SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tless195

I need lawn renovation help in Zone 7/8

tless195
9 years ago

I want to renovate my 24,000 sq ft lawn. The problem is I have every kind of grass seed growing and it looks like a patchwork of KY31 and Bluegrass and everything in between. I don't have any soil issues that I know of and I have a lawn irrigation system. My current lawn gets lush and green with few weeds and mostly sunny BUT its just a giant patchwork of grass. I cant stand it. I'm planning on spraying round up this spring, just not sure when to start. Then scalping the yard and removing all the loose grass, leaving a buzz cut dead lawn. I don't have much Thatch as ive kept up with it in the past. Then I want to slice seed KY Bluegrass over entire lawn and apply a starter fertilizer, probably Scotts from Lowes as its easy to start a new lawn. My biggest question is when to start and where to get the seed. Ive looked at the sites for seed mentioned here but I have no idea what blend to get. My biggest fear is starting the project without the right seed and being able to get it before its all gone and ending up with a mud pit and angry wife after 8 weeks. My wife thinks I'm crazy for wanting to kill the entire lawn since we have thick green grass every year and shes happy with that. I am not crazy nor do I want to grow this lawn of a thousand seed types any longer. Any ideas on time frame, do's and dont's, seed blend or no blend. Any encouragement as its a scary thing to kill a large lawn just to re seed it. Thanks for your time, Long time Lurker Tim

Comments (9)