SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

How do I get my house to smell nice 24/7?

Oakley
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Sometimes when I walk into the house it smells like old people live here, or a bunch of big dogs, like our two.

For summertime dog smell on the rugs and sofa I use baking soda and it really works and the smell stays gone for a week or two. But it's a PITA because I have to use the vacuum and I do vacuum often.

Maybe a couple of times a year I spray a light scented cologne on a few of the light bulbs and that really works but I need a lighter scent.

Electric holders for wax melts helps a great deal but sometimes I forget to turn off the pot.

About twice a month I spray a light Febreeze scent on the rugs and upholstery.

But I'm tired of doing all of that! Potpourri always loses its scent way too early.

Incense causes cancer. Allegedly.

I don't want to put a bucket of coal in the house either.

Apparently oak puts off a bad scent and I have a large oak dresser where I keep most everything except what goes in the closet, so I keep a couple of sachets in each drawer which works and can get expensive. I'm never buying an oak dresser again.

Other than calling Rug Doctor (the rugs aren't very dirty), is there a secret to keeping a nice smelling home all the time, except when cooking? BTW, the kitchen always smells fine.

This past week the house smelled lovely because we had a wood burning fire going all the time due to the cold.

I don't use candles anymore either.

Tell me what you do, please!

Comments (58)