SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
torrpie

Finish issues with a cabinet install... What would you do?

Torrey R
3 years ago

This is the first major home project I have done, and first experience with hiring someone to do work in my home. I hired a cabinet company to design and then contract out an installer to install cabinets. The design showed the cabinets flush to the ceiling and they came out and measured and knew our ceiling was sloped.

The installer was incompetent, complained the entire time he was on site, and said he could not make it so the trim covered the gap. As he was leaving he said this should have taken him one day, but it took him three. He left in a hurry leaving sawdust everywhere, etc. The cabinet company says they can send him back out to fix it, but I worry he will make it worse and they are not responding to my concerns. Options as I see them:

A - Ask for the trim to do it ourselves (but I think the cabinets need to be moved down on the wall to fit thicker trim, so realistically we probably could not do this ourselves).

B - Let him come back to try to fix it.

C - Look for a finish carpenter, get a quote, have him do the work, and ask the cabinet company for a credit.

D - Live with it.

What would you do? Any ideas for covering this gap? And the other finish details in the link below the pics?

See upper left:

And you can see several other issues with the finish and attention to detail here.

Comments (3)