of the mf!"

eld6161 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Rusty
    2 years ago

The use of a noun (such as 'gift') as a verb sounds dumb to me. And it seems it's becoming more and more popular.

And as for Judge Judy, I like to watch her program. She tells it like it is. I'm often amazed at the ridiculousness of some of the law suits presented. And often even more amazed at the appearance and/or demeanor of some of the litigants. Are people really that stupid? And to think, they probably multiply! Scary!

Rusty

eld6161 thanked Rusty
  • nickel_kg
    2 years ago

Oh I got one today. People that only partially empty the clean dishwasher, so the next person who innocently puts their dirty dishes in to be washed contaminates the whole thing! Now who could have done that ... ooops maybe me.

eld6161 thanked nickel_kg
  • wednesday morning
    2 years ago

Lars, I agree with your list of over worked expressions

I would add the words "waiting online", when what is meant is that one is in a line and waiting. "Online" generally refers to being connected to a series of something, such as an electrical grid, or, of course, being connected to the internet.

Another expression that makes no sense is "ice tea", when what is meant is "iced tea". The tea has been subjected to ice, thus it has been "iced".

"Ice tea" would be tea made from ice.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    2 years ago

When somebody says, ”the shopper bought paper towels. The shopper bought a can of tuna. The shopper bought 3 pounds of ham. The shopper bought a gallon of milk.” Augh!! What’s wrong with saying, ”the shopper bought paper towels, a can of tuna, 3 pounds of ham, and a gallon of milk.” It’s like the speaker gets more points for using more words.

eld6161 thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • Ninapearl
    2 years ago

reality tv. since when did this crap become something to be considered "entertainment"? it seems like it's everywhere and no subject is taboo.

i'm happy for you that you found love with a prison inmate but, i don't want too see the struggles.

i'm tickled that you have a seemingly wonderful marriage and that procreating is your job but, i really don't care how you manage to pinch pennies to feed 37 children.

i understand the struggle of trying to lose weight because i've been there but, i don't want to see you lament the fact that you are grossly overweight while you sit at the table and stuff yourself with every high calorie food known to man.

while this will sound totally off the wall, my biggest pet peeve lately has been the new show about the family who lives on a dairy farm and their day-to-day life. i will say, i've enjoyed a couple of these shows about vets/animal care but this one is like listening to fingernails on a chalkboard. one of them is a veterinarian with a clinic right on the farm so there's lots of coverage of her daily doings. she often refers to herself by her profession, calling herself "the veterinarian". however, she pronounces it "vetANarian". i know, i know, i'm being trivial but i gave it 2 tries and i won't watch again.

• nickel_kg
    2 years ago

Anna, me too. I rinse my chickens and turkeys before I cook them -- then sanitize the sink and counter! Wow, imagine that an ordinary person can carefully wash something and then clean up afterward! Those presenters make it sound like we're all splishing and splashing and licking the counters. LOL.

So do you (anyone reading) say "ama-toor" or "ama-chur"? I'm the latter. I say "picture", "amateur", and "mature" all with the same ending sound ("chur"). My mom used to say "ma-toor" and it sounded odd.

eld6161 thanked nickel_kg
  • caflowerluver
    2 years ago

I stopped going to see a movie at a theater years ago. People got to be so rude by making so much noise. They acted like the were sitting at home in their own LR. They would talk to each other or on their cell phones very loudly. I like absolute quiet when watching a movie so you can really get into it. They would even talk to the actors on the screen. Long ago there were ushers who asked people to leave if they made too much noise. I miss that.

eld6161 thanked caflowerluver
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Or, when there is plenty of room in the theater, yet they need to sit right in front me.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

Or next to you...

• wednesday morning
    2 years ago

I cant imagine a movie house paying a good enough wage to have any usher be in the position of confronting an obnoxious movie patron. That is way beyond their pay scale, or it would be if such a job existed anymore.

I can hardly imagine going into a theatre anymore. If the last few decades when I did go, I have found myself to be in a very sparse crowd..... very sparse. It has been decades since I have seen any crowd of any size at a venue like that. But, I havnt been since grandson was younger and took him to see a couple of kids movies. He is 9 now and is much more interested in his video games and ipad. He does not even watch TV.

