SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Favorite streaming shows?

IdaClaire
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We've come into the 21st century at long last and have streaming telly at home now (hooray!). I have gone down the proverbial rabbit hole and cannot get enough of Acorn and Britbox at the moment and am finding an endless array of wonderful options that take up entirely too much of my time, but definitely give me my "UK fix". (Of course, this is making me want to visit again badly, especially in light of the fact that our trip for 2020 had to be canceled due to the pandemic.) I love watching shows like "Home Away From Home" and "Escape To The Country", but also adore quirky comedies. "Benidorm" is one such series that I am totally addicted to at the moment. It's so good! I also really enjoy interesting documentaries.

This made me wonder if others might have any favorites to recommend? It would be helpful to know show name and channel (Netflix? Hulu? Other?), so please share what you've found to be most enjoyable.

Comments (63)

• jb1586
    3 years ago

Agree with so many already mentioned above, especially Schitt’s Creek. We just finished the first season of Servant, on Apple TV. It’s from M Night Shyamalan, and it’s very strange, but draws you in. Also, adored Ted Lasso! The Sinner, on Netflix, with Bill Pullman, is very good.

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    3 years ago

I have watched and liked several mentioned above. The shows that I miss and could not wait to watch are:

Breaking Bad (Amazon)

Babylon Berlin (NetFlix) German language.

Dark (NetFlix) German Language

Game of Thrones (HBO) the last season was disappointing

The Wire (HBO)

Lost - I avoided this for a long time but once I started watching it I was hooked. I have no idea where to watch it now.

West World (HBO) The 1st and 2nd seasons are fantastic.

Veep (HBO)

Flea Bag (Amazon or NetFlix)

What We Do in the Shadows (Amazon or NetFlix)

Deadwood (HBO)

ETA: Many of the shows above are profanity filled so if that bothers you I would definitely avoid all but Babylon Berlin, Dark, and Lost.

• Related Discussions

show me your favorite pie crust edge hosta

Q

Comments (12)
    I love pie-crusted hostas, so I have several :) These are all recent purchases, within the last 3 years. Niagara Falls: Marilyn Monroe (not actually shiny, it was raining): Emerald Ruff Cut: Queen of the Seas: Choo Choo Train: Lakeside Paisley Print: Sea Gulf Stream: Sky Dancer: Neptune: I also just bought 8 new piecrusted ones: Spartacus, Cold Heart, Childhood Fantasy, Shimmy Shake, Cranberry Wine, Invincible, Lakeside Hoola Hoop, & Lakeside Cindy Cee (had to get one after seeing UK-Hostaman's. His is spectacular). But I don't have photos of those yet. Wendy
    ...See More

What is your favorite rose to show at a rose show?

Q

Comments (2)
    I love pink rose. Pink is basically very beutiful color, so pink roses look really ausome. Here is a link that might be useful: http://c.1asphost.com/Sanganagouda/forum/
    ...See More

Favorite Streaming Device?

Q

Comments (28)
    Thank you all! Your responses made my decision easy. I just purchased the Roku from BB. The sales person failed to mention the HDMI cable was not included, so I cannot yet report on the ease of set-up. I had no idea BluRay doubled as a media streaming device. I'll keep that in mind if we use this enough to get another television, or upgrade the current TV. We only have one small television in the house, so I appreciate everyone's expert advice!
    ...See More

Show us some of your favorite gardening tools

Q

Comments (21)
    My turn if this post works ;-) The iced coffee bottle is what I use to soak and rinse potting pebbles. I put the plug in the sink, put the kitchen sieve on the bottom then use the tea strainer over the open top of the bottle and empty the dirty water. Refill with water, rinse, refill, rinse etc until the water is clear. Any pebbles that tried to escape don't go down the sink. I also use the kitchen sieve to rinse perlite. Spray bottle for seeds (when I get some) or for dampening my Irish drum. Nail cutical tool, to nudge tiny plants, stones etc. Different sized droppers to water next to tiny plants without fat juicy leaves. Ruler to measure anything eg pebbles. Surgical knife I got from my G.P. (blunt now). Knife to replace surgical one. But its too blunt. Going to try King Of Knives, they used to have this style - cheap and really sharp. And/or;ask my doc. Various sized spoons for mixing and potting. Fork is for combing out roots. Small, wide spoon is to put mix sideways into difficult spots.
    ...See More
  • jojoco
    3 years ago

“The Durrells in Corfu”. So wonderful. Great, dry English humor, gorgeous scenery, a house I would sell a kid to have, and a brilliant storyline with an emphasis on a burgeoning zookeeper. Just finished season one. Based on the books “My Family and Other Animals” by Gerry Durrell.

