SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ninapearl_gw

meet my new pup!

Ninapearl
2 years ago

pippin arrived a week ago today and is settling in like a champ! at 14.5 months old, she is the youngest dane i've ever had but she's very mellow and is happy to cuddle on the couch when she's not outside tearing around the yard and terrorizing squirrels. LOL

eden has been wonderfully accepting of pip. after losing her best friend 3 months ago, she has been sad, spending most of her time just sleeping. pippin is helping both eden and me heal from our loss.

pip is the brindle...

Comments (48)

• lucillle
    2 years ago

They are both magnificent!! I love Pip's brindle coat! I bet you buy a LOT of dog food!

Ninapearl thanked lucillle
  • foodonastump
    2 years ago

Gorgeous! They look very natural together, glad that’s going well so quickly. Lots of dog food and I imagine couches don’t last too long either?

Ninapearl thanked foodonastump
  • Related Discussions

Can I leave my new 'Ice cream' pup outside

Q

Comments (1)
    Andy, it should be fine outside.
    ...See More

My new pup!

Q

Comments (2)
    Nice purchase. I love your pot too. I am starting to build Agave garden, in our front slope bank. It's always fun to hunt for you collection either online, swapmeet, local nursery, garden center and even trade and swapping here. Happy gardening.
    ...See More

Meet Oh, My Gravey! New kitten.

Q

Comments (48)
    SO many beautiful cats! Thanks for sharing all the photos, girls. Gravey has had a wonderful day. After she used her box this morning, she was allowed to roam the house, with supervision. The other cats caught glimpses of her and she met 2 of them nose to nose, Sammie and Parker. Sammie was a little nervous of her and Parker hissed and spit some but no one attacked her. Yay. So she played and wandered and I left to run errands. She spent about 1.5 hours napping in her daddy's lap and he was trying to get stuff done but refused to disturb her! lol He IS a softie. We have a rule here- if there's a cat in your lap, you are "pinned" and the other person has to wait on you, whatever you need. Unfortunately for him, though, he was home alone! lol Now I'm home and she's been upstairs playing with a little mousie toy that Parker loves. Parker watched her and behaved well, but isn't playing with her yet. Maybe tomorrow. The dogs are behaving well, too. The adult ones are used to new cats, but the puppy is a little exuberant. Otherwise, though, Quigley is doing very well. All in all, it's going better than I'd hoped. Gravey slept in the office last night with her own huge litter box and food and water and when I turned her light out, she was cuddled up on a quilt in a rocking chair, all sleepy after a wash.
    ...See More

Meet my new friend

Q

Comments (65)
    That's good news. When I rescued Mia we did all the tests and she tested negative for heart worms. So she was started on the preventative. We brought her a few weeks later for blood work before spaying. She tested lightly positive so we had to delay spay and go through the dreaded heart worm treatment. Vet said she likely was just infected the first test but not enough to register. Boy it is very difficult to keep a little puppy quiet and still! Everything went well and she was able to get spayed.
    ...See More
  • nicole___
    2 years ago

Pippin is a beautiful girl! I'm so happy she has a beautiful home and someone to love on. What's her story?

Ninapearl thanked nicole___
  • eld6161
    2 years ago

Oh my, be still my heart ❤️

Ninapearl thanked eld6161
  • sal 60 Hanzlik
    2 years ago

beautiful dogs

Ninapearl thanked sal 60 Hanzlik
  • Ninapearl
    Original Author
    2 years ago

What's her story?

she comes from a preservation breeder in iowa (about 4 hours from me). i have known her online through our mutual love of great danes for 12+ years. she has 2 other danes she is taking on the show circuit and another champion female that was bred a couple of weeks ago. because of her crazy schedule she decided to place pippin in a companion home instead of showing her.

eden and i lost our best friend 3 months ago and ever since, we have both been sad. when hailey contacted me about pip, it could not have come at a better time! eden will be 8 years old in july but still has lots of play in her. i can tell she is happy to have another friend!

actually, eden only eats 2 cups of kibble for breakfast and 2 cups for supper. pippin eats 2.5 cups at both meals so i don't really buy a LOT of dog food.

as for couches, in all my years of danes, i've never had one that chewed anything it wasn't allowed to. of course, they all came to me as adults and puppy shenanigans were in their rear view mirrors!

they each have their own couch. i take turns sitting with each of them in the evenings. eden has always laid on the couch with the cow blanket. i am training pippin that the other couch is hers and tell her to "go basket" and she'll climb up there. :)

• whistle_b
    2 years ago

Beautiful dogs and story!