I have probably been to the movies no more than a dozen times since the early 90s. The cost got so exorbinant and the movies just diminsihed in interest and, I think, quality.

• eld6161
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Carol, one time I was out with two friends and a women had to sit right next to me. Her perfume was unbearable. We all then had to get up and move.

Again, an empty theater. Why?

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

It's hard to understand why some people are like that. I imagine they might crave being near others, even if it's a stranger. My BIL rides the train to work in NY and got very creeped out when 1 stranger kept hanging out right next to him in an otherwise deserted station.

• HU-226559671
    2 years ago

Cooking shows in general. Does the chef really think I would have all those ingredients on hand?

Samkaren your resident

eld6161 thanked HU-226559671
  • wednesday morning
    2 years ago

chisu, I forget that radio still exists with commercials. NPR is the only thing that I have tuned in for in several decades. I am always surprised when I might hear someones radio on a commercial station from a car parked beside me.

I mean no disprespect for your listening choices, it is just that it always surprises me that it even still exists. I also never watch the old networks on the tv, either. As soon as I figure out how to keep getting the couple of things that I do engage with, I plan to cut that dammed cable cord. That is our single biggest monthy expense and neither of us watches anything but national news and streaming.

Actually, I rarely ever even listen to NPR anymore, either.

I like quiet and dont even keep the talking heads on the tv screen anymore. I cant bear the continuous pharmacutical commercials.

Then the news of this nasty world comes on with serious impact to our very lives and our existence and we are hit with an ad for something so darned trivial that it makes my head spin. Really? from world devastation, fire, plague, trump and suddently I am not using the right fabric softener? Really? the right laundry product? Did you not just hear what is happening in the world? Now the advertiser expects to impact my buying and make me think about my what my laundry smells like? My eyes and my mind are crying in angst for our world!!!!!!

It makes me sick to my soul and I prefer silence as I can do nothing about any of it.

• wildchild2x2
    2 years ago

People who never shut up. The ones that have to fill every single moment with their constant, vapid chatter. Can't enjoy a walk with them, can't watch a movie with them, can't go out on the trail with them, can't observe nature with them, constant non stop chatter.

The other minor related annoyance is something I see a slot of women but very few men do. What is this head bobbing/continuous nodding thing women do while conversing. They look like chickens pecking for grain.

To both the above I want to say. Learn to be still.

eld6161 thanked wildchild2x2
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes! i have a SIL like that that. The mundane details she puts into a conversation are exasperating.

• maggie200
    2 years ago

Television sportscasters who talk too much. This just happened during the French Open. It's easy enough to mute it, however I miss the notable guys who talked to the seasoned fans.

• Lars
    2 years ago

I also hate sportscasters, and I mute them if they ever happen to come on during the news. However, I generally do not watch any news shows without recording it first, so that I can fast forward through every sportscast.

Bobbing heads also look ridiculous to me, unless they are Japanese, and then I just accept that that is part of their culture.

I rarely listen to the radio, but I do have my clock radio set to KXLU in L.A. (Loyola Marymount University student radio) and KWXY in Cathedral City, which, although it is commercial, has extremely few commercials, and the ones it has are not obnoxious. It features mostly lounge music from the 1950s and early 1960s. There used to be a Palm Springs station that had this kind of music, but I don't know what happened to it. I guess it just moved to next-door Cathedral City. I prefer KXLU to KWXY, but there are no student radio stations (that I know of) in Coachella Valley. In fact, I do not think there are any significant universities in Coachella Valley.

• jemdandy
    2 years ago

Elizabeth said, "Today. 2 motorcycles went by with their microphone and speakers on talking to each other. Like a loud PA system. When did that foolishness start?"

I suppose that pair who used that setup did not care whom they annoyed not did they care about noise damage to their own ears. Many motorcyclists who do long distance traveling together do not use loud speakers to communicate. In fact, it would be difficult for a bystander to detect when they are communicating. The standard way is a speaker in the helmet, and a mouthpiece noise cancelling, microphone. These are linked from helmet to helmet by radio. With this setup, one does not have to shout, but one should be considerate to shut off his transmitter when he coughs, clears his throat, or sneezes.