SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
satine100

How do you prepare corned beef?

satine100
2 years ago

I have a corned beef brisket which I normally would simmer in a pot with the seasonings but wonder about roasting. How do you normally fix yours?

Comments (46)

• nicole___
    2 years ago

Corned beef is known as a boiled dinner. For a 3-5lb brisket, I'd put it on high, in the crock pot for 4 hours. The water keeps it moist. It has little fat. I wouldn't roast it.

• eld6161
    2 years ago

I do the same as you do. I simmer in boiled water for 4 hours.

• Related Discussions

How is Corned Beef Made?

Q

Comments (7)
    Most of the information and thread about corned beef is in the Harvest Forum. The people there use premixes which contain salt, saltpetre and sugar/dextrose. I have made Canadian Bacon and I use a brine solution, quantities and ingredients from the following link. I inject the meat with the brine until it has gained 30% if its original weight. I then brine in the fridge for 3 days. Then I either use it for corned beef or make pastrami, following the recipes given in the Harvest forum. Hope this helps Helen Here is a link that might be useful: corned beef
    ...See More

Do you rinse your corned beef before cooking?

Q

Comments (8)
    I don't know that lightly rinsing it would make it "bland", because it's been soaking in that stuff for a long time. But you may be using too much water if you've got a really large slow cooker, that can leach some of the flavor out. I don't rinse it myself, just dump the whole thing in there. I add extra spices too, because the packet is pretty skimpy. Another way to intensify the flavor is to remove the corned beef from the liquid when it's almost done and finish it in the oven.
    ...See More

How do you get a nice tender beef roast ?

Q

Comments (31)
    The Tri Tip roast is referred to by other names in different areas of the country. I found a website that lists a bunch of the steak names...scroll down to #4, Sirloin. Providing your butcher with that information might help. I have also heard a Tri Tip referred to as a Triangle Roast. It's not as though cattle in other States don't have the same muscles, lol, so it's simply a matter of getting the butcher to understand what it is you're looking for. I don't know about pricing in other areas, but here I can generally get them for under $3 per pound, untrimmed...sometimes as low as $2.50. I prefer them untrimmed because it is a lean cut, and why lard/oil/baste if I can get it with it's own layer of fat to do the work for me!! Some recipes on the web claim that the cut gets tough if cooked to med or well, but I have had it many times both ways (even if I prefer my beef mooing) and that is not the case. The only time I have had Tri Tip really tough is when it has been carved by someone who didn't know what he was doing. It is absolutely essential that it be sliced across the grain, and thin slices are better than thick. As I said, it isn't as tender as a Filet Mignon or Prime Rib, but it certainly isn't "tough" as long as it is carved properly. Another Central Valley staple is the bbq Tri Tip sandwich. Thinly sliced Tri Tip (freshly cooked or leftover) slathered with your favorite smoky barbecue sauce in a bun. Mmmmmmmm. Here is a link that might be useful: Tri Tip names
    ...See More

What the heck is 'beef flap' meat, & how do you use it?

Q

Comments (2)
    It's part of the short loin, and it is right above or behind the flank steak. It's sort of the end flap of porterhouse or the tbones. Lots of fiber like flank steak so you cook it fast and make sure to cut against grain. Really tasty and great for fajitas or stir frys or really just thrown on the grill and cut thin like flank. I'd buy it. I love flank steak and like this even better.
    ...See More
  • Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

I'm not a big corned beef fan but I know that brisket can be a tough piece that needs a long cooking period to get more tender. Also, I think a lot of the flavoring happens with the braising in water and the water keeps it at a lower temperature and keeps it from drying out.

Find a recipe, they're probably easy enough to locate and wouldn't vary much.

I wouldn't roast it, I think you'll wind up with something that may be too tough to eat.

• maifleur03
    2 years ago

Roasting could intensify the amount of salt remaining in the meat. The reason for the cooking in water is to help remove it from the brisket and to flavor the water for any added vegetables you want. Some people do cook it in the water then remove and discard the liquid. Not to my taste but I have had one where the person tried browning it in the oven the last hour of cooking time. It seemed to only dry the outside but I do not know at what temperature was being used.

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Roasting brisket is all the rage now that so many have these new fangled grill/smokers. I do not think Corn Beef Brisket is the same sort they roast.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    2 years ago

I've never done other than a slow simmer in a pot, but I remember my grandmother would bake it in the oven. I'm not really sure, but I think she would rinse it then wrap it tightly in foil with sliced onion on top.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    2 years ago

I've been using Anne T's corned beef method the last few years. We like it better than simmered or boiled. It's not salty. I saute the cabbage to go with it. Long, slow, foil wrapped roast with only a little prep work. Yummmm.

