SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Learned something about climbers...

jacqueline9CA
11 years ago

This forum and the Antique Rose Forum are fantastic - I am always learning new things. A new piece of information was posted inside of a thread on the Antique Rose forum lately that I think is important enough to repeat here.

There are frequently threads started here along the lines of "why isn't my climber climbing?", "how can I get my climber to climb?", "I must have gotten the bush form, not the climbing form of this rose, because it is not climbing.", etc. etc.

Well, what I learned, thanks to Anita passing on a comment from Anne Belovich, is that some climbing roses won't climb unless they are tied up to, or at least touching, some sort of support. If they can't perceive a support, they put out fatter, stronger, and shorter canes, to provide the support they need themselves. (Think of a picture of a large mounding rose in the middle of a flat meadow.) If they perceive a support, they put out longer, thiner climbing canes. This makes so much sense from the perspective of how climbing roses evolved in the wild - if you find a tree or bush, climb it to get more light. If no tree or bush is handy, make yourself higher by creating an internal structure.

Just wanted to pass this along on here in case folks hadn't seen it -

I can think of several examples where this was going on in my garden and I didn't realize it. One example - I planted a rooted cutting of Cl. American Beauty in a sunny spot about 3 feet away from our house about 7 years ago. It grew to about 2 1/2 feet tall, and stopped. Last year in frustration I took a new still growing cane that was just long enough to reach the house and tied it horizontally, so that maybe the final 6 inches were up against the house. Now that cane has gotten 3 feet longer, and two more long canes have emerged from the base of the plant, both of which I have tied up to the house.

Just another example of the great stuff folks learn on these forums - I have never seen this mentioned in books -

Jackie

Comments (8)