SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_887739440

Walk-In Pantry / Butler Pantry combo?

Shar
2 years ago

I'd like some opinions. One kitchen design I'm considering would include a large space that could function either as a walk-in pantry, or as a butler's pantry to get into the formal dining room. Going from the kitchen to the dining room otherwise would require a more winding route out through the hallway, so I'd like for there to be a thru space. There would be enough room for cabinetry/shelving on both sides of the space either way, along with pocket doors. I wouldn't include a sink, as there's a prep sink close enough in the kitchen.

My question is, would there be any significant problems with using the space as both a butler's pantry and for food storage? Going on the assumption that I wouldn't badly need the extra room for storage, so it wouldn't be a great sacrifice. One side of the room would be pantry food shelving, and the other would have cabinetry for the nice dishware, moving through with food, etc. I'm wondering because pantries are supposed to remain cool and dry, which wouldn't be helped in the times when we carry through hot, steaming dishes. I'm not sure if that would be enough to ruin the space for food storage.

Comments (12)