SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Colleen's Lemon Butter! Attn: LindaC

annie1992
3 years ago

I make batches of this regularly. My girls and grandkids eat it with a spoon, like pudding. I use it to top cheesecake or pavlova, as a "dip" with sugar cookies or gingersnaps, as a filling in a tart. It's even better with Meyer lemons, which I love. The "sneaky notes" are Colleen's, but I added a few of my own at the end.

Lemon Butter (Colleen)

4 oz butter (NOT margarine)

3/4 cup lemon juice (about 3 lemons' worth)

all the rind from the lemons, grated

1 cup sugar (I use superfine)

4-5 eggs, thoroughly beaten

Put butter, sugar, lemon juice and lemon rind into a micro-safe bowl. Cook on high about 3 minutes, stirring halfway through. Butter should be melted and sugar dissolved. Beat in eggs and microwave in 30-second bursts until it thickens, about 2 minutes. Whisk after each burst. Store in refrigerator to prolong the shelf life, which is short.

Makes about 3 cups, maybe less.

Sneaky notes:

If you are making a LOT of this, for gifts, etc, I peel the rind off with a peeler and drop it into the blender. Then cut off the white pith with a paring knife. Making sure there are no seeds, drop lemon flesh into blender. Whizz it up until the rind is pulverised. You should end up with about 1 cup of juice/rind mix per batch, to account for the rind and aeration. You can double or triple the recipe, just use a bigger bowl and adjust the times.

I also use the blender to whizz the eggs. If they are not totally beaten, you can get little white strings from the egg white which don't look great.

If you overcook it and it separates, beat up an extra egg. Gradually mix separated (sounds much better than curdled, doesn't it?) mixture into egg. Repeat if necessary.

Annie's Notes: I never have superfine sugar, I just use regular granulated sugar. I also leave out the lemon zest, because my family doesn't like the texture of the pieces of peel. It's all good and has plenty of lemon flavor without the zest. It does take about 6 lemons for me to get 3/4 cup, but the lemons are small and hard here in Michigan, being shipped thousands of miles across the country.

I get just about 3 cups as Colleen noted, this is a 24 ounce jar and it's full. I did use 5 eggs, and they are my big farm eggs, so maybe that makes a little more.

This is what I know as lemon curd, but a lot faster than stirring on the stove top. I've also made it with limes and it was just as good. One of these days I'm going to try it with oranges....

Annie

Comments (8)