Ninapearl thanked whistle_b
  • blfenton
    2 years ago

They're both beautiful dogs. How lucky for you all that you have become a family.

Ninapearl thanked blfenton
  • Uptown Gal
    2 years ago

She is absolutely beautiful!!!!! Thanks for sharing "her" with us. She looks so regal

and proud. :)

Ninapearl thanked Uptown Gal
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

Wonderful and so glad they are getting along well!

Ninapearl thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • yeonassky
    2 years ago

Pippin is beautiful! So glad you and Eden found her! I can see her helping you with the healing so easily.

Ninapearl thanked yeonassky
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    2 years ago

She looks wonderful, Nina. And so great she's adapting so quickly. That's a very pretty girl you've added to your household.

Ninapearl thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

Brindle is my favorite coat color! She's very beautiful 🙂

Ninapearl thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • amylou321
    2 years ago

She is GORGEOUS.

Ninapearl thanked amylou321
  • marilyn_c
    2 years ago

They are both beautiful! Congratulations on your new friend!

Ninapearl thanked marilyn_c
  • Lukki Irish
    2 years ago

I didn’t know you’d lost one of your babies Ninapearl, I’m so sorry. Pip is beautiful and looks like she has a lot of personality. Congrats on the new family member!!!

Ninapearl thanked Lukki Irish
  • Alisande
    2 years ago

They are beauties!

Ninapearl thanked Alisande
  • blubird
    2 years ago

Pippin has spectacular ears. As they say in my house, she fell in good. I remember many of your Great Dane pals.

Ninapearl thanked blubird
  • Ded tired
    2 years ago

Beautifu dogs. They look so happy. Nice for all of you.

Ninapearl thanked Ded tired
  • Ninapearl
    Original Author
    2 years ago

thanks, everyone!! i couldn't be happier with how pippin has adjusted in just one week. she is wonderful off leash and she LOVES the zoomies. i have to stand back so i don't get smushed!

@Lukki Irish, i lost olivia 3 months ago. she was a rescue, i got her when she was 8. had she made it to april, she would have been 14 which is pretty much unheard of in the world of danes. even more remarkable, i had been treating her the last four years of her life for a heart condition. sadly, she was starting to become overrun with arthritis and it was a kindness to lay her to rest. i will always miss that sweet girl, she was my constant companion for almost 6 years and was eden's best friend. it was one of the toughest losses i've experienced but i wouldn't trade my years with olivia for all the tea in china!

• nickel_kg
    2 years ago

Sweet memories, and sweet memories in the making. I'm very happy for you :-)

Ninapearl thanked nickel_kg
  • murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    2 years ago

Congratulations on bringing Pippin into the family. I'm so happy they have settled in so easily together. Must be all the love and good vibes in your house!! Wishing you many happy years together!

Ninapearl thanked murraysmom Zone 6a OH
  • socks
    2 years ago

I figured you’d get another pup eventually. This worked out well. She’s wonderful.

Ninapearl thanked socks
  • ritamay91710
    2 years ago

What gorgeous puppers!

Ninapearl thanked ritamay91710
  • Michele
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Olivia was a gorgeous dog. I’m sorry for your loss.

Pippin is so beautiful. I’m happy for you and Eden! (Who is a beauty too).

A Great Dane with the zoomies! That must be something else!

Ninapearl thanked Michele
  • Rusty
    2 years ago

Wow! That is a LOT of dog! ! ! Sorry you lost Olivia, and glad Pippin is settling in so well.

Rusty

Ninapearl thanked Rusty
  • maggie200
    2 years ago

Seeing your pups is a wonderful experience. Did they come to you trained?

Ninapearl thanked maggie200
  • Ninapearl
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@maggie200, yes. all of my danes have come to me as adults. all of them except for eden and pippin have come from a couple of different rescues and all have been well trained so i have been so so lucky! raising a puppy at my age just isn't in the cards for me so when opportunities like this arise, i can't say no!

pippin takes cuddling to a whole new level!

channeling her baby yoda. LOL

• Lukki Irish
    2 years ago

Awe, I’m so sorry. All of your Danes have been so beautiful and full of personality. I feel the same way about my lab Ellie. I got her as a pup and I can’t believe she is nine now. She’s my shadow and I love her dearly.

