SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spitfire_01

Which is better for zone 7b/8a?

spitfire_01
15 years ago

Which would you recommend for this zone, Emerald Green Arborvitae or Hetz Wintergreen? (Or neither?)

I see Wintergreen recommended a lot b/c apparently it is less prone to multiple leaders; however, I'm concerned about my zone. Most information lists Wintergreen as hardy to zone 7. According to the latest zone map, we're now zone 8. Has anyone here grown the Hetz in zone 8?

Now that I'm hooked on the idea of planting a screen of evergreens, I've been paying close attention to the evergreens used in neighbor's yards. I've noticed several EG arborvitae (at least I *think* they were EG arborvitae) that are 8-10 feet tall and have split at the top. I would think that it would be hard to prune away those unruly branches at that height. I don't want to wait years for my beautiful screen to mature only to have it split and look ratty at the top.

If it helps, this section of yard receives deep afternoon shade thanks to a huge pecan tree. They would receive sun from about 9am to about 4pm. (I will try to pay more attention to the timing of the shade this summer. We will not plant any shrubs until October.)

I'm open to any other suggestions. I'm looking for an evergreen screen between my pool and an existing fence. I don't want to wait 10 years for the trees to reach 8-10 feet, but since I already have a 6-foot privacy fence, I'm not completely exposed. I can be patient with their growth. I like the formal look of the arborvitae and think it would greatly improve the aesthetics of the pool area while adding a little more privacy.

Thanks for any advice you can offer,

Nin

p.s. We are leaving for a Memorial weekend trip so don't think I'm rude if I don't respond to suggestions right away.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting