SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
booberry85

What's for breakfast?

booberry85
11 years ago

I'm getting tired of the same old, same old. Weekdays we work, so its usually yogurt and / or granola bars. Weekends its usually eggs over-easy,omelets, scrambled eggs, pancakes, waffles or crepes. I am a little tired of the same drill. What do you have for breakfast? Please include the unusual "non breakfast" breakfast if that's what you have too (example: yesterday I had leftover pizza!)

Comments (30)

• caliloo
    11 years ago

This morning it is Baked Apple Oatmeal. I subbed apples for the blueberries, and may try it with canned pumpking tomorrow. Great tasting and pretty healthy!

Alexa

o Baked Blueberry Oatmeal

2 cups uncooked oatmeal, quick or old fashioned
    1/2 cup toasted and chopped walnut pieces
    1/4 cup brown sugar, not packed
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
    2 cups skim milk
    1 egg
    2 T butter, melted and cooled slightly
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    1 1/2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen (don't thaw)

Butter a 1.5 qt casserole. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, mix together oats, half of the walnuts, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon. In another bowl, whisk together milk, egg, butter and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Fold in the blueberries. Pour batter into casserole and top with the remaining walnuts (I added a little extra cinnamon/sugar on top). Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes until top is golden and the oatmeal is set. Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving. Makes 6 servings. 320 calories per serving. 9 g protein. 6 g fiber.

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

This morning I had a homemade sourdough English muffin, toasted, cream cheese spread on it and a small pot of Scottish Breakfast tea from Upton's Teas.

I like Nasi Goreng for breakfast sometimes, Indonesian fried rice, recipe below. Leftover rice, a little milk and sugar added, heated and stirred until thick, called "Dutch" rice is also good for breakfast. Cheese toast and a bowl of soup is another breakfast choice, in cold weather.

Nasi Goreng from The Perfect Pantry

2 Tbsp canola oil
    10 large shrimp (21-25 size), peeled, deveined, sliced in half length-wise
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1-1/2 cups storebought cole slaw mix (or 1-1/4 cups shredded green cabbage plus 1/4 cup shredded carrot)
    1 cup shredded cooked chicken (I used rotisserie chicken from the supermarket)
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    3 cups cooked long-grain or basmati rice, cold
    2 Tbsp kecap manis
    1/2 tsp sesame oil
    1 Tbsp Sriracha (or less, to taste)

In a wok, heat the oil over high heat. Add the shrimp, garlic and cole slaw mix, and stir fry for 2 minutes. Add the chicken, and cook for an additional 2 minutes or until the shrimp are pink and curled. Push the mixture to one side, and pour in the beaten egg. Let cook 1 minute or until just set. Add the rice, and stir all together, chopping up the rice clumps and the egg with a wooden spoon. Stir in the kecap, sesame oil and Sriracha, and stir to combine all ingredients. Serve hot.

Note: I usually omit the shrimp and use leftover cooked cubed chicken or pork, but the egg is essential.

Teresa

• Related Discussions

Good Morning! What's for breakfast?

Q

Comments (10)
    I baked a Krusteze coffee cake from a box Thanksgiving eve. Not bad and easy as could be. Surprisingly, everyone had some for Christmas morning, and DD baked some cheese and sausage pinwheels too. We finished it off today with coffee and tea. I will do that again, but I won't use all the sugar topping as it was just a little too much. I miss that Aunt Jemimah streusel topped coffee cake mix that came with its own pan.
    ...See More

What's For Breakfast on Monday!

Q

Comments (9)
    I had a chocolate donut and a glass of ice cold milk this morning. Yum! I loved your plate pizza story from last week! That sounded delicious!
    ...See More

What's For Breakfast?

Q

Comments (15)
    I don't use a recipe for biscuits. I looked over the biscuit thread when it was made, tried a few times and suddenly, my biscuits were good and I didn't need a recipe. Kind of like the time one actually rides a bicycle to the end of the block, suddenly I had a skill I didn't have before.
    ...See More

What's for breakfast today?