• Sueb20
    3 years ago

Rory reminded me: I loved Veep.

I also loved Six Feet Under. I think that’s the first series I binge watched.

• Funkyart
    3 years ago

I soooo loved the Durrells in Corfu.. it was just what i needed when the pandemic peaked in the late spring and right after my dad died. It was medicine for the soul! I watched all three seasons (and the after story) by streaming from PBS Masterpiece Theater.

Still not a fan of Schitts Creek no matter how many people love it lol.. hanging head

Recent Loves (all Netflix):

• The Queen's Gambit
    • Lupin (we watched it dubbed and they did a good job of it-- i can't read subtitles)
    • The Crown (still watching)

Recent movies

• Zappa (Amazon Prime) 2020 movie.. there are many Zappa films. This one was produced by his son Amhet
    • The Dig (Netflix)
    • #Alive (Netflix) .. definitely takes a special niche taste. It's a korean zombie movie.

Old loves on Acorn/BBC

I've watched a lot of BBC/Acorn over the last many yrs-- so if you are wondering about something i haven't mentioned, just ask. Some you didn't mention:

• Foyle's War
    • Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries (didn't love at first but it really grew on me)
    • Partners in Crime
    • Rebus
    • Delicious
    • My Life is Murder
    • Wallender
    • Wire in the Blood (and anything with Robsen Green -- though i watched these some 18-20 yr ago)
    • Prime Suspect (it's not on acorn all that often but it is on other services from time to time)
  • jb1586
    3 years ago

A good movie that we just watched on Netflix is The Dig, with Carey Mulligan and Ralph Feinnes . Great cast, based on a true story.

Edited to add: I see that Funkyart liked it as well, missed that when reading her thread .

• Jilly
    3 years ago

Love this thread! Making notes. :)

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

Funky, I'm with you on Schitts Creek!

Ida, I'm assuming you got a smart tv? We're not big on shows, but when we recently upgraded our internet, we got hbomax with it (still not understanding that???). I'm wanting to watch the movie "Let Him Go" with Diane Lane and Kevin Costner. Do you have Amazon Prime? I love that I have my Amazon Music on the tv and there are shows/movies also.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We've had smart TVs (with Amazon Prime and a Firestick on one), but recently added Roku. Loving it!

Thanks so much for the wonderful recommendations! I've seen a number of things mentioned here, and thoroughly enjoyed them. Series like The Durrells in Corfu and Last Tango in Halifax were on PBS, so I saw them on my local channel. I just really adore the British series, and if you've not seen Benidorm, you must check it out. It's set in a Spanish resort, with a full cast of very quirky Brits and has moments of being laugh til it hurts funny.

I'm going to check out everything mentioned. Thanks so much to you all!

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

After I watched the last episode of The Durrells in Corfu I felt like I was saying goodbye to an old friend. 😢

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

@IdaClaire our tv connnects to our hd antenna and our WiFi. No fire stick or Roku, etc. needed.. It is also Alexa enabled so you can operate by voice (if you choose). Some of it is over my head!!

• Joaniepoanie
    3 years ago

We’re currently watching Your Honor with Bryan Cranston on Showtime. It’s very good—twists and turns.

• amykath
    3 years ago

i am also watching Your Honor and it is quite a nail biter. I too recocomment it. It has Brian Cranston from Breaking Bad and his acting is incredible.

• llitm
    3 years ago

A quick scan of the above recommendations didn't show one (I may have missed it though) that has stayed with me, "The White Tiger" (Netflix).

