SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amberm145

Floor quality issue, what would you do?

amberm145
9 years ago

My installer started putting in my hardwood floor today. It's 4 1/4" wide maple, unfinished. It's supposed to be #2&better. I expect a little colour variation, which I'm fine with, as it's going to be stained anyway.

However, now that the installer has started, he's found that the pieces aren't square, so there are gaps at one end of the board while the other end is tight. He also said that he's finding the tongue & groove don't fit together nicely. It feels like they are swollen with moisture, but he's checked, and according to his humidity tester, they are within the proper range. So it looks more like a milling problem. He thinks I may have been given a Chinese product.

In addition to this stuff in the photos, I got a little extra that's "cottage" grade, which is supposedly better than tavern grade. Lots of knots, but not open holes. But it's got a lot of horrible pieces in it. Like, knot holes that are more than 75% the width of the board.

I bought the material from a large, reputable dealer, and it's supposed to have come from a US mill. http://wdflooring.com/overview/ Even the installer has said he's never had issues with this dealer before.

I'll be contacting the dealer in the morning. But what do I want to ask for?

We originally wanted reclaimed, rustic floors. But ironically, it was really expensive. And doubly ironic, if we had gaps like this in reclaimed floors, I'd have been fine with it. So why be bothered with gaps in floors I paid less for?

And getting new stuff means about a month delay while we wait for it to be ordered in, and acclimatized, and another hole in the installer's schedule. Plus we'll have to pay extra to the installer to rip this out and do it again with new stuff.

But on the other hand, I did not want Chinese wood floors. I am aware that some Chinese wood products come from illegal harvesting activities by Russian mafia. I consciously sought material from FSC certified suppliers. And although I compared prices, I was supposed to be comparing quality products. And I'd rather pay the installer for the 10% he's already installed, than pay him for the whole job twice. Not to mention the cost of finishing a product I'm going to have to replace anyway.

Is this what you would expect from a #2 & better? Will it look okay once it's finished? If I accept it as is, what kind of compensation would you expect from the dealer?

Comments (5)