Ninapearl thanked Lukki Irish
  • anniesjacuzzi
    2 years ago

Ninapearl❤️ I am thrilled for you and Eden... I know how much of your heart you lose each time you lose one of your babies. Pippin is beautiful...just like Olivia was❤️......Robin

Ninapearl thanked anniesjacuzzi
  • maggie200
    2 years ago

I would love to see them next to an adult to understand their majesty. I adore your story. I have tears of sadness for you.

Ninapearl thanked maggie200
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    2 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous Dane! Someone spent a lot of time and effort on getting those ears to stand so beautifully! I have racked many sets of ears and those are awesome. My condolences on your loss.

Ninapearl thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • Ninapearl
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@maggie200, here's a picture of the 3 of us (i'm the one in the middle, hehe). pippin has another 9 or 10 months of growing to do before she reaches adulthood. she probably won't get any taller but she will fill out and get broader.

@ravencajun Zone 8b TX, she has the longest crop of any of my danes, past and present! i know it takes tons of dedication to get this result. i can't imagine the time it takes and the inevitable frustration along the way as i know it can take many months before they no longer need posting/taping!

• Jen K (7b, 8a)
    2 years ago

In a nod to We Rate Dogs, "Please don't send us pictures of elf horses we only rate dogs. Rating 15/10." https://mobile.twitter.com/dog_rates/status/1387835584366796800

Our family is on the completely other end with dachshunds, but I absolutely adore your beautiful Danes. Unfortunately they're too big for us so we admire from the small dog side of the park. Enjoy!

• lgmd_gaz
    2 years ago

Pippin has my heart. She is beautiful, as any Great Dane I have ever met. Have never had a close relationship with one, but I know that they are gentle, loving dogs. Size has nothing to do with their personality. She and Eden make a house full of love..... it is obvious!

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    2 years ago

"elf horses", that's hilarious!! @Jen K, people are always surprised to know that danes don't need a whole lot of room. as long as they get sufficient exercise, they are happy to pretty much snooze on a comfy bed or a couch the rest of the time. i have several dane friends who live in high rises in the city with their danes. :)

@lgmd_gaz, she has mine, too! she has turned out to be a total joy and you would think she and eden were raised together. many people will tell you not to bring in another female dog because there will most likely be squabbles that can escalate to an all out bloodbath. that has never been my experience with danes. i've had as many as 3 females living together, all acquired at different times, and never once had a single snarl or curled lip from any of them. it's truly a thing beauty to behold!

i put pip to the test on saturday and left her and eden alone and loose in the house while i visited my grandson in the city. got home 5 hours later and there wasn't a single thing out of place. i have pet cameras in every room so i could check in on them often. all they did was sleep.

squirrel patrol...

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

Pippen looks very much at home. Congrats on the new family member. Many happy moments in the future for all of you!

Ninapearl thanked ci_lantro
  • Ninapearl
    Original Author
    2 years ago

pippin proved to be worth her weight in gold today. my dearest brother-in-law lost his old Australian Shepherd saturday night. he'd had her since she was a puppy, she was 13 years old. he has been very sad the past couple of days and kind of wandering around the farm aimlessly. he stopped in to see us today and as soon as he sat down and we started talking about nellie, he got weepy. pippin just seemed to sense his sadness and she climbed up on the couch with him and cuddled for 2 solid hours. he said it was the best therapy ever and he'll be back tomorrow for another session. aren't dogs just amazing!?! i'm so glad she could lift his spirits!

• Jen K (7b, 8a)
    2 years ago

2d from the top, your BIL looking at the camera and Pippin down, is the shot! But I also live the top one, too. Yes dogs are so intuitive and great consolers.

Ninapearl thanked Jen K (7b, 8a)
  • Ninapearl
    Original Author
    2 years ago

now that we are all vaccinated, my dog sitter and her friend came out to visit and meet pip. no lap is safe from this girl!

i put pippin to another test yesterday and left her home alone while i took eden to the vet to have the pressure in her glaucoma eye checked. we were gone for a couple of hours and looking in on pippin from my pet cameras, she pretty much laid the whole time in front of the door waiting for us to return. you would think we had been gone for weeks with the greeting we received!

