SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
novelist_gw

Farmer's Market

novelist
14 years ago

I need your help. Next year I'm going to do a table at our local farmer's market. It is a smallish one, only 15 or so vendors, but they have robust crowds each week. I watched several vendors sell droopy basil for $2.50 for a few leaves and decided to try my hand. The cost is low, $200 entry, $10 a week, and I want to have my daughter learn about public sales - well, it's a shoddy excuse to take my 4 year old out and have fun with her, who am I kidding. OK, I digress.

I am starting to plan the "menu" and could use some help. If you did not grow herbs, but went to a farmer's market, what would you want to buy?

Currently I plan:

Thyme ( German, English, French and Lemon )

Basil (Genov., Purple Ruffle, Thai )

Oregano (Italian, Greek )

Fennel ( Florance and Bronze)

Dill ( uncertain about which one )

French Tarragon

French Sorrel

Parsely (Curly and regular)

Cillantro

Chervil

Sage (Common and Pineapple)

Lemon Grass

Lemon Balm

Mint ( Lemon, Spearmint, Peppermint )

Rosemary

Onions

Garlic ( planing 15 kinds this fall for next year )

Shallots (fall planting)

Marjoram

Hot peppers (4-6 kinds)

I also plan to offer several non-kitchen herbs, just because I grow them:

Borage (some people do use this as a food item)

Feverfew

B. Skullcap

Any other ideas? I already grow all these, so nothing new just for Farmer's market. The only thing I'm doing is cutting down on the varieties of Basil I grow (23 this year) and sage (down from 10) to make more room for the sale items. As much as I like some of these lesser know varieties, I don't expect they have a lot of sale-ability. People will only buy what they know how to use.

I plan to bring home whatever I don't sell and dry them. I'll package the dried items and sell them alongside the fresh. I'll combine things and call them "Italian Seasoning" or "Chicken Rub", so people can just use it like a pre-packaged mix. My value will be organic methods, local crop, and no filler material.

I'm not looking to make a lot of money, it's more about sharing a passion and having fun with my daughter (2 younger daughters coming up as well. I hope to include them in future years). I've done the Farmer's market thing before, but with standard items: tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, spinache, beans. There was too much competition and my small size hurt my sales. This is a niche I think is underserved; I want to plan it over the winter and hit the ground running. So, tell me, what would you like to see at "Herb's Herbs" in your local Farmer's market?

Comments (13)