Q

Comments (61)
    Artemis, I make overnight steel cut oats about 3 time's a week thru the cold weather for the boys. Simple... 1 cup steel cut oats 4 cups water Add them to the slow cooker/crock pot, stir, cover, cook on low overnight. If you want to add cinnamon wait until right before serving or the cinnamon tends to stick around the edge of the crock and burn. You could add finely diced apples, dried fruit, or nuts night before. I usually just make it plain as that the boys preference.
    ...See More
  • annie1992
    11 years ago

this morning it was eggs and home fries, but I've been on a food kick of making toast and topping it with mashed avocado and a slice of homegrown tomato. Since I got avocado at Horrock's last week for 45 cents each, I got eight, so I've been having it every day. A shake of salt and pepper and I'm good to go!

Annie

• ruthanna_gw
    11 years ago

Today was my favorite breakfast - a "frizzled" ham sandwich on a small potato roll, a slice of farmer's cheese, two pickles and a glass of tomato juice.

Yesterday, I had a poached egg on leftover spinach with some salsa on top and a piece of wheat toast. DH has become an expert an using one of those two-egg microwave egg poachers so that's the #1 style of breakfast eggs for us.

Another one is what we call the B&B breakfast. That's a banana sliced and mixed with a sectioned orange and its juice and a rye bagel with a smear of reduced fat cream cheese. I take a slice from the center of the bagel and cut it in cubes to toast for croutons because the ones we get are very thick.

We try to eat a filling breakfast to last us until lunch time. Often, it's a cup of soup and a roll.

When our kids were home, they used to like parfaits of yogurt, fruit and Wheat Chex served in clear plastic cups.

• lpinkmountain
    11 years ago

I sometimes make huevos rancheros. That's an egg poached in picante tomato sauce (I make it by mixing salsa with enough tomato sauce and water to make it the right consistency, then add a healthy dash of adobo seasoning). Serve over cornbread or tortillas, or with a corn muffin, topped with melted cheddar cheese, and a side of refried beans. This is one of my Sunday morning specials.

• lindac
    11 years ago

I am currently in a rut...English muffin with home made grape jelly.....may break out and make me some French toast....

• triciae
    11 years ago

We had an early breakfast because DH was off on a fishing trip so it was just toasted homemade WWW potato bread topped with a slice of organic apple, homegrown heirloom tomato, and brie placed under the broiler to melt/brown the cheese. DH grabbed a couple oatmeal, walnut, and chocolate chip cookies to gobble as he readied the boat.

We also like leftovers, especially soups, for breakfast in the fall/winter.

/tricia

• John Liu
    11 years ago

All in a bowl - chunks of pan seared salmon belly (salt, pepper, few drops of gluten free soy sauce), one sliced avocado, tomato-peach-kiwi salsa. A triple espresso. The New York Times, and a fat black cat.

• John Liu
    11 years ago

During the week - the whites of five or six boiled eggs (salt, pepper, olive oil drizzle), a couple pieces of fruit (banana, apple, peach etc), a big drip coffee. Sunrise over Mount Hood and five computer monitors.

If I could get organized enough, I'd like to add oatmeal or congee or cereal to that, because as it is I'm ready for lunch by 10 am. There's just not enough tummy-filling power to egg whites and fruit.

I know this breakfast rut of mine isn't very appetizing, but it may make you feel better about your rut . . .

• wizardnm
    11 years ago

Just finished breakfast and this turned out so pretty and was so good I took a picture. This would be easy to cut in half and bake in an 8 or 9 inch square pan.

Overnight Blueberry French Toast

Ingredients
    12 slices day-old bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
    2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes
    1 cup fresh blueberries
    12 eggs, beaten
    2 cups milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/3 cup maple syrup
    1 cup white sugar
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    1 cup water
    1 cup fresh blueberries
    1 tablespoon butter
    Directions
    Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange half the bread cubes in the dish, and top with cream cheese cubes. Sprinkle 1 cup blueberries over the cream cheese, and top with remaining bread cubes.
    In a large bowl, mix the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and syrup. Pour over the bread cubes. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.
    Remove the bread cube mixture from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before baking. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    Cover, and bake 30 minutes. Uncover, and continue baking 25 to 30 minutes, until center is firm and surface is lightly browned.
    In a medium saucepan, mix the sugar, cornstarch, and water. Bring to a boil. Stirring constantly, cook 3 to 4 minutes. Mix in the remaining 1 cup blueberries. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, until the blueberries burst. Stir in the butter, and pour over the baked French toast