Thibaults Table corned beef

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

I've roasted corned beef several times - most recently this past St Paddy's Day - and I really like the way it turns out. Very tender, very juicy and with just a bit of crisp to whatever fatcap you leave intact. There are various recipes online but it doesn't take too much cunning to figure out. Rinse and dry the brisket thoroughly; season as you prefer (I like Dijon mustard, brown sugar and the corned beef spice pack mixed together into a paste); place on a rack in roasting pan; add water or broth or cider to just below the rack; cover tightly with foil and roast at 325 for 2 hours; uncover and roast another hour.

Make sure the liquid does not all evaporate...top off as needed. Times are assuming a 3-5 pound brisket; adjust as necessary. And if you like a bit of a crisp, place fat side up under broiler for a couple of minutes before slicing and serving.

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

Not a huge fan, but the last one I made a few years back I did sous vide and it was my favorite that I’ve made. I was hoping I could find my notes on time and temperature on CF, but I couldn’t find it so I skipped this year. (Meaning I skipped St. Patrick’s Day, it’s a once a year meal at most for me.)

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

gardengal, if it's sitting in a pan with water and tightly covered, it's braising/steaming, not roasting. Uncovering the last hour but with liquid still in the pan will keep the oven humid. Meat browns in an oven with dry heat but won't brown with humid heat, that's why you suggest using the broiler for browning.

As I understand it, roasting strictly with dry heat.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    2 years ago

I understand smoking a brisket (it takes my husband six or seven hours for a large piece, done on the Weber) but if the beef is corned, meaning brined for a period of time, well then I am thinking you would be best served by boiling the meat slowly.

• beesneeds
    2 years ago

If you don't want to do it the more traditional burble with pickling spices corned beef, or do it boiled dinner style by adding in cabbage, carrots, taters... you can do it holiday style. Braising it in the oven low and slow in a mix of tomato product, broth, red wine, and onions, thyme, parsley, garlic, and bay leaf. Sometimes carrots, sometimes a splash of apple cider vinegar added in.

Another good one for the oven is another braise- tomato product, sauerkraut, carrots, with broth, garlic, thyme, bay, Worcestershire, and finished off with some balsamic vinegar and fresh minced herbs. Sometimes some tart apples added in. Good with pirogies.

A mix of apricot or mango jam, brown sugar, soy sauce, cilantro, ginger, and lime juice as a glaze and seal the corned beef up in a packet before baking off is good too. Good with slaws and flatbreads.

Edit to add. I am talking about using an already brined corned brisket for these things sine the OP said they had a corned brisket. It still needs to be cooked before using for tasty other dishes with the leftovers.

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

"I do not think Corn Beef Brisket is the same sort they roast"

Brisket is the name of the primal cut, I think there are two sections to it. Corned (not "corn") beef is what you get when a brisket is treated with a pickling brine.

• Bookwoman
    2 years ago

Sliced, on rye, with cole slaw and Russian dressing. ;-)

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

Or replace the cole slaw with its cousin sauerkraut, add a slice of swiss cheese, and my friend Reuben will love it.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    2 years ago

Well if this is the way we are going, Bookwoman and Elmer, I will take mine on rye with mustard and a pickle on the side. I am easy to please.

• Bookwoman
    2 years ago

Also a good choice, Zalco. Deli road trip!

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

I'm not much of a corned beef fan, as I said above, and also why I playfully said my friend Reuben would like it as altered from bookwoman's approach.

My preference is pastrami but there seem to be different ways to make it. What I've found is that maybe what I prefer is pastrami that's made in the Jewish style. I say that only because I've found it in restaurants that describe themselves as offering Jewish-style food. It's a bit spicier and a bit more peppery. Other pastrami, as is found in my area, is bland by comparison.

Where to find it? Restaurants and delis that describe themselves as offering Jewish food. Not any in my normal stomping ground, a few I've encountered in SoCal, and a few I've come upon in East Coast cities. Where, perhaps, the population of Jewish people is higher and so such places and such food is more common.

• chloebud
    2 years ago

"Corned (not "corn") beef is what you get when a brisket is treated with a pickling brine."

Exactly. It starts out as brisket then is cured in the brine which is also the reason for its red-ish color.

