SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marshaaa

Passionate NC (Zone 7b/8a) gardener moving to Denver area - Help!!

Hello! We are anticipating following our daughter and her family (ok, really our 3 year-old grandson) to the Denver area in the next 6-12 months. I've just ordered my first Colorado gardening book to get started ('The Colorado Gardener's Companion' byJodi Torpey). Currently I garden on 1 acre but hope to get at least a 1/4 acre lot there. As I get older, a smaller yard will be easier to manage and we couldn't afford much more out there. (Sticker shock is setting in.) Like most transplants to Colorado, we hope to find a lot that backs up to open space with a beautiful mountain view, but a deal breaker would be having no yard for shrubs, trees and a few perennials. I was happy to learn about the Denver Botanical Garden and the classes that are offered there. I enjoy taking classes at the J.C. Rauston Arboretum which is part of NC State here in Raleigh. My questions are general. For example, what is the soil like in the Denver area? I've gardened extensively in both clay and sand here in the southeast and have always amended the soil wherever we lived. I'm assuming that will be even more necessary there? Also, we're not sure exactly where we will end up. Castle Rock keeps coming up but so does Arvada. Can we get mountain views in either of these places? Other suggestions? We're planning an exploratory trip out there later this month, but I would really appreciate any info from fellow gardeners. Thanks to any of you who have time to offer some words of wisdom.

Comments (9)