What kinds of sides/desserts do you make for summer barbecue?
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (24)
Related Discussions
What is your favorite dessert that YOU make?
Comments (29)roselvr, do you make the Company Cheesecake from the BH&G cookbook? That's our "old reliable"... back when my dad was teaching he and I would bake twenty or so of them every Christmas for the other teachers and a very few other very lucky people. I much prefer their shortbready crust to the more common crumb crusts. I need a new copy of the OLD big book - the red plaid binder - mine's gone walkabout and they messed around with the recipes in the new version. (Did the same thing to Joy of Cooking. Irritating.) I broke the spine on the paperback in about six places ages back, it's held together with packing tape! Pie for breakfast was a staple at Grammie's when I was a little kid. No half and half though. Slab of apple pie with a hunk of "rat cheese" (very sharp cheddar) on the side - Gramp liked apple best for breakfast, other kinds were for dessert - with "Navy coffee" you could just about stand your spoon up in. (I once had a version where they tried to bake the cheese into the pie. It was vile.) She made terrible crust though. You could hurt someone with the "bone", the bit around the rim. Then she decided to go all "healthy" and the delicious breakfast pie disappeared in favor of a bowl of Wheaties. *mourn* golddust, I do so hate to disagree with you, but I've had enough people insist "oh, I just can't stand that store-bought pie crust", mumbling it around a mouthful of pie... made with that very product. *chuckle* About the third time it happened I decided not to waste precious energy on making piecrust anymore (when you have 4-6 usable hours in a day, you take your shortcuts as you can)... My mom makes kick-@$$ pie crust - perfect texture etc. - but she also smokes heavily so all her baked goods have a strong overtone of "ashtray" to the flavor. We usually give them away to friends who smoke who won't notice it. Oh! I forgot Oatmeal Pie. It's an old Amish/Mennonite recipe, IIRC. It makes a chewy-crisp top sort of like an oatmeal cookie and underneath that is a layer like the gooey part of a pecan pie. As I said above, many of our friends are allergic to nuts, so this is what I bring to a lot of wintertime potlucks as a "replacement" for pecan pie. 25 or so people will wipe out 2 or 3 10" pies and leave other desserts untouched. LOL I used to love making fancy desserts, but they are usually too time consuming for my limited time budget and our friends don't really appreciate them anyway. They'd rather have the simpler, homier stuff....See MoreWhat are you making for Easter dessert?
Comments (42)Lou, yes I remember the bread basket with egg. It was the sweet bread dough. I see on the other thread you made it and it looks great. Did you ever make the noodle pudding with Anisette/anise flavoring? Thanks Terri, I think I'm the lucky one with her putting up with me for all these years. lol. Your helpers have such concentration putting the jelly beans on those cupcakes and love the pic of your helper chowing on the peep bunny. Cathy, $4 a flat......... swoon. I must say that Plant City has enabled me to have my banana strawberry smoothies year round these days and I love it. Our Acme will have sales of the quarts 2 for $5 and that's pretty good, but then they also come on sale $4 buy one get one free. That's when I stock up for my smoothies. Between you and David, now I want some strawberry shortcake though. On biscuits with unsweetened whipped cream....See MoreFruit Desserts for Summer
Comments (7)Here is my absolute favorite fruit dessert for the summer. We have this all the time in my family. It is super easy to make and tastes great. And it is really light. Lemon Berry Dessert By Amy McFeely 1 angel food cake (pound cake can be used too) Warmed lemon curd (recipe below) Strawberries, sliced Raspberries Blueberries Blackberries Whip cream-optional. To put together, put one slice of cake in a bowl or on desert plate. Drizzle with warm lemon curd, and top with assorted berries. Can be topped with whip cream, cool whip, real whipped cream. Your choice. Lemon Curd 3 well-beaten eggs 1 1/4 cups sugar 1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel (set aside) 1/3-cup fresh lemon juice 1/4 cup butter In saucepan mix eggs, sugar, lemon juice, and butter. Cook and stir over low heat until thick, about 15 minutes. (Note: make sure temp is not to high, egg whites will start to cook before the sauce thickens.) Remove from heat; stir in lemon peel. Chill. Serve with scones. Or us as a filling for pie, tarts, etc. I just use whatever berries are available, sometimes just strawberries, just depends on what you like and what you have available in your area. This is our favorite summertime dessert. And we don't always put the whipped topping on it. It is very good with out it. And I use blue bonnet or imperial margarine instead of butter and it turns out just fine. Amy...See MoreGreat Dessert - Summer Torte
Comments (28)I saw it over at the CF and had to try it. I made mine with fresh peaches and it was so good. DS asked where it all went because it was gone in less than 2 days! LOL He said next time make it with the new apples that are just coming in. Or maybe I will use small individual tart pans and make them with all kinds of different fruit. Clare...See More- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Stories

SHELTERING AT HOME9 Ways to Make Your Yard More Fun and Functional for Summer
Have dinner in the front yard, set up a hammock, cool off in an inflatable pool or host an outdoor movie night
Full Story
RUGSA Rug Can Make a Room — but What Kind to Choose?
The perfect rug may be all you need to complete your decor with color, texture and coziness. Here’s how to select the right type
Full Story
OUTDOOR ACCESSORIESThe Shade Sail: Summer’s Most Useful Quick Fix
Stretching a fabric cover over a patio can provide shade, privacy and a shot of color
Full Story
MOST POPULARSimple Pleasures: Savor Summer’s Last Hurrah
Choose from 3 easy celebrations to close summer out in a soul-satisfying way
Full Story
HOUZZ CALLShare Your Summer Garden and Outdoor Living Upgrades
We want to hear about how you’ve made — or you’re planning to make — your patio, porch or yard more enjoyable and usable
Full Story
OUTDOOR KITCHENS10 Steps to a Stress-Free Barbecue
Follow these tips to make sure your grilling parties are sizzling successes this year
Full Story
COLORPatios Look on the (Really) Bright Side With Neon
A little neon goes a long way toward making your patio stand out, with blues, pinks and greens leading the pack
Full Story
CRAFTSMake a Little Origami Box Out of a Sheet of Paper
We show you how to fold two kinds of open-top boxes to use for treats or gifts
Full Story
CONTEMPORARY HOMESHouzz Tour: A Home Designed to Make Work a Pleasure
A house built for working, cooking, gardening and entertaining opens to the landscape while offering shelter from the summer sun
Full Story
ENTERTAININGHow to Welcome Summer Weekend Guests
Thoughtful touches and smart planning will help make your visitors feel at home
Full Story
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)