SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jb0441

NuCore Performance Luxury Vinyl Flooring Review

J B
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I decided on this vinyl floor despite the lack of reviews, and thought I'd post info here. I've only had it for a week so far, but its great. When I got a sample, I dragged chairs across it, dropped hammers and pots on it, no damage. During install, my refrigerator and extremely heavy desk were sitting on parts of the floor for hours and no dents or scratches. No complaints so far. I have agreeable gray walls in a few rooms, and a beige/sand dollar paint in some others. Also painted my bathroom blue, and included pictures of the NuCore Whistling Hills with those colors for reference.

If there's no updates to this, flooring is still great, but I will still try to update. If anything goes wrong, I will post back here.

Photos:

Agreeable gray wall

Beige/sand dollar wall (haven't painted door trim/doors white yet to match trim)

Color of floor is lighter than what the pictures show, and is more light gray overall

Comments (113)

• snaegeli
    last year

Thank you JB for your review and pictures of the Whistling Hills I was hoping it would have some warmth to the color, and the pictures definitely seem to show that. But you say it looks mostly gray in your comments so i purchased a box and feel it also looks mostly gray when i lay it around in my house. Can you tell me if appears as a light gray when installed in a large room? I’m concerned it could maybe seem too light colored. i know the pics I’ve taken dont look anything like what it looks like in person Thanks in advance for your opinion!

• Diane Cullen
    last year

I have not heard back yet.

• Related Discussions

Beach House Flooring - Luxury Vinyl Tile & Sunlight or Other Options?

Q

Comments (15)
    Terry, as a consumer of flooring, who owns beachhouse(s) that have been in my family for years, both where we lived and as rentals, this discussion would not be happening in my family. Tile is the way to go. If you think it's too "hard", then have plenty of rugs to soften it. Hardwood? No. I think about open windows (not perfectly de-humidified in every season, as hardwood would require), not worrying about the inevitable entrance of sand into the home. Who would want to live at the beach like that ? A little bit of sand on a hardwood floor will destroy the finish--unless you are talking about a purposefully rusticated, perhaps engineered wood floor. But you mention renters: all bets about maintenance are off. Your renters are going to maintain your de-humidified house? And they're not going to leave windows open to catch the fresh air? And they're going to both remove their flip flops and shower outside, every single time they enter? With kids? No, no, nope. Beachhouses make me think of carefree summer-y lifestyles, where kids run in and out wet and sandy, where guests come to live the indoor-outdoor lifestyle, with boogie boards, flip flops, and beach walks. With bbq's going all summer, and people going in and out to use the restrooms, the kitchen, etc. I would not mess around with LVP, especially in a sunny place with coastal sun. That is not what flooring stores near our So. Cal. coast would recommend (and we bought flooring within the past 2 years). And listen to the flooring pros tell you about window film! I love you flooring pros, but in a sunny location, after-market window film voids many a double-paned window warranty, and the reason is because it can cause a heat build-up and lead to cracking. Yes, you can choose to spend even MORE money on window film, chasing after the protection of your brand new wood floor--but you surely can't keep the renters from opening the windows on a sunny day. The best bet is tile.
    ...See More

my new luxury vinyl flooring...love this floor

Q

Comments (11)
    Looks really good! Everyone poo poo’s in vinyl but I get nothing but compliments on mine, and so easy to clean! Especially with kids and pets and their endless accidents!
    ...See More

Reviews on luxury vinyl tile vs real wood for kitchen

Q

Comments (6)
    If the kitchen flooring is next to any type of wood floor I would go for a non-wood look for the LVT. Rule of thumb is not to install natural wood next to imitation, BUT if you find a wood look LVT that works with your area and the way your daily lives function then by all means you do what BEST FITS YOU. Good luck with your selections!
    ...See More

Kahrs Luxury Vinyl Plank flooring - ISO reviews or knowledge of.

Q

Comments (0)
    I cannot find any reviews on the quality of Kahrs LVT flooring. Kahrs has been around for a long time and is known for wood and engineered wood flooring. They are newcomers to the luxury vinyl world and I can't find a single review of their LVT. Has anyone here installed them or have feedback on the product? We really like the Oulanka color because it is a light blonde with very little grey tones and the patterns have low variation in color and wood grain and it's not too knoty. Can anyone recommend another LVT that is similar? I'm hesitant to buy the Kahrs without seeing reviews.
    ...See More
  • rpmalister
    last year

Just finished installing POMPANO PINE RIGID CORE LUXURY VINYL PLANK from the WHISPERCORE line. Really wanted to go for something from the Whispercore line as the number one reason for our floor replacement was sound reduction.

