Do you have a project to learn something new in the kitchen?
5 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (37)
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Discussions
Learned something new to share with you!
Comments (36)When cutting borders or binding, I usually go to the trouble of measuring the length and the width of the quilt along the median lines (where the quilt would be folded in half)--a suggestion from someone here to avoid stretching and to get the binding on opposite sides to be the same length. If I didn't pin, I might get to the end of a row and find I don't have enough binding to finish it! Once in a while, for a very narrow binding on a quilt I think won't stretch, or a quilt I don't like or respect (LOL--you all can imagine what sort that might be), I don't bother to measure, and in that case, I just push the edges of the binding together as I go along, stopping stitching to do it if necessary. The quilt I just finished for the car (See thread on meandering) falls into that category because I had great trouble making all the blocks from a swap fit together neatly, and the colors don't appeal to me. It still looks pretty good done, though, and DH, whose car it will go in, loves it. I have never been much for finger-pressing, unless to prepare something for "real" pressing right afterwards! :0)...See MoreIf you could learn something new for a day.....
Comments (23)Joann, hate to disappoint... I have a stunning kitchen with beautiful appliances but haven't a clue how to cook. I have no basic cooking skills and really very little desire to cook. My mother hated cooking and was terrible at it so that I was never taught anything. The only thing I did in the kitchen as a child was wash dishes, make coffee in a percolator and try to find my mother's meatloaf recipe so I could toss it away! :-) I figure if I spent a day learning the basics with the right person, a love for the art of cooking might rub off on me....See MoreYou learn something new everyday!!
Comments (10)Love her video and her roses and all those gorgeous salvias. Unfortunately unless your blackspot pressure is low to begin with it simply does not work. I have many of my roses under planted with salvia since lavender doesn’t grow here very well and they just completely defoliate without spraying =(. Maybe one day I will really find something organic that works, but so far only buying genetically resistant plants have worked besides the usual fungicide spraying. It is always great to hesr what works for others. One organic method that has really worked here for me here (not for fungus but for thrips and aphids) was buying pirate bugs and releasing them in my garden. Also we get a million of Chinese lady bugs overwintering in my old house. The past few springs after seeing huge aphid infestations I did nothing and the lady bug larva really cleaned them up quickly. The pirate bugs seemed to also remain enough to help with the thrips. So no more bug spraying here so far ( i dont have much midge or other stuff)...See MoreYou learn something new every day
Comments (46)The Disney show Frozen had a song about it, too. Here in Arendelle The winters can be well Let's just say it's not so very good But even at this latitude We'll keep a happy attitude Until we burn our final piece of wood See, there's a word we live by To keep our feelings great You don't have this word in English But allow me to good translate Hygge Hygge means comfortable Hygge means cozy Hygge means sitting by the fire with your cheeks all rosy Hygge hygge hygge hygge hygge hygge Hygge hygge hygge hygge hygge hygge Hygge-ly hygge-ly hygge-ly hygge-ly hygge-ly hygge-ly I will translate more Hygge Hygge means comfortable Hygge means cozy Hygge means sitting by the fire with your cheeks all rosy Hygge hygge hygge hygge hygge hygge Hygge hygge hygge hygge hygge hygge Hygge-ly hygge-ly hygge-ly hygge-ly hygge-ly hygge-ly I will translate more Hygge means candlelight Hygge means easy Hygge means all together playing, how you say? Parcheesi Finding a spider in your shoe Not hygge Having an annoying thing to do Not hygge Hygge's not scheduled You can't see where it starts or ends Most importantly it can't be hygge without your family and friends...See More- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
Related Stories

WHITE KITCHENS4 Dreamy White-and-Wood Kitchens to Learn From
White too bright in your kitchen? Introduce wood beams, countertops, furniture and more
Full Story
CONTRACTOR TIPSLearn the Lingo of Construction Project Costs
Estimates, bids, ballparks. Know the options and how they’re calculated to get the most accurate project price possible
Full Story
BEFORE AND AFTERSKitchen of the Week: Bungalow Kitchen’s Historic Charm Preserved
A new design adds function and modern conveniences and fits right in with the home’s period style
Full Story
MOST POPULAR19 Kitchen Projects Every Homeowner Should Know About
Could your kitchen use a new sink, a backsplash, updated hardware, better organization, a good cleaning? Here's how to get started
Full Story
LATEST NEWS FOR PROFESSIONALS5 Things These Professionals Learned During Recent Projects
Architects, designers and builders reflect on how a single renovation project changed the way they do business
Full Story
GREAT HOME PROJECTSGreat Home Project: Pass-Through Kitchen Window
Love indoor-outdoor living? See 5 windows that make serving drinks, snacks and meals alfresco a breeze
Full Story
BEFORE AND AFTERSReader Project: California Kitchen Joins the Dark Side
Dark cabinets and countertops replace peeling and cracking all-white versions in this sleek update
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNNew This Week: 3 Modern Kitchens With Something Special
Looking to make your kitchen feel unique? Look to these spaces for inspiration for tile, style and more
Full Story
KITCHEN CABINETSLearn the Lingo of Kitchen Cabinet Door Styles
Understand door types, materials and cabinet face construction to make the right choice when you shop
Full Story
COLORReady to Try Something New? Houzz Guides to Color for Your Kitchen
If only mixing up a kitchen color palette were as easy as mixing batter. Here’s help for choosing wall, cabinet, island and backsplash hues
Full Story



Islay Corbel