SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Favorite items from your farmers' market

Lars
2 years ago

We did not go to any farmers' markets during the pandemic, and that is one of the things that I missed most. However, we did go to the one in Mar Vista last Sunday, and we had a very good time there. It seemed more spacious than before, and so I think that they stopped allowing vendors in the middle of the street and had everyone close to the curbs. The street (Grand View) is fairly wide, and there was room for more vendors, it seemed.

There seemed to be less of the cooked food offered, and that's okay with me because I do not go there to eat, except perhaps juice or smoothies, which I still found.

The best thing I bought this time was the heirloom tomatoes, and they were incredibly sweet and tasty. I've never grown these, but I will be buying them again. In the past I have avoided them somewhat because I was afraid that they would not store well, but I learned from ATK that it is fine to store them in the fridge if they are ripe, and that is what I did.

I bought two small heads of lettuce that had somewhat of a bitter taste, but I am fine with that, and the lettuce went nicely with the tomatoes. Lettuce tends to be smaller here in the summer than in the winter, and the winter lettuce has a milder flavor.

We also bought plucots, olive oil, olives, and kale. I really wanted celery but did not find any. I made a kale salad last night, and I found a small green caterpillar in the kale but made a point not to tell Kevin. I sort of see this as a good sign because the caterpillar was healthy!

We're going back to Cathedral City this weekend, but the farmers' markets in Coachella Valley are not open during the summer, except for an indoor one in Palm Springs, which I do want to visit. Next winter I will want to visit the one in Palm Desert, but I have low expectations. I'm a bit spoiled with the great selection of farmers' markets in Los Angeles, which are all open all year - at least the ones that I go to.

Have you been to your farmers' market lately?

Comments (19)