1. The product seems high quality. The flooring company had no trouble installing it. I haven't seen a scratch yet. Went with an LVP because I have seen too much water damage in my life. Almost went with a beautiful hardwood, then imagined a leak occurring from a condo above me months after installation.

2. I have a two-bedroom condo. We didn't do the kitchen or bathrooms. The total cost of the project was 17k. This included a new subfloor and underlayment. This is a major decision.

3. When you look at Floor and Decor, online or at the store, know that the pictures of the flooring are warmer and shinier than the floor really is. Look at the actual planks not at the pics. If you use F&D's Visualizer, know that is not the true color of the planks.

4. Big Problem no one has mentioned is repeating patterns. Had I known how frequently the patterns repeat on the planks, I might have made a different choice. Since the project has finished I looked this up. You are supposed to lay out the planks first and check for repeating patterns right next to each other. The flooring company I used didn't do that. They grabbed from the box, not looking at the pattern, and laid them down as fast as possible. This an installer problem however, the sheer number of planks that randomly repeat right next to each other shows me there aren't enough different patterns for a realistic look. Most of the floor is covered with furniture/rugs, but I found an area in a very obvious place where 5 repeating planks touch. The way the installers laid the planks, is a deal breaker for me. I want a fake floor that isn't obviously fake. Make sure you tell your installers, you aren't ok with repeating pattern planks right next to each other.

• PRO
    Annette - Realtor
    last year

I have BOTH Nucore products in my home. Their initial product on my entire first floor (1200sf) and their performance line in my master bathroom (200sf). i love the look & feel of the performance line in my bathroom! The first floor, however, is awful! its clicky, definitely scratches and dents and the worst part is that it is warping and coming up in front of our sluding glass door. its actually creating a trip hazzard and my Dyson & Roomba get caught on it!! How do i fix this?? my installer says its a manufacturer issue for sure. luckily i have 10 extra planks that he will replace for me before Thansgivng

• king0411
    last year

Well I wish I knew about this site and seen the reviews before I purchased the product. Installed 1,000 sf of the NuCore Performance LVP (3) months ago over a (18) year old concrete basement floor. The LVP flooring was installed by installers who have been installing floors their entire lives. With the last 7- 10 years of their installs being almost entirely LVP. This was the 1st time they installed the NuCORE brand LVP. The installers commented saying the product appeared to on the high end of what they have installed in the past.

We have no issues and are very satisfied with the appearance and durability. HOWEVER we are experiencing the same "popping" and "cracking" issues others have experienced. It is VERY disturbing and annoying and totally unexpected. I realize and understand there are a few places where the floor is not perfectly level. However it is safe to say we are experiencing this issue over a fair amount of the floor. We have added area rugs which have helped mask the noise, but there are a few locations where the "popping" and " cracking" permeate through the area rugs.

We have yet to reach out to F&D but are about to soon. Upon reading the comments, I am not to optimistic F&D will be attentive to our concerns.

I am not sure if other LVP would have the same issues. Not sure if an underlayment would help with eliminating the issue. I can only say if you are considering this product, don't be surprised if you experience the same "popping" and "cracking" issue many of us in this forum have.

• Vincent Hodge
    last year

This is a common theme with tis product. I believe it is because it is so rigid/brittle. Its a tradeoff between incredible durability and scratch resistance vs a softer plank.

• S Anderson
    last year

It was difficult to find reviews at all about NuCore Performance LVP, which should have been a red flag, but here we are anyway. 2500+ sqft of flooring, professionally installed, that all has to ripped out & replaced 10 months after it was laid. $12,000 for the flooring, $16,000 with installation, and no one is willing to accept accountability for this terrible product. It is warping in every room, the areas in which no visible warping is present pop & creek, even under the weight of a 5 year old, and the edges are peeling. I wouldn’t recommend this product. I'm happy to know that it has worked out for some people, but it’s a gamble I wouldn’t be willing to take again.

• Asen Marchev
    last year

S Anderson, what was the color/shade you picked ? also are we talking about multilevel house ? mix of concrete and wood subfloor ? lastly age of the house ?

• Vincent Hodge
    last year

Thats awful! S Anderson, Floor and Decor is not standing behind this?

• Stephanie Velde
    last year

I am totally unhappy with product and floor and decor did nothing. warranty is useless

• lisaboo60
    last year

Ugh, I have been trying to pull the trigger on new flooring for so long. Everyone says "Go with LVP, so much better than wood." People say it has more texture than most wood and I need something with the least amount of slip possible, that isn't carpet. Glad I found this thread, as I have been looking at Core-Tec, NuCore and Home Depot's Malibu brand. All have many reviews with the clicking popping issue, so thanks to all who have posted. Hopefully, I'll be able to find something that won't irritate the heck out of everyone. I hate hearing someone spent $20,000 on something they now have to tear out.

