SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srb2398061

Something I just learned about my Corian countertops...

Anglophilia
6 years ago

In early 1985, I had new Corian countertops (Glacier White) put in my kitchen along with doing some other things, but no cabinet replacement. I have loved these countertops over the years, and actually reused them when I did a new kitchen last year. I had to have a 5' section added due to moving the refrigerator. I was a bit surprised that the new one was so "shiny" - didn't remember my old one ever being that way. But I'm old... I did notice that it had what many have complained about - a slightly "plasticy" feel/look about it.

I set about to fix this and over a year, regularly giving it a good scrub with Ajax, it now looks like my old counters. I'm very glad about this! As I said, I just figured out it was a matter of not remembering.

Today, I was down my basement and going through a bag of old dishtowels I use for cleaning, and what should I find in the bottom of the paper bag, but my old original Corian sample! And it was NOT shiny!

I looked on Corian's web site and discovered that Corian comes in three finishes It states right on duPont's web site that Corian comes in THREE different finishes: matte/satin, semi-gloss, and high-gloss. It went on to say that the integrated sinks have a matte/satin finish. Well, THAT would be why my sink matched my countertops so nicely 19 years later!

I have no idea why my fabricator didn't order matte/satin or if this something he was to do, he didn't do it. He was in a HUGE rush as he had a big job out of state. Ajax took care of this for me, so all is well.

But this explains why so many think Corian looks "plasticy" and why I don't. Mine looks like honed marble!

So, if you're considering Corian, ask to see samples in the various finishes. If your fabricator or supplier doesn't have them (and is probably going to tell you that it comes in one finish only!), just call duPont and they will send you some. There is a HUGE difference in how the solid surface feels, just as there is between shiny and honed marble, or leathered or polished granite.

And no, it has in NO WAY affected how my countertops have worn! They look as good today as they did when they were installed in early 1985!

Learn something new everyday..

Comments (51)