Nancy

• sheshebop
    11 years ago

I had Light n Fit vanilla yogurt with 1 Tbs. dried cherries, 1 Tbs. chopped almonds, and 1/4 cup fresh blueberries. Only 4 Weight Watcher points.
    Teresa, I LOVE Nasi Goreng. I love it best with sweet soy sauce. There is a really great Malaysian and Indonesian restaurant nearby (well, within 45 minutes) and I love to go there.
    Nancy, that looks fabulous. I gained 3 lb just looking at it!

• centralcacyclist
    11 years ago

Coffee.

Low fat milk on puffed kamut with a bit of raw sugar.

An avocado with homemade salsa and a crisped tortilla.

Sliced turkey breast with toast.

Egg salad with low fat mayo, dijon mustard, pepper, dill, and Kalamata olives.

A green salad with some chicken cubes or leftover salmon.

Scrambled eggs with salsa.

Instant couscous made with chicken broth and some herbs and veggies.

Oatmeal.

An avocado smooshed on toast with my own salt-free seasoning mix.

A frozen smoothie made from frozen sugar free fruit, some vitamin water and a scoop of protein powder.

Nancy's breakfast has me in a swoon. O. M. Gee!

Eileen

• booberry85
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the ideas! Today I made sunny side up eggs over a ham hash. I little different but not far from the norm. It was good!

That blueberry French Toast does look fantastic!

• annie1992
    11 years ago

this morning we had steel cut oats. I just had to try the Cook's Illustrated version of "quick" steel cut oats. Boil 3 cups of water, stir in 1/4 tsp salt and 1 cup of steel cut oats. Turn off the heat, cover and let it sit overnight. The next morning add one cup of water and bring to a boil, simmer 4-6 minutes, then put the lid back on and let it sit 5 minutes.

I was amazed, but it works very well and is much faster than stirring those oats for 20 minutes or so.

Annie

• Lars
    11 years ago

This week-end I made pancakes because I have a new Bobby Flay griddle/grill, and so I can cook four pancakes on the griddle side at the same time. The design is not very good, and it likes to wobble on the grates; if I had known about this, I probably would not have bought it. I've only had it a couple of weeks. I add a couple of teaspoons of Vodka to my pancake, waffle, and French Toast recipes, and it makes them much fluffier and lighter for some reason. I also cooked some turkey breakfast sausage on the grill on Saturday, but today I cooked turkey bacon. Normally I make omelets at least once each week-end, and I vary how I fill them. If I make a plain French omelet, I generally cook sausage and hash browns to have with it (along with toast).

My favorite pancake recipe is German Apple pancakes, made in a cast iron skillet and served with creme fraiche and strawberries. If have been dip and leftover Spanish rice, I often make migas for breakfast or else breakfast tacos or burritos. Sometimes I just make latkes, but I haven't tried those on my new griddle yet.

I have some steel cut oats, but I cook them the long way for 20 minutes or so because I'm not organized enough to soak them the night before. I make grits much more often and use a variation of Paula Deen's recipe that includes garlic, egg, and cheese. If I have any sausage, I add that to it also, and I add Cajun seasoning, plus a bit of sage or fennel if I am adding sausage - fennel for Italian sausage and sage for regular sausage.

During the week I have granola with Greek yogurt and blueberries - something of a rut, but it's easy to eat at work. On occasion, I've made apple fritters or beignets for breakfast, but I consider those to be a bit decadent.

Lars

• murphy_zone7
    11 years ago

I do a variation of the overnight refrigerator Oatmeal. Fat Free Yogurt, regular oats, and whatever fruit I have on hand or apple butter or some kind of jam/jelly. Sometimes just brown sugar and honey. And I usually forget to mix it up the night before and just mix and eat immediately. Raw oats are pretty tasty, believe it or not, and filling!
    Here is the link to the refrigerator oatmeal.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

But, Murphy, when you eat raw oats do you ever feel the need to give a little "neiiigh" now and then? I do.

