SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

A visit from forum friends, plus ethnic foods (kind of)

annie1992
6 years ago

I had company this weekend, and it was such fun! Peppi came from Chicago with her Dad and Sherry (sheshebop) visited from Indiana. They both arrived on Friday, and in honor of Peppi's Dad and their German heritage I made sauerbraten. At least it was the Michigan girl's version, LOL. I didn't have the final item I needed to finish off the "gravy", so Peppi brought it along:

Yeah, I'd never heard of Apfelkraut either, but it's kind of like a very dark and very thick apple butter, Peppi says it's fermented. She also brought some potato dumplings to go with dinner and a jar of spiced red cabbage. I made homemade dark rye bread and a "German" apple cake. I doubt that it was anything close to German, but that was what the recipe said, and it was frosted with cream cheese frosting. Yeah....German. Ahem.

We were up until far past midnight, gossiping and solving all the ills of the world. Peppi's dog, Emma, was loving my stubby tailed cat, Sparky, they both weigh about 15 pounds and they played together very well while the big dogs tried to ignore them.

Saturday morning we had homemade corned beef hash, eggs, toast from the rye bread, and pumpkin muffins. Unfortunately the only thing I remembered to take a picture of was the muffins!

Unfortunately Peppi's Dad was in a hurry to go home, so they left after breakfast. I offered to take Sherry anywhere she wanted to go, but she expressed a preference for just sitting around the living room and catching up, so we talked the afternoon away, munching on a tray of cheese, olives, crackers and sopressata in lieu of lunch.

the small appetizer plates on the right were a gift from another Cooking Forum member, Doucanoe/Linda. She made them herself and I miss her, you betcha...

For supper I hauled out the Atlas and made fresh pasta:

Half were this size and the other half were long strips for a batch of lasagna later.

I made a sauce with the last of the garden eggplant, ricotta cheese, the end of the garden tomatoes, and some cream. We also had the last of the golden beets from the garden, a Caesar salad and some of the blue Hokkaido squash, along with a Pane Bianco that sounded good with the pasta. (Yes, LindaC, I removed the ricotta carton from the table, LOL)

To be continued, because I'm out of room for pictures.....

Comments (19)