• bpath
    3 years ago

Gscience mentioned House of Cards. I think I don't understand the meaning of "Original". House of Cards was a fine British series from 1984. Pretty much the same, but in Parliament in stead of Congress. I'm glad it was adapted for the US, but does that make it original?

Btw, we discovered it because we saw rhe first episode of the the Kevin Spacey one somewhere. Then I spotted it at the library and brought it home, only to realize it was the British one.

• l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

I tried Schitt's Creek again, still a "meh." It is sort of a pale imitation of "Parks and Recreation" if you ask me. I really love that show, great for bingeing if you haven't already. It also takes a little while to get into . . .

I liked "Afterlife" but that is one season so a really short binge. Very au courant, even though I doubt they intended all of the implications when they started the show.

Longmire is a great binge. Story lines quite implausible at times, but still something different from the every day.

I loved "Dear Black People." Hubs did not. I think I loved it because I work in academia. Similarly, since I've worked at a community college, I tried to get into "Community." I might have to give that one another go, it was kind of like "Schitt's Creek" for me, just couldn't get into the characters.

We liked Queen's Gambit, although that show was all style no substance if you ask me. Similarly with Mrs. Maisel for me. At one point hubs and I were into "Virgin Creek" for the eye candy (rural PNW) but I find most of the characters in that show unappealing, particularly the leading man.

A show I like is "Kim's Convenience" which is set somewhere in Canada, can't remember where . . . show about a Korean family, with the parents running a convenience store. Great juxtaposition of older and younger generation lives and concerns.

Hubs and I also loved "Atypical." Great family drama but with some humor thrown in too.

• no_green_thumb
    3 years ago

Currently watching Poldark - Amazon Prime.

It was a Masterpiece Theater series on PBS, based on the books of Winston Graham.

I think there are 12 books, which I will read when finished with this series.

It begins with the main character's return to Cornwall from the American Revolution.

I am so drawn to books and movies in the 1800's in England. Love this one!!

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Pink, my parents love "Kim's Convenience" -- said it was an absolute delight, so that's definitely one I'll want to see.

We have the Longmire series on DVD and enjoyed it. It does ring a bit untrue at times, but I mainly enjoy watching because it's filmed largely in New Mexico, and I love the scenery.

• bpath
    3 years ago

We really, really liked Forever, with Maya Rudolph and Fred Armisen. I think it was on Amazon? I just saw that Alan Yang is one of the writers and directors. He was also with The Good Place (I saw only a few episodes then missed a bunch and didn’t pick it up again) and Master Of None (which we also enjoyed). (DH has a weird thing. He won’t watch a show on broadcast tv. But if it moves to another platform and he didn’t know it had been on broadcast, it’s fair game. If he knows it had been on broadcast, he won’t watch it. Weird.)

• nutsaboutplants
    3 years ago

Most of the things I liked have already been mentioned. Here is a recent thread you may find relevant with great recommendations from folks here.

Recent streaming recommendations

• graywings123
    3 years ago

I just watched the first couple episodes of season 2 of The Sinner, on Netflix, with Bill Pullman. After season 1, I wasn't anxious to see more. But season 2 so far is much better. That creepy sex thing he had going on in season 1 hasn't shown up.

• Funkyart
    3 years ago

I was going to point out the same, Nuts.. there are a number of old threads with recommendations. I know I dug a little deeper in this thread than my recent recommendations because OP has specific interests.. but typically, i don't rehash things I've recommended in the past.

Ida, i think you will find LOTS if you go through the previous threads. There tends to be one every few months.

• ladypat1
    3 years ago

On Acorn or BBox as I remember. Broadchurch, Bodyguard (not THE bodyguard), Last Tango in Halifax. Yellowstone, but I don't know what provider.

• nutsaboutplants
    3 years ago

I’m a recent retiree who plunged into streaming with the same vigor and commitment I had previously reserved for work, parenting and when possible, reading. Not much into decorating despite my best efforts, as my skills and interest are seriously limited. Feel like I’ve earned nearly endless streaming!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    3 years ago

Another Netflix movie that I recently enjoyed was Fisherman's Friends. Also based on a true story.

