Something for puff pastry cups

l pinkmountain

I didn't realize it but I have a box of Pepperidge Farm puff pastry cups in the freezer and I'm trying to empty it out so I can clean it. Anyone have any ideas of what to make with them? I was going to fill them with the Shrimp Orleans recipe I posted about, but ended up serving that over rice. I also have a half box of filo dough and another half box of sheet puff pastry. I'm wondering about possibly turnovers for either the filo or the puff pastry.

SaveComment15Like
Comments (15)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

I made these apple turnovers recently and they are a keeper. I did the phyllo differently though and did 3 bottom layers and two top and cut the sheets in 3rds so they made a big normal size turnover, not a mini. I used pink lady apples and followed the filling ingredients/directions exactly and it was delicious. One large lemon for zest.turnovers

Save    
amylou321

I have filled those cups with a mushroom mix. Chopped sautéed mushrooms, garlic,shallot,a little cream, cream cheese and parmesan cheese.

1 Like Save    
cindy_z6b/7a VA
Save    
l pinkmountain

Spanikopita was what happened to the first half of the filo dough package, which is why I'm pondering something else . . .

Save    
plllog

I think puff is better with sweet, so I'd do a fruit compote, or sliced fruit on creme anglaise or lemon curd or blueberry curd. Or maybe chopped dried fruit and nuts on frangipani, but the puff things might be too big for something that rich,

Filo is always good for bourekes. :) If your half pack is full sized sheets and you want something quick and fancy, gather sufficient quantity of leftovers that will taste good together, or a stew, and add whatever seasoning and bits you like, but pre-cook anything that requires it, along with a few drops of liquid, and run it through a grinder or food processor until you have a coarse paté that will stick together when pinched. Form the paté into a log to fit longways on your filo with an inch or two margins of dough either end. Lay out and brush oil on the filo, at least every 2-3 layers so it soaks through. Do this on parchment, on a baking sheet. Put your paté log onto the dough, a few inches from the edge, and roll up, ending seam side down. . You can use the paper to help you roll. Pinch the ends and use your oil brush to help glue them in place. Brush the whole surface with oil and decorate with powder grated cheese, seeds, or anything that bakes well, or leave bare. Bake until the surface gets toasty. Slice to serve. Some people might like a sauce or gravy on the slice, depending on the filling, but too much will spoil the crispness of the filo.

Save    
nekotish

I dont equate puff pastry with sweet at all. It makes great sausage rolls (alhough sheets, not cups) but chicken pot pie type filling, seafood in any kind of sauce, turkey ala king - are all great in puff pastry cups. You could even go rogue and do a kind of tex mex bean/ chili kind of thing. The puff pastry is only a vehicle. Creamed spinach or broccoli would be good too.

2 Likes Save    
2 Likes Save    
plllog

I love Leite! That recipe looks great.

1 Like Save    
colleenoz

I would make a chicken and mushroom in a white or veloute sauce mix to serve in the pastry cups.

1 Like Save    
Louiseab Ibbotson

I have a few of those cups in the freezer. I was thinking of filling them with escargot in garlic butter sauce

Save    
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

😱 Louise! Lol but really

1 Like Save    
Nana H

Are the cups entree size or appy size? My DDIL makes a wonderful puff pastry cup dish filled with diced pears, proscuitto ( could be any ham) blue cheese and a drizzel of honey.

I have posted a veggie phyllo " pizza " recipe here many times over the years but my real claim to fame is that it was published in the Penzey magazine several years ago.....OK more than several. It's really good and you can easily just use the phyllo you have.

Stacked Pizza

7 sheets phyllo pastry

1/2 Cup butter melted

7 Tbl freshly grated parmesan

1 1/2 Cup grated mozarella

1 sweet onion sliced thinly, And Separated Into Rings

5 -6 roma tomatoes, sliced

1 Tsp oregano

salt and pepper to taste ( I don't use

-any I find the parm salty enough and I

forget about the pepper!!!)

fresh herbs sprigs thyme, oregano or rosemary

Preheat oven to 375. Follow package instructions to thaw phyllo. Place 1 sheet of phyllo on baking sheet, brush with butter and sprinkle with 1 TBSP of the parmesan cheese. Repeat until all layers are used. Press down firmly so layers stick together. Sprinkle top sheet with mozerella. Place onions on top then place tomatoes on top. Season with oregano. Bake for 20-25 minutes until edges are golden, and the bottom is cooked. Decorate with fresh herbs and cut into squares (squares can be cut in half to make two bite trinagles)

Notes: I slice the onions and then cut the circles in half to arrange on top. I also try and line the tomatoes up in a diagonal pattern, I don't place them randomly, and then when I cut it I cut the squares so each piece has 1 roma slice. I also don't measure anything anymore I just sprinkle the cheese. I use rosemary but I cut the leaves off the stems. I've often cooked it with the rosemary on it. I also line my baking sheet with parchment paper.

1 Like Save    
l pinkmountain

There's a photo of that kind of "pizza" on the phyllo dough box Nana! Looks so yum!

As it is now turning out, I'm flipping my earlier idea, and using the puff pastry for pot pie for tonight and using the phyllo for apple turnovers. I've done them before with phyllo, but wasn't very good at folding them, but as most on the CF know, I am very much "dough challenged." Hope springs eternal . . .

Here's the recipe if anyone is interested. I don't have mushrooms but will probably sub some canned zucchini for the 'shrooms and tomato. https://ellerepublic.de/en/vegetable-pot-pie/

Edited to add that hubs put the kibosh on lentils. Said I would be ruining his favorite dish with his least favorite food. So he's getting chicken and I'm getting white beans. Gonna have to make two pies in two smaller dishes.

Save    
l pinkmountain

Here's a photo of the dueling pot pies. I really liked mine, with white beans but I think it would have been excellent with the French lentils as the recipe called for. Hubs, true to form, was less than enthusiastic about the "out of the box" use of sweet potatoes instead of the traditional yellow or white ones in his version with chicken.

I still have the puff pastry cups and one roll of phyllo. Stay tuned . . .

Save    
sheilajoyce_gw

I was going to suggest chicken pot pie filling. I use lots of vegetables with mine, and potatoes to keep DH happy. But shrimp, mushrooms (with or without bits of steak), or chicken in a cream sauce with some veggies and aromatics would be great. Or hot fudge sundaes!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life Simple Pleasures: Indulging in Teatime
Get out the china cups and cream-slathered scones. Tea with treats can make even an uneventful day feel extravagant
Full Story
Houzz TV Favorites Houzz TV: Life, Love and Purpose Down on the Farm
A Missouri native proves that you can go home again — and discover something entirely unexpected
Full Story
Vintage Style Evoke Old-World Romance With Vintage Silver
Use antique silver cups, candlesticks and pitchers to bring the romance of the past to your present-day home
Full Story
We have been proudly serving the Washington, Maryland & Virginia areas for over 20 years. Our knowledgeable &... Read More