• eld6161
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

That is hilarious. I love how much everyone loves these dogs.

Ninapearl thanked eld6161
  • nicole___
    2 years ago

Me too! I love that you take such good care of these babies! Great body language! ♥ Thanks for the fun photos!

Ninapearl thanked nicole___
  • Jen K (7b, 8a)
    2 years ago

"you would think we had been gone for weeks with the greeting we received!" The dachshunds every time we come home.

Ninapearl thanked Jen K (7b, 8a)
  • Ninapearl
    Original Author
    2 years ago

thanks for the comments! pippin is proving to be such a character. i've had several male danes over the years and they have always been so much goofier than the usually-reserved females but pip is giving those boys a real run for the money!

@Jen K, i have to remind myself that dogs really have no sense of time. whether i'm gone for 5 minutes or 5 hours, i always get the same enthusiastic greeting. i've gotten to where i give quick pets and then try to ignore them till they settle. if i pay too much attention, it seems to cause a serious case of the zoomies and 290# of zooming dogs looks and sounds like a herd of a hundred elephants! lol

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    2 years ago

eden and pippin are pretty much inseparable now. they are such a joy!! i have been trying, off and on, for the past several years to wean myself from the anti-depressant i've been taking since i lost my husband 13 years ago without any success. it seemed that every time i tried, within just 3 or 4 days, i felt myself going back down the rabbit hole. i've been without it for just over 2 weeks now and feel just great!

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Jen K, such a cute pair!!

i've left one or the other of the danes home for up to a couple of hours and all they do is pretty much sleep when left alone.

i get what you mean and most problems arise when a person brings home 2 puppies from the same litter. it takes some pretty intense training to end up with dogs that can be comfortable when they're separated. i have a friend who had never heard of littermate syndrome and
    brought 2 puppies home, littermates. i gave him suggestions as far as training and 6 months later, his pups are doing great.

before i had ever known it wasn't the best idea, i brought home 2 siberian husky littermates. i guess i was very lucky that the usual problems with those arrangements never cropped up as i had never heard of the syndrome way back then!

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    2 years ago

i'm not a big fan of "virtual" training. there are just too many variables that can pop up for a virtual trainer to be able to deal with. if you want a puppy, you'd be much better off with an in-person trainer you would find locally. lots of stores like petsmart offer beginner classes in a group setting so that's another option. also, there are such things as "boot camps" wherein you leave your dog with a trainer for a certain number of weeks and supposedly you get your dog back all spiffy and trained to a T. i STRONGLY discourage these places for several reasons. a dog left at a "board/train" facility is completely out of your control. you have no idea if he's being fed properly, exercised enough (or in the case of a young pup, exercised TOO much), or if he's being abused by methods that have proven to be ineffective (hitting, training with shock collars, etc.). i have known of so many horror stories of dogs even dying at these places and there isn't a soul i would trust with my dog(s). also, it's just as important to train the OWNER as well as the dog. at these board/train facilities, owners are rarely allowed to even visit, let alone participate in training sessions.

my best suggestion to you would be to decide on the breed you would be drawn to and check with rescues in your state/nearby states to see what's available. there are breed-specific rescues with tons of dogs that need good homes as well as lots of mix-breed dogs waiting for forever homes.

great danes are wonderful dogs that don't require tons of room, are extremely people-friendly and with proper introductions, willingly accept the companionship of other dogs. i've had danes for 14 years now. nine of my past danes came from various rescues, all as adults and a few of them were even seniors when i got them. they do have their downfalls, though, mostly the fact that vet care and even routine things like flea/tick control and heartworm preventatives cost way more than what you pay with smaller breeds/dogs. the breed is also flooded with less-than-reputable breeders who churn out litter after litter of puppies from parents that haven't been health tested for the many genetic issues the breed can have nor have they been screened for temperament which leads to so many "cute" puppies growing into aggressive adults. the last thing anybody needs is a giant breed dog with a questionable temperament. i've always been very lucky that all of my past rescues (all except a couple of them having unknown backgrounds) have all been very sweet and even-tempered.

so, that's my take on your question. check out rescues and local shelters and see what's out there. you can often find young puppies but please don't overlook the adult dogs!! i can tell you from personal experience that when you bring a rescue/shelter dog into your life, they are forever grateful and will worship the ground you walk on. there's no better feeling in the world than to give one of these dogs a good life!