Phrase of the day 2/22

jim_1 (Zone 9A)

Parkinson’s Law

C. Northcote Parkinson, distinguished British author and for some years Raffles Professor of History at the University of Malaya, expounded in 1957 Parkinson’s Law: “Work expands to fill the time allotted to it, or conversely, the amount of work completed is in inverse proportion to the number of people employed.”

SaveComment5Like3
Comments (5)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
salonva

I have never heard that term, but I have definitely seen it in action.:)

Save    
maire_cate

Thanks for that one Jim. I've been mistakenly calling it the Peter Principle. I looked it up and realized that the Peter Principle states that people in a hierarchy tend to rise to their level of incompetence. An employee who is successful in one job will be promoted to a job with a different or higher set of skills that they are not able to master.

Save    
Fun2BHere

I never knew it was called that, but I've certainly experienced the effect.

Save    
HU-681687602

Stacey_mb

I have a related issue, called Optimistic Cooking: The time required to make a new recipe expands three-fold from the expected time calculated after reading the recipe.

2 Likes Save    
nickel_kg

At work the saying was: If you need a job done, give it to a busy person.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Living Rooms Room of the Day: Just Right for 2 and a Crowd
Cozy enough for a couple but welcoming to extended family, this Portland home has lots of design tricks up its sleeve
Full Story
Kids’ Spaces Room of the Day: A Playful Hideaway for the Little Guys
A cozy fort, climbing ropes, books, drums, games, toys and more make this playroom a favorite for 2 young boys
Full Story
Most Popular Swing Into National Hammock Day
Only one day to celebrate such a worthy pastime? Pshaw. Start on July 22 and let these photos inspire you to keep on rockin’
Full Story