• pamghatten
    3 years ago

Terricks, thank you for that comment about Wanda Vision .. I watched the first 2 episodes and kept wondering why I was watching it. I told my friend it was like a Marvel Bewitched. LOL! I'll have to try more episodes.

I also tried Schitt's Creek, but I've never been a fan of what I call slap stick comedy, so I moved on.

I love Sci Fi, and am on the second season of The Expanse on Prime. Really good Sci Fi series for anyone else that likes Sci Fi.

• nutsaboutplants
    3 years ago

Watching An Elephant Sitting Still on Kanopy. It’s a 2017 Chinese film, the debut (and sadly the only) work of a 28 year-old. Widely praised by critics in seemingly excessive terms — “easily one of the greatest recent films” and “one of the great achievements of recent cinema” (The New Yorker); “an act of solemn, disciplined and passionate protest” ( New York Times), “an uncompromising masterpiece” and such — I found such praise entirely justified.

I was spell-bound, awe-struck, by this extraordinary tapestry of a tale. Warning: It’s long, 3 hours and 50 minutes. Yes, you read that right. And it’s an intimate but unsentimental view into the dreary and often callous world of the characters that inhabit its universe. And it takes its time, as the camera hovers during long pauses and faces that are impenetrable on the surface.

If you don’t find these things off-putting, please try it. It’s so worth it. I have a feeling I will go back to this film, as we do with books that are too rich to savor in one reading.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the additional suggestions!

FWIW, I searched this topic on my phone before starting a thread, and came up with nothing. Well, the search turned up a thread on "soda streaming", but obviously that's not what I was after. I'm not going to blame my own ineptitude, but the miserable search feature of this forum for not producing results. On my desktop, I can see the threads on the topic -- looks like the most recent was last month.

• Funkyart
    3 years ago

I don't think anyone was scolding you for not searching, Ida.. at least i sure wasn't. However, i was pointing you to the prior threads because it's very likely you'll find older recommendations that none of us are thinking of today.

LOL Mtn.. i make time every Friday and Saturday evenings to watch (remotely) with my friend who is out of state. It's my only tv all week.. usually. When i get burned out or into a funk, i will turn off the phone and binge watch something on the weekend. :)

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

I just remembered another show that we enjoyed in the last year - Dead Still. It's about a "post mortem photographer" in Victorian era Ireland, and involves a murder mystery. I loved all the characters. It's on Acorn TV, which you can subscribe to via Amazon Prime Video. There is usually a free trial period.

Has anyone seen this site: https://decider.com/what-to-watch/ It helps you find streaming shows/movies.

• l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

Oooh oooh, just remembered two offbeat comedies kind of old but maybe you can still find. Great binges. "Lady Dynamite" starring Maria Bamford as a fictional version of herself. VERY offbeat, takes a while to get used to. Both funny and poignant exploration of mental illness. And then "One Mississippi" with Tig Notaro, which unfortunately only lasted two seasons due to problems with the production company. My mother died in much the same way as Ms. Notaro's mother, so I found her dramedy about dealing with a family loss very moving. Also, I'm from a small town full of kooky characters so I found that part funny along with her dry delivery.

• jb1586
    3 years ago

Also on Netflix, Dead to Me, with Linda Cardelini and Christina Applegate. Very funny. I watch entirely too much television...

• nutsaboutplants
    3 years ago

Jen, my intent was not to critique, but to share great suggestions made recently. I apologize if that wasn’t clear. Of course, there are even more recommendations to add, including one I shared above. Great thread.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

No, no - I didn't think anyone was scolding me, but I felt compelled to point out how positively "possessed" the search feature is, especially on the phone for some reason.

This is a great thread, and I thank you all for the fantastic suggestions! I need more free time in which to stream, because that's pretty much ALL I want to do these days.

• frankginakay
    3 years ago

Jen, if you have Hulu Justified is one of the best shows that I have ever streamed. Of course, Timothy Olyphant is easy on the eyes AND he is a Deputy US Marshall! He's a cowboy BUT the show is really good. One handsome cowboy, I must say!

