SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gadgets_gw

What's for breakfast today?

gadgets
5 years ago

I fried a piece of ham, put on a piece of whole wheat bread and topped it with salad from a bag. Cup of coffee came later.

Want to share yours?

Comments (61)

• schoolhouse_gw
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

A bowl of Lucky Charms.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    5 years ago

3 saltines to take my meds and my iced coffee. Off to the doctor now.

• Related Discussions

Today's Breakfast

Q

Comments (22)
    Cooperbailey, Ken made us a similar breakfast yesterday - not an omelet but a 'scramble' - leftover diced roasted potatoes which had been roasted with some Dijon mustard coating them mixed in with diced ham, cheese, onions and eggs - boy was it good! (No vanilla, thank goodness, LOL) Mustangs you've got me sooooo ready for grits! I look forward to our month in Florida every year and that's the only time I eat grits with every breakfast (well, breakfasts "out", that is). I just don't bother with them here in New Jersey but I just love em!
    ...See More

Breakfast with Vannie today

Q

Comments (1)
    How nice! What, no pictures? Guess cause two were so busy
    ...See More

Sunday Morning Breakfast!

Q

Comments (33)
    Sunday morning is when the 3 of us sit down to have breakfast together. We rotate every week between French toast, waffles, pancakes (different ones - blueberry, cottage cheese, buckwheat), crepes, eggs with homemade muffins, cinnamon buns, raisin bread. All served with sausage or bacon or ham and fruit. Son has local Martinelli's apple juice and DH and I have coffee. After having such a big breakfast, I just have a yogurt for lunch. I am glad we only do this once a week, I couldn't eat like that every day.
    ...See More

What is For Breakfast Today?

Q

Comments (21)
    Savory grits cooked in vegetable broth with celery, red bell pepper, sautéed onion, herbs (oregano, basil, thyme, sage), and a chocolate Habanero chili. After the grits were cooked for six minutes, I added cheddar cheese, a smoked Italian sausage, and two eggs. I baked this mixture for 35 minutes covered plus 10 minutes uncovered at 355°. Makes four servings. I make this fairly often, as it reheats well.
    ...See More
  • joann_fl
    5 years ago

I made some coconut cream pie overnight oats, it was soooo good!

• marilyn_c
    5 years ago

A piece of left over rotisserie chicken breast and a Coca Cola.

• phyllis__mn
    5 years ago

DD and I went out for breakfast and had the best omelettes.......we had planned on going there just for these, and then read the postings about them here on KT this morning! We both needed takeout containers; I'm surprised at how well they reheat

• sephia_wa
    5 years ago

A smoothie made with unsweetened coconut almond milk, a bit of vanilla protein powder, half an avocado, half a banana, spinach, strawberries, and some frozen mixed berries - raspberries and blackberries.

• jtc
    5 years ago

For brunch I made an omelette I was craving after the other posts.

• gadgets
    Original Author
    5 years ago

joann: Care to share how you make coconut cream pie overnight oats?

• wildchild2x2
    5 years ago

Leftover pork chop, Toasted frozen waffle with lemon curd and a diet Dr. Pepper.

• Mary506
    5 years ago

Don't eat breakfast or lunch. Just dinner for me. I do have a cup of coffee in the morning

• glenda_al
    5 years ago

Went to a Chinese buffet for lunch. Hoping they would have egg foo young, but they had scrambled eggs (which resembled more an omelet) with bean sprouts, onions, etc. Very yummy, plus love their hot and sour soup.

• lisa_fla
    5 years ago

There are some interesting combos here. We’ve been having a lot of smoothies lately with almond milk kale, and various fresh and frozen fruits, and a generous heap of oatmeal. Today I wanted something different-a new recipe I tried recently and really liked. I sautéed 1/4 cup chopped onion in 1 tbs olive oil. Then I added 1/2 cup oatmeal and cooked for one minute. Add I cup of water. I also added a whole bunch of fresh spinach and cooked it for 8 minutes. I topped it with a poached egg and some Parmesan cheese. So good!

• Kathsgrdn
    5 years ago

Burgoo, from the freezer meals I made for work. Not much in the house right now.

• nicole___
    5 years ago

A BIG mug of Inka, w/ carmel creamer & Stevia. Oatmeal w/ salt, pepper & butter.

