Do you have an OXO Salad Spinner?

Jasdip

Hubby and I bought it, as I was less than thrilled with mine. It had a big black button you push down to make it spin. We both thought it would work great and be ergonomic.

I don't use the spinner often at all, but used it today for my spinach. Hmmm, I really couldn't get a lot of momentum out of it, and the spinach was still wettish.

Do you have one and do you like it?

SaveComment18Like
Comments (18)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fun2BHere

I have one with a pull cord. It seems to work fine. I have no idea what brand it is.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Nope. And I agree that the pushbutton top on OXOs is less than ideal.

I have this one I found @ walmart.com and I like it a lot. I've had it a couple of years now and it's holding up very well. I see it's now sold by Amazon and Home Depot, among others.

Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

I have the same. Maybe 10-15 yrs now? It has moved downstairs to storage and maybe will go to the garden shed for harvest greens. Or the barn.

It works great but I like my mini herb spinner taking up much less space and can easily go into the fridge for prepped salad greens and micros. I empty the water collected, then put a small clean cotton kitchen cloth in the bottom to keep it dry.

I vaguely remember the lid part easily come apart,? Snaps apart?. Maybe the gear teeth are not lined up. It should whip fast with ease. I have a mesh big veg bag that I take out onto the deck and arm whip it. Much easily stored once dry.

Save    
plllog

My folks had one. You have to push down on it several times to get it fast enough.

I have the original Italian one with a crank like carols. The crank's orbital design is very efficient. It doesn't have the “salad bowl”. I don't know where they expect you to put your veg while you do each batch and clean and dry the bowl, but whatever...

Save    
foodonastump

I have it. It does fine for me but I’ve got over 200 pounds of downward force helping really get it going. I hadn’t thought about it until this thread, but if I were a lot smaller I’d probably not be happy with it. The crank ones are easier and would be my choice next time.

Save    
colleenoz

The Ozeri one Carol posted is pretty well identical to the one I have from IKEA, which is very effective and easy to use.

Save    
sandyslopes z5b n. UT

I've had the OXO salad spinner for several years now. Works great for me. I push the plunger down about 5 or so times and let it spin! It does a great job of getting my greens dry.

Save    
HU-455869934

I have the OXO and think it is passable if not too full. I’m sure there’s some modification involving an electric motor that dcarch has done!

John HU Liu

2 Likes Save    
vinmarks

I’ve had the Oxo one for years. Works fine for me. I actually use my elbow to push the lever down.

Save    
CA Kate z9

I have an OXO and it works fine for me, but, like others have said, you have to give it several down-pushes in rapid succession to get it going fast.

Save    
lindac92

Also have the OXO....and have used one at church that I think i Pampered chef. I ma not much for salad spinners...I do the whip around in a towel thing or in the case of romaine pat each leaf.
The OXO goes really fast ...I pump it a couple of times and if I have a bunch of baby spinach or parsley, it does very well...I empty the water a couple of times, and when I do I "re fluff" the greens and it gets stuff really dry.

Save    
bbstx

I have the OXO. I‘m fairly well pleased with it. Like others, I push it 5 or 6 times to get it spinning. I also tear a paper towel in quarters and tuck the pieces in among the greens before I start the spinning. I read somewhere (maybe Cooks Illustrated) that tucking pieces of paper toweling in with the greens helps absorb water. Oh, and I don’t fill it full. Not more than 1/2 - 2/3 full.

Save    
Fori

I have it. I don't use it often but it works fine. Pump it until it screams.

Save    
lizbeth-gardener

I've had the OXO with the big black pumper for years and I do love it. As many have said, you do have to push it down several times in rapid succession to get it whirling. I put it on a silicone honeycomb potholder so it can't move. And if very wet, you may have to dump water before you are through. My daughter has the one with the lever, which I hate. Maybe you got a lemon. OXO is good about standing behind their products if something is defective.

Save    
foodonastump

Kind of laughing at myself for my prior response. Using it for the first time since posting and realizing no need to bear full weight on the thing, gentler acceleration with softer pushes gets the same result! (I still prefer the crank.)

1 Like Save    
Lars

I have the Mueller salad spinner, and I like the way it works with the pull mechanism.

It got the best reviews on Amazon, for what that is worth. I considered the Oxo but did not not the push-button operation, which looks like it takes up more space inside the bowl. I also have a crank style Cosco spinner that I've had for over 25 years and keep that one in Cathedral City, while I have the Mueller in L.A.

Save    
l pinkmountain

I have it, don't particularly like it, but use it regularly.

Save    
annie1992

I also have the OXO, only because I got it for $3 at Goodwill and it's big, so I can wash garden greens. We also have a smaller one with the crank, but it's just too small to be useful, I could make a small salad with the greens, but would have to wash multiple batches for 2 of us. It doesn't work any better nor is it more convenient for me than the OXO.

The OXO doesn't do a great job and as has been mentioned, I can only fill it about half full. I spin, empty the water, fluff up the leaves and spin again, then dump it out onto a towel to air dry if I'm making salad. I can dump it right into a pan if I'm cooking the leaves.

It's still better than the "put in a pillow case and swing it around outside" method and if I have a grandchild available they love pumping the thing and watching it spin.

Annie

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Shop Houzz Shop Houzz: Salad Days
By Houzz
Enjoy the simplicity of a fresh salad with these spinners, serving bowls, cruets and plates
See Products
Farm Your Yard Cool-Season Vegetables: How to Grow Lettuce
Leaf, butterhead, crisphead or romaine — lettuce is best harvested in the cool weather of spring and fall
Full Story
Life Surprising Ways to Pare Down at Home
All those household items you take for granted? You might not need them after all. These lists can help you decide
Full Story