SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
boulderbelt

CSA vs Farmers Markets

boulderbelt
9 years ago

I have found over the years that I am doing a lot fewer farmers marts and spending a lot more time on my CSA and I have found I make more money with less work and far less stress if I do not do farmers markets.

With a CSA the members have paid up front for their food so I know at each pick up I will get rid of 90% of what i put out for them and That I get paid a set amount at each pick up (several hundreds of dollars 2x a week) no matter what the weather or even if the members show up to get their food (no refunds for missed pick ups).

With an FM you never know if you will sell much and it takes a lot more effort to prepare for a FM than a CSA not counting leaving the farm to drive up to a couple of hours to get to the market and than set up and tear down time. I have made under $100 at market and I have made over $1000, all in the same season at the same market. The $1000 day was sweet, the under $100 days are agony (and i get a whole lot more of those than the $1000 days).

This past season I did a small FM that is very close to the farm and I had fun at the market, picked up several CSA members and have more people coming out to the farm store but we did not make a lot of money. We averaged $110 a week and had a lot of weeks where we did not break $100. Now I am trying to decide if we will go back next year. I do like doing FM's but they take a lot of time away from farm work and if they do not make much money they are probably not worth it.

Comments (18)

Sponsored