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    3 years ago

Oh yes - Timothy Olyphant is in Deadwood too. He is dreamy!

• teeda
    3 years ago

Ida, I'm so glad to see that someone else is enjoying Benidorm! I got hooked on it a couple of months ago through Amazon Prime but at the time they didn't have the complete series. I had to resort to some very fuzzy YouTube episodes. It was my little guilty pleasure--laugh out loud funny to me but a bit crude for others. I loved the Garvey family, Madge & Mel, the "Oracle" and Mateo. If you like quirky Brit comedies check out Gavin & Stacey, The Royle Family, and Rovers. I also recently enjoyed Still Open All Hours (a remake of the original BBC Open All Hours) starring David Jason, aka Pop Larkin.

• bpath
    3 years ago

We watched a wonderful Danish seriss, Rita, on Netflix. She is a teacher in Denmark, unorthodox of course.

• amykath
    3 years ago

@teeda, I loved Gavin and Stacie! I might have to watch that agai, It was so funny and clever!

• teeda
    3 years ago

I know artillery--plus so many great actors!

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Teeda, I love that you also love Benidorm! I am completely smitten with all of the characters, horrible as many of them are! I had to call my DH to come and rewatch the episode with the poo in the pool again, as I laughed so hard I cried during that one! I'm only in season 2, so am pleased that there's still much more to look forward to. I was rather taken aback to learn that Benidorm is an actual place; in fact, I was watching an episode of Home Away From Home (also on Britbox), and one of the couples said they met there. So funny!

• Jilly
    3 years ago

Ida, I’m so glad to see you posting. Are you home? That wreck was so horrific on 35. 😔

• amykath
    3 years ago

Yes, I hope everyone in that area is safe. So scary and sad.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, Jinx and Amy. I'm fine. I head east for work these days, so haven't been on that stretch of 35 in quite some time, but even on a sunny, dry day it was often "iffy" at best. What happened there today just horrifies me. The videos that people have managed to capture are heartbreaking, because you can see what's happening and know that people in those vehicles (who were in all likelihood just getting up and going to work) are no longer among us.

My heart hurts.

• Jilly
    3 years ago

Yes, I was actually looking up weather early this morning (not yet aware of what happened) when I inadvertently saw a video someone posted of it from the other side of the highway. I didn’t know what was going on at first ... it was horrific. I’m so heartbroken for the lives lost and the loved ones who got such devastatingly shocking news today.

I agree about that stretch of hwy. We usually only went that way for a shortcut to and from Northside, avoiding downtown, but I never liked it.

I’m so glad you’re safe and sound. ❤️

• teeda
    3 years ago

Glad you are safe Ida. Yes, Benidorm has given me more full belly laughs than I have experienced in a long, long time. And I do believe laughter is the best medicine. I love the way each series is a new year at Benidorm with new and familiar characters. I’m also intrigued with the real Benidorm which I read is pretty much exactly what we see on the show. I found myself google searching about Benidorm and there are several real town characters with YouTube blogs. Not sure I could ever handle a full vacation there, but would love a day trip if I was in the area!

• Feathers11
    3 years ago

I just googled that accident... what a terrible mess.

I've never watched much tv, and my recent viewings have been binges with my young adult kids in their genres during the pandemic.

Yesterday, though, I found Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations on Hulu. I miss him. His global worldview was wonderful, and I'd love to have had his perspective of it today.

• deeinohio
    3 years ago

They stated on the news this evening many in the accident were healthcare workers getting off work. What a tragedy.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The accident happened in a narrow express lane that's being faulted for having no shoulder, just concrete barrier on both sides. It's a toll lane that many choose because it potentially expedites their drive, allowing avoidance of the main highway lanes. I have hated those lanes since they first began installing them in this area a number of years ago. I am absolutely not "blaming" those who drove there yesterday, but I have to think the lane they were in was a death trap based on its very design. I've only driven in such a lane once and only until I could make a quick exit. It was so unnerving, like driving in a luge track or something, with vehicles barreling down on me from behind at close to 80mph. Horrifying.