• Joe
    last year

I haven’t found any comments about the temperature or feel. For those that are happy with their Nucore performance, does it run cold like tile or warmer then tile? Does it feel like tile when walking on it or softer?

Like many others, I have sampled at least 2 dozen other brands. All scratch and dent to varying degrees. But not the Nucore performance.

• Jennifer Jewell
    last year
    last modified: last year

We've got the NuCore Performance with the Ridgid Core - Beckham Honey. My husband installed it on 3/4 of our first floor. The day after he did the living room, we got a six-month-old puppy. This floor has taken a beating in the last 12 months, crazy dog, five-person household, heavy traffic. Not one scratch, not one dent.

It's definitely cold/cool in the winter. We have a woodstove in the basement and it stays warm down there, which keeps the floors a bit warmer but without that I'd be wearing socks a lot more. And it definitely feels fake. Not smooth like tile, but not like hardwood either. I can't explain it but I've gotten used to it.

There are a few places that pop/creak a bit and we hoped they'd go away and maybe they have or maybe I'm so used to them but I don't even notice anymore. It has pulled away from the baseboard in two places. Probably a 1/16" gap. Just enough to be noticeable but not enough to worry about - we'll be keeping an eye on it for sure.

We tested vinyl flooring from a number of stores, at all price points, bringing home samples to check the lighting, etc. The NuCore Rigid Core was VERY different from the standard vinyl NuCore. I took a utility knife and hammer to both sample pieces. One pass with the knife cut right through the vinyl on the performance. I sawed at the Rigid Core for minutes and left a few scratches. It's not super slippery like a few we tested and it was relatively easy to install - but my husband is super handy so I can't say that'd be the case for everyone. No underlayment over the hardwood, like the instructions specified.

I have to say, the Rigid Core was the best floor we found and we're really happy with it.

• Melanie Adkinson
    last year

We opted for the NuCore Performance Whistling Hills Rigid Core. I, too, did extensive research online and tested a sample. Because there were virtually no reviews at the time, we purchased 4 pieces to snap together and lay over carpet (so less support than an official install) and I used this as my flooring under a rolling office chair for a week. Not one scratch, dent or bend even. I also tested with tomato sauce and bleach left on over night - no issues, just wiped up without a stain. And dropped hammers and screwdrivers from overhead - no dings. I believe that there is a HUGE difference in the Performance Line with Nu Core and the Standard line. Every negative review I found was in regards to the Standard line.

We installed ~1200 square feet in living and kitchen spaces about a year ago with no complaints. The only area that we have that "pops" is in a transition from existing house to new addition, which I expected due to a slight height difference. We also did not use an underlayment.

As for feel and temperature - to me it is only slightly cooler than wood floors, not as cool as ceramic tile. The rooms that abut our LVT have both wood and ceramic tile floors, so I regularly feel the difference. Warmest to coolest would be wood, LVT, then ceramic tile. It's softer than ceramic tile, about the same as hardwood flooring (I dropped a glass and it did not break).

Overall, we love it and are thinking about installing it in my husband's workshop since it has been virtually indestructible.

• HU-746353306
    last year

I RECEIVED STORE CREDT AFTER MONTHS OF CORRESPONDENCE, after an inspector came out. Contacted an attorney who wrote a letter on our behalf. Did not reimburse cost for installation.

• Joe
    last year

Just had 1200 sq ft installed of the performance Love the product. No denting or scratching but it does making light popping sounds when walking on it. Can only hope it settles after some time.

• Tonya
    last year

Hi Joe, we are thinking about laying the NC Performance Sugar Sand 8mm in our house. Im concerned about the popping sound. We will make sure to have the house leveled. Did you use the recommended Sentinel Protect Plus Underlayment over the concrete? Im hoping by using that we would have less of an ussue if there is one. Thanks for any help you can give!

• Joe
    last year

Yes we used the sentinel protect plus. Floor was leveled to 3/16” inch per install instructions. I believe the popping sounds are due to the limestone SPC core and maybe tiny air pockets, or something with the density during manufacturing process. This is just a theory though. The popping sounds are a bit annoying but not terrible, and likely a minor trade off for having such a dent and scratch proof floor.

• Lisa Fitzpatrick
    10 months ago

Do not use NuCore. That is a terrible floor. Nothing but problems and in the process of starting a class action lawsuit. They do not stand behind their warranties at all. Always blamed on install. Contact me if you want to be added to the list. A girl Amy has started this with a lawyer.

