Breakfast tacos

Lucille

I have started making breakfast tacos sometimes in the morning. I bought a can of Chef-mate Chorizo Breakfast Sausage Skillet on Amazon and divided it up into 6 ziplock bags for the freezer, flatten the bag and break the chorizo into 1x2" pieces as it gets frozen (the can is about 6 lbs and one can should be enough for maybe a year of tacos).

I warm up a cast iron skillet, put the equivalent of 2 heaping tbsp of the frozen Chorizo in a corner of the pan to warm, rub one side of 2 flour tacos with 1/4 tsp butter each and put them butter side down in the skillet, heat for 5 minutes until warmed. Put the tortillas on a plate and half the warmed chorizo skillet in each. Put 1/2 slice American cheese in each. Scramble 2 eggs in the skillet with a little more butter, put 1 egg on each tortilla. No seasoning is needed because the chorizo is highly seasoned.

Fold and eat.

SaveComment14Like2
Comments (14)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lars

I also make breakfast tacos (only with corn tortillas), but I also make breakfast burritos and breakfast tostados, as well as migas. I only use one egg instead of two, but I also use spicy bean dip that I make and usually have on hand. I use cheddar, jack, or Cotija cheese instead of American cheese, however. I like chorizo but do not buy it because my brother will not eat it, and so I used mesquite grilled turkey breast or ham.

More often for breakfast I will have spicy grits that I make with Cajun seasoning, Italian turkey sausage, red bell pepper, chile de arbol, frozen corn, eggs, and cheese, which I bake like a casserole. I make 4-6 servings at a time because it reheats well. My brother will eat turkey, but not pork or ham.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Lucille
Kathsgrdn

I don't make breakfast tacos but I do love to scramble eggs with leftover fajita mixture. It's so good.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Lucille
bragu_DSM 5

I like scrambled eggs and salsa

LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

I'd add some avocado slices or guacamole.

marilyn_c

I am going to have one for breakfast....but out of taco meat I made, and a flour tortilla that HEB made. (Love their butter tortillas).

I don't eat eggs, so no egg in mine but maybe I will grill some onions and add cilantro.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Lucille
jupidupi

Add some hot sauce and it sounds perfect! (I don't eat eggs without hot sauce.)

Save    
adellabedella_usa

I don't think I've ever cooked chorizo although it is readily available.

I usually make up breakfast tacos ahead and freeze to eat later. We use the fresh HEB or Kroger tortillas from the bakery. I cook up ground sausage, bacon , eggs, hash browns, and then we add green chiles, salsa and cheese like sharp cheddar or the Mexican blend. It's pretty tasty. I've also done the same thing with thin pancakes instead of tortillas.

Save    
Lucille

Adellabedella, the 'Chorizo Skillet' has potatoes, green peppers, etc. so I imaging it ends tasting a lot like your tacos do.

Save    
maifleur03

Question for those of you that use Chorizo. I see several different types in the stores here. The first time I purchased it was in a ring tube that when cut was mostly a slurry that you were supposed to fry. After the liquid evaporated there was not much left. We also have chorizo that looks more like ground up sausage meat and a type that is similar to pepperoni that you slice off in small rounds. Which type are your referring to in your recipes. All of the three are just labeled Chorizo.

Save    
nicole___

Been making flour taco's for ......ALL my life! I make the meat mixture ahead, then put it in the microwave to melt the cheese. I don't love chorizo...or queso fresco. I use Jimmy Dean bulk sausage, turkey sausage....that sort of thing and a 3 mix grated cheese. I often make these rolled up burrito style and freeze them. I also put rice or potatoes in them, sometimes. Breakfast for my husband....I often make 60 at a time.

Edited to say: I also use Las Palmas green chili sauce or a red jarred salsa over it all.

1 Like Save    
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

I just had tacos for my late breakfast/lunch, but they were regular refried bean tacos (heated canned beans in saucepan with salsa, NF cottage cheese for extra protein instead of sour cream, a bit of cheddar, and lots of fresh cilantro and a bit of parsley, with crispy corn taco shells). Yum!

Save    
Judy Good

Just made 12 of them. Mine are not traditional taco's by any means. Scrambled eggs with onion, cooked sausage and cheese on a flour tortilla. I also use bacon or corn beef hash.

Save    
Lars

I've never had a taco made with a flour tortilla. In Mexico, they were always made with two soft corn tortillas, but I only use one corn tortilla. I use flour tortillas to make burritos and quesadillas, but the quesadillas I've had in Mexico City were made with masa and resembled empanadas, as they were deep fried.

Save    
blfenton

Re chorizo - When I'm making jambalaya I buy the chorizo that looks like pepperoni.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Houzz Tours My Houzz: A Dutch Family's Light and White Dream House
Minimal color palette keeps life simple and clean; furnishings and accents sprinkle in character
Full Story
Life Your First-Aid, Emergency and Medical Supply Checklist
Don’t wait until you need them to stock your first-aid kit and emergency stash. Here’s what to get and where to keep it
Full Story
Most Popular Is Open-Plan Living a Fad, or Here to Stay?
Architects, designers and Houzzers around the world have their say on this trend and predict how our homes might evolve
Full Story