• yeonassky
    5 years ago

Banana and peanut butter. And nothing else until four hours later. That's my usual breakfast it helps to keep the cramps to a minimum. I usually have an egg with it as well but didn't feel like it this morning.

I really wish I could remember to drink a glass of water before I eat but I always forget. I might have to set an alarm clock like I do for rabbit rabbit.

• Lars
    5 years ago

I have a protein shake almost every morning for breakfast - I cannot skip breakfast as I have medications that I have to take with food every morning. On week-ends (or days off) I often make the protein shake into a smoothie with a frozen banana, cocoa powder, ice, yogurt, and some chocolate or vanilla protein powder, and then it makes two meals - one for me and one for my brother. I use my Vitamix blender to make these, and it will blend the ice completely so that there are no chunks. Sometimes I will make a one-egg omelet with a mushroom, sliced ham, and some grated cheese, which I will have with one piece of toast (maximum for my diet). If I make the omelet for my brother and me, it gets more elaborate, or I may make quiche or frittata. I generally count the grams of protein I eat for breakfast to make sure I get enough. Another breakfast favorite is grits cooked with celery, bell pepper, chili sauce, chicken broth, herbs, and garlic and then baked with egg, sausage, frozen corn, and cheese. This usually makes at least four meals and reheats well. I sometimes add some unflavored protein powder to it, to offset the amount of carbohydrate in the grits. I used to eat steel cut oats cooked with apple, dates, cinnamon, and sugar, but that is too high in carbs for me now. I still make pancakes and waffles occasionally but have to hold off on the maple syrup.

• Michael
    5 years ago

Nicole. Oatmeal with salt, pepper and butter? I enjoy a bowl of grits prepared that way. I'm going to try your oatmeal this morning.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    5 years ago

Hard boiled eggs and a slice of my first attempt at whole wheat artisan bread, toasted.

• aok27502
    5 years ago

My stomach is growling. I think it will be oatmeal with brown sugar, cinnamon, craisins, sliced almonds and flax seed. My usual.

• schoolhouse_gw
    5 years ago

Poached eggs and toast.

• eld6161
    5 years ago

French toast.

• User
    5 years ago

I have the same thing every day .... coffee and a low carb tortilla shell with butter and chunky peanut butter . It keeps me full for over 5 hours . My favorite breakfast is leftover pizza with coffee. I'm weird.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

Too early for me to worry about breakfast. I usually don't eat anything until I've been up and about for a few hours. I finish a pot of French press coffee first, then bathe, dress and do a few chores....somewhere around 10am I feel hungry (4-5 hours after getting up) so that's when breakfast finally appeals.

French toast sounds really good - thanks for the suggestion!! And maybe some bacon :-)

• Yayagal
    5 years ago

Two cups of coffee and two Belvita blueberry crackers, I get my morning dose of protein and vitamins in a cracker form and few calories.

• DawnInCal
    5 years ago

We went out for dinner Thursday night and I have a leftover pork carnitas taco in the fridge. The tortilla is soggy now, but I think I will use the filling to make an omelette and eat it with a small fruit salad of fresh cantaloupe, strawberries, apple and pineapple.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    5 years ago

So many yummy ideas -- I am especially a fan of getting veggies in first thing, something I am working on increasing. I am going to try Lisa_fla's concoction tomorrow.

Today I had a cooked hot sweet potato with a fried egg on top.

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

Today, a splurge.

Ribeye steak and egg. Seasoned the steak with pepper, garlic powder and a little salt. ONE egg only (from one of my hens), fried over easy.

Usually, I don't splurge like that. Although often, there are eggs.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    5 years ago

I had my usual Nutribullet sludgie with baby kale, spinach, frozen peaches, blueberries, mango, and pineapple, and a twist of fresh lemon. I added some ground flax and protein powder, used water for the liquid.

• glenda_al
    5 years ago

egg in the nest on rye with two sausage patties: brunch

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Nothing, but I'm being harassed to start eating a decent breakfast. I could tolerate some oatmeal or maybe a protein shake(will carnation breakfast drink be ok?) Food is not on my **want** list right now but I guess I must force myself. So what do you all think of the Carnation or oatmeal and yogurt? I can not even force eggs. Thank you.

5 years ago

Hey, MamaPInky, Carnation is fine -- I think they have recently increased the protein in the mix too so even better. I always liked it because it didn't have that "vitamin" taste that I taste in drinks like Ensure.

