SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlynn1187

Debating if we should put an offer on this house—need opinions!

jlynn1187
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

**Edit: heres the link to the listing: https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/840-Old-Mill-Dr_Loveland_OH_45140_M35533-31691

When we first set out to find our dream home, in my mind it was going to be move-in ready: There wouldn’t be a single thing we would need to change, from the paint colors to the backsplash to the countertops. It would be beautiful and perfect. It would have white doors, trim and crown molding, a light kitchen with white cabinets, beautiful light gray granite countertops and a white backsplash. It would have a spindle staircase. It would have neutral wall colors—grays, light blues, cream. it would have updated bathrooms, with modern designs, upgraded flooring, painted cabinets, a backsplash in the shower. The closets would be huge. It would have at least a 3 car garage. And most importantly, it would be the perfect place for entertaining: There would be a four seasons room, leading out to a large deck, with steps leading down to a patio, maybe with a pergola, or a covered porch with an outdoor fireplace or fire pit, a place for an outdoor tv and seating, and a large backyard for the kids to play in. The backyard would be private, maybe fenced. And it would have a pool—or at least be in a pool community. The house would be a mix of farmhouse chic and contemporary. The neighborhood would have sidewalks for us to walk and ride bikes. It would be a dream.

At least that’s what I thought. And we’ve seen some pretty houses. But with the market being as crazy as it is, competition is fierce. And we’ve realized we can’t be so picky. We might not find that turnkey house. But if the house has good bones, a good layout, unique features—things you can’t easily add onto a home—we could make it work. We could do a few projects and make it our own.

Today we toured a home that the old me wouldn’t have given a second glance online. It has a LOT of oak—oak trim, oak doors, oak cabinets, oak molding and base boards. And I hate oak. The decorations are not my style so I had a hard time visualizing us in the home. the kitchen is dark, and the kitchen island has black countertops. It has a wet bar in the living room (what do i do with that?). But I am being more open minded... it’s all brick. It has not just a 3 but a FOUR car garage. It doesn’t exactly have a four seasons room / sunroom but the breakfast room has skylights and large screen doors, and with the glass doors open and the screen doors shut, it feels like a sunroom. The basement feels like a sports bar (this is my husbands favorite part of the house) - it has a theater room with state of the art entertainment system and projector, a full bar and a workout room. And the backyard, while it doesn’t have a deck or covered patio or pool, has a large patio, a partially covered patio (with a hot tub underneath) and a fire pit. Plus lots of trees.

We actually really liked it. We think we can paint the oak stuff white to lighten it up, maybe replace the kitchen island countertop, change up the paint colors, get rid of the tacky wallpaper. We are undecided if we want to keep the hot tub or not.

There are a few other things we aren’t sure what to do about... I’d love to get some advice! We are trying to estimate how much each project will cost as well.

Before going through the list of specific areas we want to update, one general update: Painting all of the oak doors, doorways, trim, cabinets and baseboards white. Would you suggest we do that before moving in since there’s so much ground to cover? For a 3000 sq ft house, any rough estimates on cost?

We would love to get input and pricing estimates on the below items as well:

1. There are four columns to the right of the front entry, and our realtor thinks at least two of them are weight bearing. I’m not a huge fan of the look but what do you guys think? To me they feel like they ruin the flow of the home. And they look so dated. But what else could we do if they truly are weight bearing? If it makes a difference, we need to have a room to be the kids playroom so we were thinking it would be this one. They have lots of toys so I was initially hoping to be able to close it off behind a door. Would closing this off with a wall/door be an option and/or would it close off the space and infringe upon the flow even more?

(in the same photo you can see the staircase—since I want to get rid of the oak, any suggestions for what to do on the staircase to make it prettier?)

2. I love a light, white kitchen—white cabinets, gray granite countertops, white backsplash. would you suggest just painting these cabinets and changing out the island countertop since it’s black? (The rest of the countertops are a pretty gray granite.) I also don’t love the round end of the island, which serves as a mini table. Wonder if we could take that part off. Any other design ideas for the kitchen?

3. I don’t mind the living room much except that I’m not sure how I could modernize the fireplace area. It has that oak wood across the mantle, over the brick. Since we will be painting all the trim, including around the doors and Windows, white—should we paint the mantle wood white as well? Other ideas? I think this room will probably be painted a light gray neutral. Also, I’d love to have a big beam across the vaulted ceiling but I know that would be a budget killer.

4. I think the backyard area is nice but we aren’t sure about the hot tub. If we removed it, any ideas for how to use this space underneath? Any other ideas for improving the backyard space for entertaining?

5. There is a wet bar in the living room and I feel like that’s super dated—is this true? Do people still use these? how do they use them? Any design improvement ideas?

6. Here is the breakfast room/four seasons room. What do you think about this space? I’m a little worried about the sky lights leaking although I love all the light.

7. Lastly, here’s the laundry room—not sure what to do here. Any ideas for prettifying this space?

thank you!!!!!

—-—

ETA: Thanks , all! It’s a great location - in our kids same school district. The neighborhood is peaceful and quiet. Its an older neighborhood so lots of mature trees, homes aren’t on top of each other. The only negative about the neighborhood is there’s no sidewalks, which I’m not sure how I feel about. I’ve always had sidewalks. The neighborhood is also a pool community, and has tennis courts and a play area. All of the houses nearby are all very nice and comparably priced.

A couple other things my husband and I were talKing about today - there’s no real front porch (though it is a covered entry) and there’s not a huge green space in the backyard for the kids to play or to put a play set. Our kids love their play set and love swinging. I suppose down the road we could clear out some of the trees in the back and plant some grass seed. The front yard is very nice and big though.

oh and we got an estimate from a contractor on some of the work we want to have done - for the columns, we’d be looking at $3500-5000 to remove and put in a beam if they’re structural, and $1200-1500 to remove/retouch the floor/ceiling if they’re not structural. We’d be looking at $600-800 to paint all the trim, base boards, door frames etc and another $40 per door. The kitchen cabinets and countertops are still TBD but we could always just paint the cabinets white for now

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths