SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Happy Fall Harvest! - new items at Farmers' Market

Lars
6 years ago

I probably go to farmers' markets only every other week or so, but now I am motivated to go more often. I used to go every week when I lived in Culver City, as I would drive by the market coming home from work every Tuesday anyway. Now I tend to go to markets on my days off.

Today I found some new items at the Mar Vista Farmers' Market, which is about 12 minutes from me (not the closest, but one of my favorites), and now I want to go back every Sunday. First of all, Kevin found a stand that sells mamey sorbet, which is excellent. When we go back, I will buy a larger quantity so that I can store some of it. The same vendor sells guanabana licuados, and I bought a large one of those - half of it I stored in the fridge for later. Another vendor had peach Habanero chilies, which I had never seen, and so I bought some of those, since I no longer have chocolate Habanero chilies in my yard, although my plants have flowers and I will get some more in December or January.

This seems like a particularly good time to shop at farmers' markets, as I found excellent produce. This trip I bought green beans, okra, corn on the cob, local olives, eggplant, green beans, bell peppers (all colors), and garlic. There was also a huge selection of fruit, but we just harvested all the apples from our tree and do not need any fruit right now. I found mushrooms also but had already spend all my cash. I did also buy some Greek pita bread and a couple of croissants - one chocolate almond, and the other pistachio.

What is exciting at your farmers' market right now? I am especially excited about the mamey and guanabana. I did recently find mamey paletas at a truck stop on the way to Sacramento a couple of weeks ago, however.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals