SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bmh4796

How to get rid of old house smell- 1976 house

bridget helm
9 years ago

Hello. We are renovating a house that was built in 1976. The ACs are old, but still working ok. The heat exchanger in one of the units needs replacing, but the brand of that unit is no longer in business, so we will prob have to change the whole unit in the near future. The AC guy said that within the next year we should go ahead and change both units - their parts in the attic as well as the outdoor parts -- I can't remember the proper names for these things. Basically, his quote was 10k to replace both units. However, his quote did not include new ducts.

I have a CRAZY sensitive nose. I have always been able to smell things that other people can't. It's a curse!

So I am VERY aware of the sweet sort of sour old house smell that exists in this house we just bought and are renovating. It smells like an old library book. I can't handle it, and I certainly can't handle the way it lingers in my clothes and hair after being in the house for several hours painting.

After pulling up ALL of the carpet, parquet, vinyl and tile as well as the cabinets, I thought for sure the smell would disappear. It didn't. After painting the walls, I thought it would go. It's still there.

So should I have the ducts cleaned Now even though we are going to wait on replacing the units? Or should I have the ducts completely replaced now? (I've heard that cleaning ducts isn't always successful with smells.)

I just need to know what I need to do to get rid of the smell, and I don't want to waste money.

Thanks for ANY advice you may be able to provide me with!

Comments (18)