SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_895293619

Need help on setting up the 8-zone irrigation system

James Kim
2 years ago

Hello Irrigation experts!

I have recently moved into a new house (our first house) with a 8-zone irrigation system (with above-ground anti-siphon valves). 4 zones are located in the front yard connected to the main waterline. however, the other 4 zones are located in the backyard connected through the potable water pipe from the house, which is something i don't like. I want to separate the potable water line from the irrigation system and two optons i am considering are shown below.

Option 1 is connecting the main waterline to the valves in the backyard. advantage is that i don't have to relocate the valves. however, one concern is the PVC pipe going through a narrow pathway with a lot of trees (and roots). I am sure we can lay the pipe in, but my concern is whether growing roots will put a stress on the PVC pipe and eventually break it in the future, and i won't know if the pipe is broken (or leaking) until i get a huge water bill. I could perhaps install the flow sensor to detect the leak, but that's additional $500~$1000 investment (sensor and installation of power outlet outside).

Option 2 is relocating all the vales to the front yards. advantage is that less-catastrophic event in case a tree root interfering with the pipe because of the valves are ahead (so it would only leak when the valve is on as oppose to contious leaking). disadvantage is 4 pipes have to routed to the backyard instead of one main pipe.

Which route would you go with? Also, if there's an alternative route, I'd love to hear about it as well.

Comments (6)