SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_359320216

Walk out basement vs single level crawlspace

Jared A
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, looking for some experience/advice on best direction to go.

I bought some land with existing garage, RV port, electric, cistern and septic system.

I want to build a small house on the mild slope. (14 degrees, about 4' drop front to back)

Garage, driveway, septic and power are at bottom of slope on mostly flat area, so walkout basement would be reverse with basement door being front of house and facing south. I like the idea of walkout basement for the extra storage for canning vegetables, chest freezer, dry food storage, treadmill, family room w/wood burning stove.

We want to keep it simple and small to be affordable. 2 bed 2 bath. Single story crawlspace option would have to have 3rd bedroom for long term storage, probable 1300-1350 sq ft. Walkout basement could be 750-800 sq ft per floor, total 1500-1600 sq ft. unfinished but a couple framed rooms w/ electric. including utility room. and half bath. 1 bed 1 bath on each floor.

Because this is South Dakota and frost footings require 48" I'm thinking it may not be that much more expensive to do the full walkout basement. Also cost per sq ft should be less on basement level so is it reasonable to expect total cost to be similar for 1300 sq ft single level crawlspace vs 1600sq ft total walkout basement house?

I really appreciate any and all comments or advice. Thank you!

Comments (4)