SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimpats

Raised Slab vs Crawlspace - SouthEast Virginia

jimpats
7 years ago

I was talking to a potential builder and he mentioned he prefers raised slab over crawlspace. I am now rethinking my plan to build our house on crawlspace. In his opinion it is tough to maintain a house on crawlspace and control the humidity/mold/air-circulation/critters etc. Extra steps are needed to make crawlspace build a optimum setup.

In my near complete plan we have all wet areas (Bathroom/laundry/kitchen) except a powder room on the periphery of the house. Only powder room is in the interior. Wo hopefully we should have very few pipes inside slab.

We have decent amount of year long rains and we are increasingly seeing more snow every year. Our area is very humid. My lot is in lake view with no chance of any structure coming between end of my lot and lake.

It is a custom build so he can charge accordingly so he should have no need to go to cheaper option to make extra money. I got a feeling he strongly believes in raised slab. He said he would build crawlspace if owners ask but he does propose raised slab as a viable alternative.

What are your opinions?

Thanks,

Jimmy

Comments (12)