• dg1904
    10 months ago

We had Nucore LVP installed at a one-story home we planned to sell in Nevada and absolutely loved it. It is texturized and provides sure footing for oldsters. It is a dream to take care of. We sold that house and moved to Washington. We got the same product for our home with 2 sets of stairs. We decided to get stair treads for the stairs. The stair treads and LVP look the same, but the stair treads are flat with no texturizing or cork on the back. We are very disappointed because the features we loved on this product is not there on the stair treads and it won't have the same sure footedness as the flooring. I really wanted to feel safe on the stairs. This is a design flaw that should be fixed as it is more dangerous for older people and they could fall on the stairs. Why would you design it in this way?

• dg1904
    10 months ago

We used Nucore LVP when fixing up our home to sell a couple years ago and loved it. It is texturized and provides sure footing for oldsters like us. It is a dream to clean. We sold that house and bought a house with two sets of stairs. We bought the same Nucore LVP for the entire house and got stair treads for both sets of stairs. The LVP is the same texturized product as before but the stair treads, while looking the same, do not have the texturized finish or cork backing. We are very disappointed with the stair treads and feel the stairs will not be as safe. Why would anyone design the product for the stairs with a finish less safe than the flooring? People want to feel safe on the stairs.

• USMAN Shafi
    9 months ago

Need help!

My contractor installed around 900 Sq feet of 8mm nucore 2 weeks ago and same issue with joint ends poping and locking and unlocking when we walk over it. They denied my claim as i used 3mm quiet walk underlayment on subfloor and it is not recommended as per manufacturer. My subfloor is level.

Any advice if i take the whole floor out and take out underlayment?

• Joe
    9 months ago

Installation instructions are very clear. You can only use their underLayment product if you want warranty support. I read every word of the warranty and installation paperwork. The popping and creaking are due (from my research) to the plank locking mechanism not being tight. The joints don’t fit super flush when locked in so there is small movement when walking on them.

• USMAN Shafi
    9 months ago

@joe Any advice if i should rip out the whole floor and take out underlayment?

• Lisa Fitzpatrick
    9 months ago

Yes Joe the locking mechanism is defective. The floor sucks and they will not waraanty anything, even if you did everything right.

• laurenposma
    8 months ago

The color is beautiful and the floor is hard as rocks. Those are the only good qualities about this floor. 10/10 do NOT recommend. This flooring is a SCAM and I should have taken the lack of reviews as a red flag. They pop, no matter how well they were installed and how level you were able to get your floor (its the "locking" mechanisms, or lackthereof that make the popping noise). Breakage upon installation was very unexpected and very stressful $$$. Professionaly installed or DIY- DONT DO IT.

https://www.tiktok.com/@user8617548469769/video/7242700909631868206?lang=en

• Lisa Fitzpatrick
    8 months ago

Call Matt Metzer and be added to our very long list of dissatisfied customers. 513-488-1135

NuCore and Floor&Decor suck.

• Tina Marie
    6 months ago

Don’t bother with this Nucore floor. They do not stand by their warranty! i made a claim, had a professional come out, after about 10 days i received the report saying i didnt have my furniture pads under my furniture on correctly, that wasnt even my complaint! My complaint were dents in areas where i dont even have furniture placed! I called the company back and of course got into a heated discussion with them but they didnt bother to change anything on the report! Now I have to live with these visible dents all throughout my house and its an embarrassment! My floor is about 2 years old, in addition, the dents are all the same roundness and size in areas i dont have furniture there!! All this money spent for my entire 2200 sq foot home went to waste!!

• HU-564722831
    4 months ago

We installed this in Sept 2023. Everything seemed fine in the beginning. in Nov we bought a Cross-Wave Bissel vac-mop, it uses water and solution. We noticed the floor seemed to be buckling. We’ve been told its not the installation. It’s the fact that we used water and it is seeping between the cracks. No one said not to use water, you should only use floor cleaner. We now have a $14k floor that looks like crap. Product was purchased through Floor and Decor and they will not stand behind the product. The box says its 100% waterproof, but that just means the top is, not the cracks. I would not recommed this product for the fact that it is false advertising.

• Lisa Fitzpatrick
    3 months ago

Please call Matt Metzer to help us start a class action lawsuit. The more of us the better. .

513-488-1135

• stephanie_lomax92
    3 months ago

Please add me to the list of class action law suit. Stephanie Lomax 336-209-1406
    Professionally installed and has been horrible!! Floor and decor are blaming it on installation.

