SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

I think I should let one of my cats outside, but I don't want to.

Alisande
2 years ago

Some of you have heard about Rocky and Scruffy over the years. Rocky arrived as a stray 7 years ago. My intention was to make him an indoor cat, but after a big fight with another cat (Annie) I put him outdoors during the day and indoors at night (with Annie sequestered upstairs). Scruffy showed up as a stray about a year later, and became Rocky's pal. She, too, became and indoor-outdoor cat.

In early 2020, with Annie gone, I brought Rocky and Scruffy indoors full time. It was a big adjustment for Rocky, who led an active life on our country property, but I was relieved to have him safely in the house. More than once I'd seen him panic when a car came down our dirt road, and instead of running the opposite direction he'd run to his safe place, under the porch--running right in front of the car. Also, he'd had some encounters with other cats, and sustained an injury that I suspect was from a groundhog. So being indoors full time felt like a good thing.

And at first it was. Scruffy, a very small, very longhaired female, wants nothing more than food, warmth, a soft place to sleep, and occasional attention (on her terms). She obviously had a seriously difficult life before she found us, so I'm happy to provide these thing. Rocky seemed happy too. He looks only a little like a Siamese, but he has dominant Siamese genes, displayed in his amazing agility and need to play. I love playing with him, so we started most days that way, with Rocky chasing balls, etc., much like a dog. He also enjoyed lying on top of me if I laid down on the sofa. So affectionate. Great purr!

But at some point Scruffy became jealous of Rocky's playtime. She has no desire to play with toys herself, but I guess she resented the attention he was getting, because she started interrupting his playtime. Despite her small size (and his large size), Rocky is intimidated by her, and when she appears he immediately stops playing. It was around that time that he began doing self-soothing behaviors instead of lying quietly with me.

Things have escalated dramatically. When I was feeding a stray cat on our porch during the winter, Rocky started spraying. The cat has been returned to her owners, but he still sprays at times. He's also doing a lot of licking. If I let him, which I don't, he'd lick me, my clothes, and the furniture. He sleeps normally, but other than that he rarely seems relaxed anymore. And he has started biting. In short, he's a very anxious cat. I read that Siamese are particularly prone to this. The vet said nothing's physically wrong with him.

So . . . since he was a happy cat outdoors, I'm thinking I should give him a chance to go outside again. I'm reluctant to do this for several reasons. The biggest, of course, is his safety. But there's also a risk of him bringing ticks into the house. I'll treat him with Frontline, of course, but that doesn't eliminate the possibility of ticks catching a ride in his fur. I'm sure some of you know how I feel about ticks.

What do you think? It's hard for me to imagine him instantly abandoning his anxiety and repetitive behaviors once he's allowed outdoors, but i really don't know. Before I go to bed at night I spray his favorite sleeping areas with Feliway, and that seems to be helping with the spraying, at least. Can you think of anything else I can do? Rocky and Scruffy, by the way, are still pals in every other way. They sometimes curl up together for a nap, and he's been known to groom her.

Comments (31)