SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emily_johnson4407649

Smart lighting help!

Emily Keith
3 years ago

We are renovating a Mid Century Modern Ranch style home. When we purchased it, it had multiple water leaks, termites, etc. It is almost a complete gut job. This is NOT a home for us to live in. I do not know if this will be a high-end rental or we will sell it.

We are doing a complete rewire. I am doing CCT LED Recessed lighting in most areas. What is the best way to control the dimming and color temp in each area?

Let's take the bedrooms as an example: There will be 4 recessed lights with a fan in the center. Ideally, I would love them to all work together where dimming and color-Temp change can be controlled from the main light switch. I can not seem to find this as an option? I would prefer to NOT have a remote, as if this turns into a rental house, the remotes will likely be lost, etc.

For the Toe Kick lighting in the bathroom (LED strip lights), they have an attached control that will fit under the sink. And, I can just use the main switch by the door to turn them on/off. Something like this would be perfect for other rooms and lights! Hide a temp-control/dimmer in a closet, and just use the main switch for on-off.

As a last resort, an app to control the Smart lighting is an option, but there are SO many choices that my head is spinning! I have read pluses/minuses for so many that I have no idea which to choose. Please do not tell me to consult my electrician. This house is in a very rural area. Design, technology, etc is all behind by 10-20 years.

Thank you in advance for your insight! I have been researching this on/off for weeks, and it is time for me to get some outside help.

Comments (3)