I've never actually roasted corned beef but my mom did, or at least what she called roasting it. She might have used a small amount of liquid, but the end result was way too salty for my taste.

Though not roasting, this is is my favorite way to prepare corned beef. Never disappoints. Also easy to tweak this way or that. I like to use a flat cut for this.

Corned Beef and Cabbage

1 corned beef (5-6 pounds)
    2 onions, studded with 3 whole cloves (onions can be halved or quartered)
    4 carrots, peeled and halved
    2 ribs celery, halved
    4 sprigs Italian parsley

1 green cabbage (about 3 pounds), cut into 6 wedges (See *Note below)
    12 small red new potatoes
    6 small leeks (white part and 2 inches of green), well rinsed (See *Note below)
    6 carrots, peeled and cut into 2 1/2-inch lengths
    Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
    4 T. chopped Italian parsley

Place corned beef in large kettle or dutch oven. Add the onions, halved carrots, celery, and parsley sprigs (use seasoning packet if provided with your corned beef). Cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 2 3/4 to 3 hours, turning beef over in broth every 30 minutes. DO NOT allow water to boil again; keeping at low simmer will ensure tenderness. When it is very tender, remove it from kettle and keep warm.

Strain the broth and return it to the kettle. Add the cabbage, potatoes, leeks, cut-up carrots, salt and pepper, and 2 T. of the chopped parsley. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer until vegetables are tender, 30 minutes.

Arrange beef on warmed serving plater, and surround it with the cooked vegetables. Ladle broth over beef and vegetables, and sprinkle with remaining 2 T. chopped parsley. Optional - serve with Horseradish Cream Sauce (below).

*Note: Keeping the core in the cabbage wedges will help hold them together while cooking. Remove the core before serving. After thoroughly washing, leeks can be tied together with kitchen twine/string; remove for serving.

• patriciae_gw
    2 years ago

We smoke commercially corned beef-corn refers to the size of the kosher salt used back in the day which would be the size of a wheat grain-aka corn when all grains were corn-We rinse the meat, make a nice rub out of the spices and hang in our smoke house for about eight hours, then bake for about an hour in the oven, cool and slice very thin. Pastrami. I have gone to the trouble of corning my own meat but it takes forever and the advantage is not that great. I do cold smoke, hence the baking in the oven.

• Judy Good
    2 years ago

I just made Rueben's today, I purchased corned Beef I used sauerkraut and it was wonderful, I also like Cole slaw.

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

What kind of corned beef did you use for the Reubens - packaged or meat you cooked?

• amylou321
    2 years ago

My mom always put hers in the crock pot. With cabbage.The smell put me off even before the taste of it did. But my parents insisted that it was delicious. Not a fan.

• satine100
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Morz8, I think that recipe is what I had in mind. Since you have used it I think when Im ready to cook it I will give it a shot. Thank you

2 years ago

Satine, I buy a flat not tip when purchasing the corned brisket. And I may go a little lighter with the pepper than she does. Her recipes never let me down!

• cooper8828
    2 years ago

For slices for sandwiches, I make it in the Instant Pot, let it chill overnight, then slice thinly the next day.

• sushipup1
    2 years ago

We put the corned beef (usually from Costco) plus seasoning packet, into the crockpot with a beer. Add onion, celery, carrots, potatoes for last hour or so of cooking,

• kevin9408
    2 years ago

I love the stuff and put it in the oven with a little water and potatoes with the lid on and throw away the seasoning pack. I do the cabbage on the stove top with bacon grease and caraway seeds.

• Olychick
    2 years ago

I always cook mine in the oven and like it so much better than boiled. I usually do it only for St Patrick's day and favor the Trader Joe's corned beef (only available that time of year). It's tender and juicy.

• maifleur03
    2 years ago

Having been what I would call a Foodie, willing to sample anything as long as it could be eaten, I find this discussion interesting. If you have to add a seasoning packet it is not corned beef no matter what the label states. It is corned beef because it has been brined in some manner. There are different methods used to brine. That would be a different discussion as to methods not preparation. Old style corned beef needed to be soaked in several waters both to remove the salt and the vinegar if used. It was labor intensive to prepare vs buying a container labeled corned beef and simply cooking. If in a container simplest method is following the instructions on the label. Then when used to that method branch off to your own.

I have to agree with Elmer that the pastrami from a Jewish deli has a better flavor and texture than any corned beef but they are treated differently in preparation. Based on the one that I used to purchase from part of the flavor difference was the thickness of the slices although one would think it would make little difference. A regular deli would slice each the same thickness where the deli I used sliced the pastrami thicker. You could hold up a slice of one and stretch it so that you could see the slight film of the connective tissues where the other would simply tear.