Oatmeal, yogurt are great also. Anything (except a soda pop!) is better than nothing. Even ice cream! My mom really liked a high protein, sweetened milk called Rockin' Refuel -- made by Shamrock Farms. I got it at the grocery for her; she would always enjoy it even when she was "off" other foods. You could check their website to see if it is sold in your area, to try it.

• jtc
    5 years ago

Eating a decent breakfast does not mean you are restricted to what is considered breakfast food. Eat whatever type of food you enjoy.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    5 years ago

Yesterday during the snow storm I decided to make something I hadn't made in at least 10 years....A Pannekoeken. Oh so good!!! I guarantee that it won't be another 10 years before I make one again. It probably won't be even 10 weeks.

• joann_fl
    5 years ago

Coconut cream pie overnight oats

(This is for just one serving)

1/2 cup quick oats

pinch of salt

1 TB maple syrup (real)

1/2 tsp vanilla

1/8 cup coconut flakes

1/4 tsp coconut extract

1/8 tsp cinnamon

1/4 cup plain or vanilla greek yogurt

1 tsp sliced or chopped almonds

you can adjust the flavoring amounts for suit your tastes.

Mix all together in a jar or covered bowl

add 1/2 cup Almond milk or your favorite milk

Refrigerate

It will be ready in the morning

Another one of my favorites is:

Chocolate almond coconut overnight oats

1/2 cup quick oats

1 TB coconut

1 tsp cocoa powder

1 tsp sliced almonds

1/2 cup almond milk (or any)

brown sugar per taste

put all in a bowl, stir in a jar or small container add milk cover. Put in refrig. overnight.

I usually make about 4-5 jars at a time and pull out when I want one and just add the milk.

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Raee, Thank you. I had my husband pick up yogurt, Carnation, and some Belvita breakfast bisquits(golden wheat). I'm all set to at least nibble in the morning. LOL. I need to get protein in...too bad I am not fond of eggs. I do enjoy an occasional omelet so maybe I could do that around lunch as I'd never be able to eat eggs in the morning.

I'm exploring recipes for protein shakes also.

Thank you.

• Ava
    5 years ago

Mamapinky0, there are many foods that you can consider for protein besides meat such as chicken, Turkey breast, tuna.......almonds, pistachio nuts, peanut (butter) cottage cheese, lentils, brocolli, Greek yogurt to name a few.

Do you enjoy toast with peanut butter or maybe cottage cheese with some fruit or oatmeal?

• wildchild2x2
    5 years ago

Grab and run breakfast today. A banana and a pack of Nature Valley almond butter granola cups.

• Amazing Aunt Audrey
    5 years ago

Two oatmeal raisin cookies and a cup of Earl Grey tea.

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

Today: two soft boiled eggs laid yesterday from my backyard ladies. A mug of black coffee.

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

Joann, do you heat up your oatmeal dishes in the morning or just eat them from the fridge?

Has anyone ever done overnight slow cooker oats?

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Artemis, I make overnight steel cut oats about 3 time's a week thru the cold weather for the boys. Simple...

1 cup steel cut oats

4 cups water

Add them to the slow cooker/crock pot, stir, cover, cook on low overnight.

If you want to add cinnamon wait until right before serving or the cinnamon tends to stick around the edge of the crock and burn.

You could add finely diced apples, dried fruit, or nuts night before.

I usually just make it plain as that the boys preference.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    5 years ago

Today it's hot boudin and fried eggs with French bread toast!

In honor of Fat Tuesday!

• marilyn_c
    5 years ago

I'm going to have a piece of cheese toast.

• pudgeder
    5 years ago

Granola & Yogurt. Pretty much what I have Monday - Friday.

• User
    5 years ago

Today is Shrove Tuesday -- pancakes for breakfast!!!!

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

thanks, mamapinky. I'd probably add the apples (or other fresh fruit), and some cinnamon when ready. Sounds good.

5 years ago

Leftover veggie pizza. And ibuprofen LOL!

• joann_fl
    5 years ago

I eat the overnight oats cold. I think they are better that way. I do enjoy hot oats also

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

Two hardboiled eggs, one quick mug of coffee.

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

This morning, I'm starting up with the determination that there will be veggies at every breakfast. (Excluding high starchy things like potatoes.)

This morning, an omelet with bok choy, mushrooms, a couple slices of de-seeded jalapeno, Monterey Jack cheese, turmeric, ground pepper, and a smidge of minced garlic.