• Lisa Fitzpatrick
    3 months ago

Stepanie call Matt Metzer 513-488-1135 to be added. Tell him it’s in refereference to NuCore. We all have to complain to get anything done. He will probably ask for you to send pictures as well.

• king0411
    3 months ago

i purchased this exact same flooring for our basement. Had it installed by professional flooring contractor. Have had issues and Flooring and Decor would take no responsibility. I am all in on a class action suit

• Jim Murr
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

I’ll be joining that class actuon suit as well, had 2500 sq feet of the NuCore Performance product installed on a new build 8 months ago. Looked and worked great initially, then we started hearing the popping and creaking, followed by the warping and cupping. F&D is trying to blame it on installers, (who have been installing LVF for over 20 years) saying that unless they poured leveler to keep the floors within 1/8” over a 10’ span, they voided the warrantee. First of all, there isn't a house built that is that level and even if it was, that doesn’t explain the cupping and warping. We are litteraly tripping on the joints. Truth is, that ”new” product with it’s techtanium core is just too hard, and too brittle. Will not conform to a concrete slab like thinner products do and have. I installed waterproof flooring at my business 5 years ago that I purchased from Sam’s for less then $2 foot, that haven’t given me the kind of problems this crap has. NuCore is absolute junk.

• Vincent Hodge
    3 months ago

Wow what a bunner!

• Lisa Fitzpatrick
    3 months ago

Please everyone call and be added to our growing list. It’s definitely a NuCore problem.

• Jim Murr
    2 months ago

How is this NOT a manufacturung problem? 9 months old, every piece they took up was warped like that.

• Lisa Fitzpatrick
    2 months ago

Because Floor&Decor sucks and will never stand behind any product they sell.

• Robert Sheridan
    2 months ago

• Robert Sheridan
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

We had Nucore LVP Brookstone Ivory installed in December of 2022. Area is close to 2000sq/ft

Noticed problems in May of 2023. Notified Floor and Decore, the manufacturer Nucore and Installer (we used Installer recommended by Floor and Decor while at the store shopping for floor material). Hired a floor inspector and found 100% of our floors are cupping and warping.

Nucore took 2 planks from our attic stock and they said their product is ok and the "LACK OF EXPANSION and increased moisture content" is to be blamed. We both don't trust Nucore and the Installer. We just hired an attorney (We're located in Florida) because we still don't have a resolution and we feel both Nucore and Installer will not take any responsibility or maybe just point fingers at each other.

Definitely very dissatisfied with our floors. It's a tripping hazzard too because some areas the floor have lifted and my wife being pregnant and having kids at the house it's a constant reminder of how bad our floors are. We've had visitors also tripped on them not just us.

It's disturbing to see people here having the same problem.

I just called Matt Metzger to be added on the list.

• HU-746353306
    2 months ago

I called Matt Metzger but have not received a call back.

• Lisa Fitzpatrick
    2 months ago

All of it is a manufacturing defect. Almost all inspections say it is always install issues and I believe they all are in cahoots with one another. You are one of the few lucky ones. Good luck.

• king0411
    2 months ago

Robert can you share who performed the applicable field test along with the analysis & conclusion?

• king0411
    2 months ago

Robert that is the exact flooring we installed September of 2022. Approx. 1,000 sf in the basement on a concrete floor...

• Robert Sheridan
    2 months ago

• Robert Sheridan
    2 months ago

Apex Flooring Inspection Services did our report. They take detailed photos (they took close to 150 pictures) and measurements. Our claim is still on going but we had to hire an attorney last week because we were not going anywhere. Disappointing.

• Robert Sheridan
    2 months ago

King0411

We also have some areas where we hear crackling/popping when you walk on them. You even see in a lot of areas that the floor is bouncy. It's so frustrating.

• Renee Be
    last month

I just purchased the LVP NuCore form the F&D. The installers started to put the floor down but it was breaking. This is a common theme with tis product. I believe it is because it is so rigid/brittle. I tried to take it back to the F&D but they stated behind the product and said that installers made a mistake when putting floor in. I lost about $1500 with F&D as even though it was bad product they didn't take the opened box back. It was so frustrating since the workers lost time installing the floor and then taking it down. I was very disappointed with customer service. I will try to contact NuCore directly about this product. Just FYI few boxes were ok, but a lot of them were breaking. they also packed couple of boxes broken in half.

• Joe
    last month

F&D took my unopened boxes back and I got a refund. If the box was opened though, they might not take it

• Lisa Fitzpatrick
    last month

Floor&Decor sucks. A lot of us are out a shitload of money because of this floor. Tgey are the worst company that I have ever dealt with. Unfortunately we can not all afford to hire a lawyer😩