SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
outsideplaying

Learned something about bluebirds today

3 years ago

I have been keeping bluebird nest boxes for many years. We have 4 scattered around our property and I did a lot of reading about them when I was first getting started. A lady who formerly owned the local Wild Birds Unlimited also helped me with lots of advice too. This was 20+ years ago. And in the old GW days there was a bluebird forum, which was quite helpful.

So today I was out putting out bluebird nuggets and dried mealworms. I knew one nest box had a new nest so I had to peek to see if any eggs were in it. I was totally surprised to find 4 white eggs! They were about the same size as a bluebird egg. In a little while I saw Mama Bluebird peeking her head out the hole, so I watched to see what she would do. She finally just flew out.

I was rather busy doing some cleaning in the garage, so when I finished I ran in to check and see what interloper had laid these eggs in my Mama Blue’s nest. I was all prepared to steel myself for having to get rid of them. Imagine my surprise to discover that some bluebirds lay white eggs! I was amazed to learn this, and also find that if they ever do this, they will forever lay white eggs. Here is a screen shot from the Sialis website that discusses this. I know a few of you love bluebirds and birds in general and may have even known this. I just learned it and wanted to share.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida