If you could replace any appliance in your house,

Lukki Irish

regardless of age, what would it be? And do you know what would you replace it with? For me, it would definitely be my stove. It’s a Samsung and not that old but I’ve hated it since day one. I’m serously thinking about selling it and getting a new one. .

SaveComment49Like1
Comments (49)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cooper8828

I would replace my hot water heater with a tankless one.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Lukki Irish
seagrass_gw Cape Cod

Our dishwasher is kaput - we are waiting for a new one (Kitchen Aid) and our stacked washer/dryer in on it's last legs - we have ordered a new LG unit to fit in the space. So these decisions were forced on us,. I hope the washer/dryer shows up first. I can't imagine doing laundry in a laundromat....

1 Like Save     Thanked by Lukki Irish
roy4me

Dishwasher.

Save     Thanked by Lukki Irish
sal 60 Hanzlik

washer and dryer--going on 23 years old but still works fine. I know if I got a new one it would never last that long so just keeping it until it dies if it ever does.

functionthenlook

Washer. I want to go back to one with an agitator.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Lukki Irish
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

4) water heater because it is also around 20 year old (so probably a necessity). Wondering about a tankless, if it is truly worth the extra cost for one - two people.

3) washing machine - ~20 years or more old - just to get a front loader with larger capacity, but only if the new one would be as durable or at least last until I sell this house

2) dishwasher because I do not like the rack configuration - small things like a juice glass can fall through the top rack!

1) maybe a new countertop convection oven/toaster/air fryer. My current one is fine but doesn't have the air fryer feature.

Rose Pekelnicky

I'm pretty happy with the appliances I have right now. I had a stove once that I hated so after a few years we replaced it with one I like. I just recently had to replace my 22 yr old Maytag Neptune washer. Got another Maytag front loader and so far I am happy with it.

aok27502

Our fridge. It's only a year old and works fine, but I don't like the way the inside is configured.

morz8

aok, I liked the configuration of the Amana bottom mount that was in the house when we bought it better than the Kitchen Aid french door I replaced it with when the compressor went out. The newer KA are OK, but I don't think it holds quite as much even though supposed to be the same cubic feet.

I'd replace my glass top Jenn Air downdraft combination convection stove for a gas range with real hooded vent. I don't particularly enjoy cooking on it even though it was an expensive stove (didn't buy it, in the house). This house has natural gas heat that has never been run to the kitchen. I don't know why.

My dishwasher is probably on borrowed time at its age but still cleaning and drying well. KA. I've looked a little, trying to be prepared, and find I like the style of the third rack better with Bosch than the current KA. And, whatever I buy will have to have a finger cubby like now not real handle or it will block a much used 90 deg angle utensil drawer from opening ;0)

Annie Deighnaugh

Our upright freezer. It's over 40 years old but it keeps on running. But it's a pain as it's not frost free and I suspect a new one would be more energy efficient. But the last thing I want to do is replace it with one that isn't as reliable.

nickel_kg

I don't want to replace anything right now, but the gas stove will probably be first to go. It works fine, but it's white and the area in the burner wells is wearing thin. Six years old now.

bpath

Cooktop, from smooth glass to induction.

jkayd_il5

Air conditioner. It's 28 years old and has been giving us some trouble.

wildchild2x2

Since the Covid appliance shortage I am waiting for a specific a make and model of fridge. Meanwhile we bought a nice basic fridge but it's a bit small for our needs. It will be put in the pantry/utility room as a backup fridge. We need a new dishwasher but I am not as picky about that.

morz8

Annie, I would never buy a frost free freezer only unit. Food doesn't keep the same quality for as long in one. Old school here, but I don't mind defrosting occasionally. My upright was in a coolish basement in my former house. I defrosted once a year. In this house, the freezer is in my mud room. Not only is it a warmer room, but I'm opening the door much more often, using it more efficiently since I no longer have to go downstairs to get something. I have to defrost about every 6 months. I put the food into every cooler I own, put a little space heater with fan in front of the unplugged opened door freezer and can have it frost free, dry, wiped clean in about 45 minutes total to having the food back inside and door closed, running again.

1 Like Save    
Lukki Irish

New a/c is a good one, I hadn’t thought about that. I’m in the process of replacing our water softener right now because it’s not working wall. Our a/c is at least 15 years old and is going strong, but age wise, I suspect it will be next to go.

For those of you that have a stove on your list I hope you plan to stay clear of the Samsung! It’s pretty but the stainless steel scratches if you look cross eyed at it and the oven has never work properly.

Save    
maifleur03

I would like a dual fuel range. I like gas because it is easier to regulate but also like an electric oven. But the next oven I purchase had better be able to be set at 200 and below. I want to be able to dehydrate things in it.

rob333 (zone 7a)

Every appliance in my house is under 10 years old, so nothing.

Unless they make smoke detectors without lights all over them. Too many appliances have too many lights keeping me awake at night. Can't I just push a button and know they're working, do I really need the light???

nicole___

My gas cook top. The enamel is chipped. Really hard to clean. Then under it is storage I don't need. I'd like a cast iron, gas, cook top with an oven under it. With feet. Dual fuel.

Jasdip

Last summer I treated myself to a bottom mount frig. Even though I rent and my frig and stove are in great shape, I wanted the convenience of the frig at eye level. I must say though, I put a lot more stuff in the old freezer. Being able to stack everything and having the shelves on the door made for a lot of storage.

Lukki Irish

I almost got the dual fuel but I’ve never been a fan of cooking with anything but gas. After the regulating problems I’ve had with this stove though. I’m rethinking that. I was told that the reason my oven doesn’t cook well is because: “The temps fluctuate (15 up and then 15 below from what you need) to make them more energy efficient”. It’s not a flaw it’s the design Samsung came up with and it does not work.

Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

ETA: you said replace, but what about add to?

I saw a lawn robot this week, and now I wish I had one. I know! It could "replace" me

2 Likes Save    
ci_lantro

Heat & air units.

raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

Rob333, I stick a piece of electrical tape over those annoying lights - the surge protector next to my bed has one; I just peel it back a little every once in a while to make sure it is still good.

Morz8, I had the same experience when I replaced my old Kenmore aka Whirlpool top freezer frig with a new Kenmore aka LG bottom freezer. Same nominal cubic size but definitely less roomy. I think that the pullout mechanisms for the freezer takes up a fair bit of room as does that bulge with the electronic temp display etc at the top of the fridge.

Lars

I love our Samsung dual fuel range. Oven temperature can be set to 135°F for dehydrating.

What I would replace is the solar panels because we do not own them and were forced to take over the rental agreement from the previous owner. The agreement states that the rent for the panels will increase by 3% each year, which is then compounded. Therefore, our energy bills keep going up rather than down. If we owned the panels, the cost would be going down.

Jasdip

Rob my internet modem has bright white lights instead of soft blue ones. I taped a strip of cardboard over them. My modem is in my bedroom and it was keeping me awake. Stupidity.

bpath

Rob, this is me in my kitchen at night. It’s like an animated Disney movie.

maifleur03

That up and down has been there from at least the 1960s if not before. Each oven is different as to the swing and one installer said there was less of a swing if the oven is well insulated and surrounded by cabinets.

Fun2BHere

I had to replace my refrigerator last year and chose a French door model to replace the hated side-by-side. It turns out that the bottom freezer holds less than the side-by-side even though they are the same cubic feet.

I would also like to replace my dryer with one that changes direction during the cycle so my sheets wouldn't get balled up leaving the inside wet and the outside overdried.

marilyn_c

I have a perfectly good, plain Jane gas stove, and it is adequate, but when I build, I will buy a vintage stove. You couldn't give me a glass top, altho I know many people love them.

But the one thing I really don't like is my washer. It works okay, but I hate all the bells and whistles and little lights. I much preferred my old washers.... something very basic.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Lukki Irish
functionthenlook

Fun2BHere, there is an easy fix for balled up sheets in the dryer. Throw in 3 tennis balls with the sheets when drying.

Debby

My stove and fridge are both over 20 years old and I'm sure on their way out soon. Both are Kenmore's and Canada no longer has Sears so I don't know what I would replace them with as I'm an avid Kenmore fan. I know they would have to be white, I don't get the stainless appliance craze at all.....

Lukki Irish

Lars, I’m glad you like your Samsung, ours is a slide in but not dual fuel. I’m wondering how old yours is, maybe they’ve fixed the issue or you bought yours before they changed the way the ovens bake now. I love love love our Samsung french door fridge and had high hopes for the stove. :c(

Save    
Lars

Our Samsung is less than a year old, (we got in July 2020)

and it did slide in. I can imagine that you would have trouble with a gas Samsung oven.

In L.A. we have a Bertazzoni gas range with gas oven, and the oven bakes fine, but the temperature is 250° to 550°, which is not ideal, but it works for most purposes. We have a portable electric dehydrator, and we cook pizza in the Big Green Egg. In Cathedral City, we have an Ooni oven for pizza, which is easier to use than the BGE, but it only bakes rather small (14" diameter) pizzas max. I usually make them a bit smaller, as they are easier to turn in the oven.

Lukki Irish

That’s a pretty stove, I see yours doesn’t have the SS under the grids which I think is a better option too. I‘m guessing you guys make a lot of pizza. Yum! Ours is 4-5 years old at most and is completely SS, pretty but impractical. It hasn’t worked right from day one but maybe they’ve found a fix for the issue...I hope so. I don’t cook as much anymore because it takes 2 hours just to bake an average sized potatoe. If you set it at 350, the heating element heats the stove up to 365, turns off, and doesn’t go back on until the temp drops to 335. It never cooks at a consistant 350. Convection and roast don’t cook right because of this as well. It’s a hot mess. I used to enjoy making bread and holiday meals, but it’s near impossible with this oven.

