SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
foodonastump

Holiday Cooking Report?

foodonastump
12 years ago

It looks things worked out well for those posting on the Prime Rib thread. Really well. (I mean, perfectly med-rare!) How about everyone else?

Not being accustomed to "formal" entertaining, I was happy with the results of the dinner I served. First course was lobster cakes, served with an aioli sauce LindaC suggested.

Second course, wilted spinach salad with bacon and roasted marrow bones. I was specifically looking for an excuse to use my marrow scoops, but thought I'd incorporate it with a salad in case folks were put off. As it turned out, DW wouldn't touch the marrow, MIL tried it politely, the rest of us loved it and kept scraping the bones.

The third course gave a double nod to dcarch. First of all I decided to sous vide the beef tenderloin so that I could simply slice, sear and serve without worrying about doneness. Secondly I topped it with duxelles and a port wine reduction, both of which included black garlic. The plate looks sparse, but believe me that no one was hungry once we were through.

Finally, we ended up with a selection of cookies supplied by my MIL, sister, and mother. I have no pictures of the ridiculous amount of desserts we had, but I'll use this as a lead-in to my favorite present of the year: My parents made a "cookbook" of Mom's traditional Christmas baking.

Aside from the sentiments of my own upbringing, seeing some of my ancestors' names on the pages made me think of how much food contributes to both our memories and legacies. Deep thoughts.

Enough about me. Please share your memorable holiday cooking!

Comments (12)