• arabellamiller
    11 years ago

Breakfast time around here is mayhem, both during the week and on weekends, so I stock the freezer with home made frozen food. Right now there are whole wheat chocolate chip pancakes with chia seeds, buttermilk waffles made with chia seeds and whey protein powder which the kids eat toasted with peanut butter.

For me, there are individual cooked steel cut oats which I microwave and add maple syrup and raisins. The kids also will microwave scrambled egg with shredded cheese. I don't like them that way, but the kids don't seem to mind.

• cookie8
    11 years ago

I make a batch of quinoa (so I can save over the next couple days) with chopped dates and walnuts, will make pumpkin pancakes (gluten free) which you can also freeze and toast at later dates, I do salads in the mornings too when I know I haven't been eating enough veggies over the past couple of days, hard boiled eggs, sweet potato, and for my unusual breakfast that would be a tablespoon of chia seeds with a tablespoon of coconut oil mixed together and swallowed.

• bons
    11 years ago

Oat Bran with ground flax seed and fruit or plain Greek Yogurt with ground flax and fruit or scrambled eggs with cheese and/or a gluten free muffin.

Sometimes on the weekend I make gluten free crepes or pancakes.

Bonnie

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

Moonwolf's Express Fruit Cobbler. Same for lunch.

• dedtired
    11 years ago

same thing every day -- two cups of black coffee and a bowl of Quaker Oatmeal Squares. I am a zombie in the morning and I need to have a routine or I may walk into a wall. I have been thinking about adding protein to my breakfast as I am told that it gives you energy, which I could use.

I can't stomach eggs in the morning. Never could.

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

Pam, here are some suggestions for protein in the morning:

half cup of cottage cheese, top with a few berries and chopped walnuts or toasted almonds

a thin slice of deli ham or turkey with a thin slice of cheese laid on top, roll up and slice into bite-sized pieces (I use the good low fat Boar's Head meats and cheeses.)

peanut butter on a whole wheat English muffin, top with slices of banana

crisp turkey bacon, sliced tomato on whole wheat toast - add some sliced avocado if you like it

a grilled cheese sandwich

egg salad or tuna salad on whole wheat toast

2 deviled egg halves in half a wheat pita

• caliloo
    11 years ago

Pam - I need protein in the morning or I am useless by 11 AM. I have Greek yogurt and granola first thing in the morning (around 5) and then a Balance bar around 9 to get through the mid morning hungries. I particularly like the Caramel Nut Blast and it goes well with coffee :-)

Not sure it is the best solution. but it works for me!

Alexa

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

BLT's are a favorite of ours.

• shambo
    11 years ago

I make oatmeal scones, whole wheat blueberry muffins, bagels, and bran muffins to freeze for breakfasts. My husband gets up at least two hours earlier than I do, so he can warm them in the microwave while I'm still snoring away. I also make homemade breakfast sausage, usually three pounds at a time. Then I fry it up, and package it in 1/2 cup measures. He likes the bagels with cream cheese & sausage.

I think my favorite non-traditional breakfast items are leftover spanakopita, fried squash patties, corn fritters, fried eggplant slices, and Roselin's squash casserole.

• murphy_zone7
    11 years ago

Teresa....lol yes sometimes I do....but I live with a little dog who doesn't mind what kind of sounds I make....

• booberry85
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm still looking at this thread everyday. Love the ideas! Keep them coming!

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Boo, it's kind of unusual, I suppose, but in my famly fried green tomatoes are breakfast food. We had whole wheat waffles with toasted slivered almonds, some fried green tomatoes, and eggs. My waffle got maple syrup, Elery eats his plain.

Breakfast the next day was a sandwich of homemade rye bread, toasted and spread with mashed avocado and slices of leftover fried tomatoes. Mmmmm. Elery added peameal bacon to his.

Annie

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I don't eat typical breakfasts except on weekends and then I usually have bacon and grapefruit. If I have homemade bread or make pancakes, I'll have some of that too.
    I love grapefruit, but this evidently isn't the season. They aren't very good right now- when I can find them- and I keep buying Ruby Reds that open up pale yellow.

During the week, I typically have coffee and a crispy, praliny oatmeal cookie. Or just coffee.
    Always orange juice.