• bragu_DSM 5
    2 years ago

sous vide ... look for arch's [dcarch] or foodonastump [foas] posts on the cooking forum

or click this thread

• patriciae_gw
    2 years ago

I gather I was talking to myself when I said corning referred to salting in that corn described the size of the salt crystals. Never mind.

• spswash
    2 years ago

From a Jewish Deli in Cleveland, Ohio. Take meat out of package and rinse off. Put meat in pot and add water to about 1 - 1 1/2inches - but do not cover. Bake 3 hours at 300 degrees. Delicious hot or cold. Rubens is a good corned beef and not too expensive. Be ready for it to shrink - buy enough for main meal, sandwiches and corned beef hash. Meat is done with large fork can be poked into the meat easily. We don't do cabbage or potatoes or anything in the pot. Be sure to cut across the grain of the meat for deli looking slices.

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

"I gather I was talking to myself when I said corning referred to salting in that corn described the size of the salt crystals"

I don't think so but I didn't understand what your point was. What I had said was that word used for the adjective was wrong.

If you cook a potato in the oven, it's a baked potato, not a bake potato

If you pickle beets, you get pickled beets, not pickle beets

So if your saying that treating beef with, among other things, "corn salt" is the process for this dish, that's fine. Isn't the result called corned beef, not corn beef?

• patriciae_gw
    2 years ago

I did not call the meat Corn beef though I dont care if they do.

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

I didn't say you did. You hadn't commented in this thread before my comment about the use of the wrong word.

• User
    2 years ago

I don't think I've ever even had corned beef, other than from a deli on a sandwich. I've always wondered about corned beef and cabbage for dinner. It sound delicious but at the same time, I'm lazy and it sounds like a lot of work (says the person who made her own bacon in the smoker a few weeks ago....)

• ccrunneroklahoma
    2 years ago

We love the roasted corned beef with cabbage and roasted carrots and potatoes with horseradish cream sauce by the Once Upon a Chef food blogger and cookbook author, Jenn Segal. It is delicious, easy and minimal cleanup. There are lots of reviews of the recipe on her website.

https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/corned-beef-with-roasted-cabbage-carrots-potatoes.html

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

ccrunner, the corned beef recipe pictured in your link describes placing the meat in a pan, adding water, and then tightly covering it. I believe that cooking method is a combination of steaming and braising, not roasting. The meat is being cooked in a damp environment, the covering is tight so that the moisture doesn't escape.

• ccrunneroklahoma
    2 years ago

You are correct, my error. The vegetables are roasted while the corned beef is braised.

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

I think it's the author's error, not your's. The heading on the recipe is "Roasted Corned Beef" and that term is used a few times in the recipe, including when she says "I prefer to roast it in the oven".

• chloebud
    2 years ago

"It sound delicious but at the same time, I'm lazy and it sounds like a lot of work..."

Debby, it's really not much work and more a matter of time since it takes the meat awhile to cook. I know the recipe I posted looks long, but it's more about the time it takes to cook the corned beef low and slow. It usually comes with a seasoning packet, so you could just add that to the pot with the meat and water. Use whatever veggies you like once the meat's cooked. It's truly one of my favorite meals.

• colleenoz
    2 years ago

Here's a different take. I simmer mine in ginger ale.

• bob_cville
    2 years ago

I've only made it once from a corned beef that the store decided to substitute for the cut of meat in the order that wasn't available. I followed the recipe here:

https://damndelicious.net/2019/03/06/instant-pot-corned-beef-and-cabbage/

and I thought it turned out really well. I used napa cabbage because that is what I had on hand, and thought it was the best part of the recipe.

2 years ago

That looks very good, Bob. And would certainly shorten the cooking time of my long slow roasting. I don't have an instant pot, but do have a Fagor elec pressure cooker that could do the same thing ;0) I've never pressure cooked a corned brisket but would be open to trying.

• patriciae_gw
    2 years ago

Because of this thread we picked up some corned beef today to smoke for pastrami. We got several pounds and will try different rubs just for fun to try new flavors. We have perfect smoking weather, cool damp with no wind for the next few days. I dont like to fire up the stove connected to the smoke house when it will be windy. DH always says it will be fine but he isnt the best judge of that sort of thing. We use alder for smoking. Thanks.