Save    
functionthenlook

Lars, can you take a buy out of your solar rental? We have rental propane at camp and we are taking the buyout. We will make up the cost of the new tank and buyout within two fills.

Save    
greenshoekitty

I would get rid of the dishwasher, and replace it with storage for pots and pans. The dishwasher is new .(has been used 1 or 2 times, and is a very nice one.) I just do not ever use it.

Fun2BHere

@functionthenlook, I have a set of three woolies (similar to tennis balls) in the dryer, but they don't seem to make a difference with the tangling and balling up of sheets.

functionthenlook

Fun, try the tennis balls. I never felt a woolies, but tennis balls might be heavier and they bounce. It wouldn't hurt.

Elizabeth

My Shark vacuum. It was a disappointing purchase. No extension wand and it is not adjustable for different carpet heights or bare floors. It may be bagless and swivel but it reminds me of an electric broom. If you remember them.

maifleur03

For Debby and any others that are not aware Kenmore was the store name of things that came from many manufactures and not something that Sears actually had manufactured for them. You could almost always tell who manufactured things by looking at the other models on display because you would find the same one but without the Kenmore name slapped on it.

rob333 (zone 7a)

Several layers of tape doesn't stop the piercing light. Nice thought, but it didn't work. Though, I tried it years ago. Maybe black Gorilla Tape could do it.

nickel_kg

rob333, we use painter's tape if we want to soften the light (such as the night light in my bathroom), and electrical tape if we want the light completely blocked. Crazy, isn't it!

PattiG(rose)

All of them.

kathyg_in_mi

electric stove. It was in the house when we bought it. Still works, but oven temp is “janky”. I was used to gas, but it was here. There is a gas line coming in behind stove, but I really don’t want to spend the $. I’m a cheap old lady.

jupidupi

My GE Cafe double oven range was a mistake. Our kitchen is only 5 1/2 feet wide, and I liked that the doors weren't too long when opened. But the "large" oven is too small for my favorite pots, and it's on the bottom, so heavy lifting to get things in and out. The top oven barely has room for air circulation, and the broiler's terrible. I'd replace it with a single oven range with a smaller door. I was thinking Bertazonni until I read Lars' posting. Minimum 250 degrees wouldn't work for me; I like to cook "low and slow" braises.

Lars

functionthenlook, I do not think we have the option to buy out the solar panels because the panel company makes so much more money this way. It appears that I will be paying for these for the rest of my life, or until we sell this house, but I don't think that Kevin will be ready to sell before the lease is up anyway. I'll be 80 and he'll be 65 at that time, and he does plan to retire as soon as he can get Medicare. He has enough saved up for his own retirement, and we'll also have no more mortgages by then as well.

Lukki Irish, your stove looks higher end than ours, although ours was not really cheap either, but yours has a better style. We do make pizzas about twice a week, as those are very easy to do, once you get the hang of the Ooni oven. Our Samsung oven bakes fine for me, but I mainly just bake bread it in, about once a week. We cook more on our outdoor barbecues than we do in our oven.

jupidupi, Bertazzoni also offers a dual fuel range, and the electric range has a range from 100°F to 500°F, which is not really hot enough for pizza, but it will definitely go much lower than the gas oven and also has a proofing option. The gas oven will go up to 550°F, which is still too low for Neapolitan pizza, but then we use the Ooni oven or Big Green Egg for pizzas and bake them outdoors. The BGE is better for larger pizzas and for larger parties, but it is of course wood fired as opposed to propane, and so it is a bit more difficult to control the heat temperature. It will get above 1100°F, however, and so you have to be careful not to use aluminum pans, as they will melt at that temperature.

We bought the Bertazzoni because it was available in red:

and my brother was impressed that the red parts were finished at the Ferrari factory down the street from Bertazzoni. Ferrari does all the color finishes for Bertazzoni, and so you can get one to match your car.

Lukki Irish

OMG! Lars! that stove is beautiful!!! I’m normally not a fan of red but that’s pretty!!

1 Like Save    
jally

In case of blackouts:

https://www.zenneckpower.com/

or:

https://www.saithgroup.com/gpm/

or:

https://interestingengineering.com/new-home-hydrogen-battery-stores-3x-energy-of-teslas-powerwall-2

It boggles my mind. Question is, would they operate after a solar flare?

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Rustic Style Brick Floors: Could This Durable Material Work for Your House?
You love the old-world look, but will you like the feel of it underfoot? Learn the pros and cons of interior brick flooring
Full Story
Small Spaces Could You Live in a Tiny House?
10 things to consider if you’re thinking of downsizing — way down
Full Story
Architecture House-Hunting Help: If You Could Pick Your Home Style ...
Love an open layout? Steer clear of Victorians. Hate stairs? Sidle up to a ranch. Whatever home you're looking for, this guide can help
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
At BRAX Roofing we pride ourselves on offering superior home improvement service, specializing in roofing,... Read More