SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_573167673

Cabs shimmed to 37" counter height when the drawings say 36"h?

Ann Lane
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Our cabinet maker installed the base cabinets over the last few days, and a friend was over and noticed the cabinets seemed a bit high. I didn't even think to look, but after I measured, I realized some of the cabinets are a bit high, which would result in a 37" counter top. I want the cabinets to be 36"h after the 3 cm top is installed - I'm only 5'1"! My old kitchen counters were 36", so I know that works for our family.

We have a row of cabinets along a back wall where the first cabinets measures 34 5/8" from floor to cabinet top. At the other end of the row, it measures 35 1/8" from floor to cabinet top. At this end, wouldn't the countertop be closer to 36.5"h? Not ideal when I have cutting boards and the like as well, but I could live with a half inch taller.

Our island, on the other hand, which spans 10' long and 4' wide, seems really wonky. At one end, the base cabinets are 35.5" and 35.75" (these are the two base cabinets back to back). Wouldn't that make one end of the island 37" high? That's the highest point. At the other end of the 10' island, the two cabinets back to back are 35" and 35 1/8" high, which is a bit over 36" high with a finished counter, which is fine. Does that mean the counter height will be different at either end of the island? One end a bit over 36"h, and the other end at 37"h?

Also, every single cabinet is on shims - and big ones too. They almost look like wood blocking, and our toe kick is no longer 4", but ranges now from 4.5" to over 5". I get the hardwood floors might be uneven. But would have it been possible not to use shims on one end (or at least smaller shims) and set it at 34.5", and then let it grow the .75" difference from that point, for an overall counter height of 36.5" at the tallest point, instead of 37"? Plus, would the counter top installer have to shim on top of this, so that our finished counter could be over 37"h? For this short person, that would not be great ergonomically, working in that kitchen every day.

Is it normal to typically end up above a 36" counter height possibly because of uneven floors? And have every cabinet be on shims?

Comments (35)