SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

This is my favorite room: Ocotillo

IdaClaire
3 years ago

Inspired by the threads that Lynn and Donna created, I'll take a turn and share what is currently my favorite room. Actually, I may share two rooms if that's allowed, as I divide most of my time between them since they both have a source of heat (one has fireplace and one electric) which are nice on these chilly, drab winter days.
I recently shared our library after moving our poor old "seen better days" leather sofa from the media room into the library. I'm so enjoying this space, and can be found here (it's upstairs) most evenings, tucked into a good book. This was intended probably for a pool table originally, but that's not our style, so we had a young carpenter build the bookshelves to fill one wall, and decided to use our Stickley breakfast set as a games table (no room for it elsewhere; before we moved into this house I actually had it sold but backed out of the deal before the buyer took possession and I am so glad I did!). We added the "fireplace", which is an electric heater, and while some may find these things cheesy, I like that it adds a little bit of coziness.
The bookcase is filled with not only books, but mementos from travels and just special little treasures. It makes me happy to look at the items and remember.
When we initially decided to create a library from this space, I fantasized about sitting by the window with a book, a cat, and a cup of tea, on a rainy day, as the world went by outside the window. And that's exactly what happens in this room, which is somehow so soul-satisfying to me.

Comments (39)

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

A pretty good place for a laptop. I took the photo of the little girl, a member of the Ngobe Bugle tribe, in the Panamanian rainforest.

Memories of England, Mexico, Iceland, the Southwest US ... Yes, that's teapots and bleached animal bones, folks. That's how I roll. 😁

Stickley Eastwood chair. Big, comfy, and well worn. Fugly little table next to it, but hey, it works to hold a mug and a book.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Keeping it real ... here's the scene just outside the library. I had envisioned the landing as an area for a pretty kilim-covered bench, perhaps a wicker chair and small table. Clearly, our cats had other intentions. This is "their" space. Oh well. Keeps em happy. But it looks like we have toddlers, and we don't. (Unless the 4 month old kitten qualifies, and many days, I'd say he does.)

But also on the landing and just outside the library entrance is what we call "the kachina cabinet". Impossible to adequately photograph, it holds my collection of Hopi kachinas, pueblo pottery, and Navajo folk art. These pieces are all very, very special to me, and I only wish I could show each one here.

• Related Discussions

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here's my other tied-for-favorite room, our downstairs living area. Yep, TV hung over fireplace. The decorating police would be appalled.

• Jilly
    3 years ago

Ahhh, eye candy. :)

Oco, your rooms impart such wonderful taste, warmth, thoughtfulness, and interesting treasures to look at in every spot. It’s always fun to see your next find, watch your wheels in motion ... and how you always come up with something unexpected, interesting, and perfect. You have such a knack for design, and it’s always *yours*, based on what you love to surround yourself with. That, to me, is what gives a home character.

I’m going to brag here and share that I got to see your gorgeous home in person. And I’ll say that as great as it looks in pictures, it’s even more lovely in person! It’s also so welcoming.

Like Lynn’s beautiful home, I love the character and layers — the textures, the colors, the collections from around the world. I love how you aren’t afraid to be different, to evolve ... and to tackle projects head-on and be done before we even finish reading the initial post. :D

You inspire me so much and it’s always a pleasure to see a new decorating project you share with us!

Oh, and Kitty Landing is also a beautiful sight ... full of love. ❤️

IdaClaire thanked Jilly
  • IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Jinx... 🙏❤

• LynnNM
    3 years ago

YES!!! This is what I was hoping for, rooms that reflect who each of us is! That helps us get to know each other a bit more. I love both of your beautiful rooms, but your Library is just so You! I’ve “known” you here, and before that on GW, for many years now. Seen snippets of your rooms and the treasures from your travels. But here, in your wonderful Library, they all come together so beautifully! Your love of the Southwest, it’s indigenous people and it’s art. Of England and her memories and treasures. Your volunteer times in Central America, etc. They're all melded here so wonderfully in such a cozy, beautiful, welcoming way. I love your Library . And your living room. And your art and artifacts. What a perfect room to curl up with a good book!

IdaClaire thanked LynnNM
  • SEA SEA
    3 years ago

I'll call your home contentment. So very nice. I wonder how you ever leave home. It was a lovely time to 'walk through' and lay eyes on your treasures, trinkets and as you call, fugly items put to good use. Although, not really fugly, silly you. We have several items dh has found on the side of the road either discarded or a free sign attached. They are fugly, but I think, if enough love and contentment lives in a space it is not seen as fugly, but rather perfectly placed. I feel like I've been for a sweet visit Oco. :)

IdaClaire thanked SEA SEA
  • Tina Marie
    3 years ago

Very warm and inviting rooms Oco. Of course the kitties must have their place!! (Although, I do think a kilim covered bench would be fab!!)

IdaClaire thanked Tina Marie
  • cawaps
    3 years ago

I looooove your library.

Can you show me a close-up, and tell me about, the guy with all the teeth on the shelf below the owls?

IdaClaire thanked cawaps
  • Oakley
    3 years ago

Cawaps, the "guy" with all the teeth is mine, so bug off! lol Isn't it a cougar or leopard head? I want it!

Jen, the end effect is perfect and I love how the areas flow together.

Nice to see another use a curio cabinet, to me they're classic. They sure have gone up in price though!

You gave me an idea for my four cats, which is to use those extra twin size faux furry blankets I have in the closet. Cats love them, don't they?

BTW, I think you made a good decision to carpet your home. I like the look, especially with a rug on top. Your feet will thank you as you age.

Brava!

IdaClaire thanked Oakley
  • IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you so much for the wonderfully kind words! They mean so much to me, as I greatly admire YOUR homes and consider each of you sources of tremendous inspiration.

Cawaps, here's a close up of the cat mask. We bought him from a Puerto Vallarta street vendor. My real cats are a little scared of it. 😸 I'm not sure if he's papier mache or wood; he's got a bit of heft to him.

• cawaps
    3 years ago

Cool!

IdaClaire thanked cawaps
  • Bestyears
    3 years ago

I could live in that room.

IdaClaire thanked Bestyears
  • OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

Love all of it! It’s always a pleasure to see your library, which I think looks so cozy and a wonderful place to relax. And would love to see, and hear, the details of your collected items in the cabinet. It’s always fascinating to see the collected items of others and to hear what makes them special.

IdaClaire thanked OutsidePlaying
  • bbstx
    3 years ago

Sink-in, live-in, cozy-up wonderful!

IdaClaire thanked bbstx
  • IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for asking, Outside! I realized how incredibly dusty the kachina cabinet is at present, but I took a few photos anyway.

My all time favorite kachina is known as a Mudhead, and I have a few of them in my collection. The little guy in front in my cabinet is very special to me. I bought him from a Hopi carver who was selling his wares out of the back of his pickup at the ancient village of Walpi. I was there with my dad, and it was just a very memorable and interesting day. We met quite a few fascinating Hopi individuals there, and have a number of stories that we treasure, such as meeting the great great granddaughter of a Hopi woman whose portrait was taken by the famed Edward S. Curtis, an original photogravure of which hangs over my parents' fireplace.

Anyway, my little Mudhead is the small piece to the far left, wearing the blue kilt.

These Navajo folk art carvings by Matthew Yellowman are also special to me. The horned toad represents tribal elders and the traditional way of doing things. The roadrunner represents Navajo youth (hence the sneakers), one foot in modern culture, with a hold on tradition, although making it their own.

These are Mexican (Oaxacan) folk art carvings that we picked up in a cute little boutique south of the border. They make me smile.

The tag on these simply read "Sofa Cats."

A tree of Mudheads! There's one on a swing.

And lastly, I love this little clay koshare (clown) made by Jemez Pueblo artist Kathleen Wall. All of her creations have adorable dimples, just like she does. Their little smiles really look like her own, and I just love that she puts that much of herself into her work.

• pricklypearcactus
    3 years ago

I love both rooms! Thank you for sharing. All of your art and collections say "I've traveled the world, but here is where I rest" and it makes me want to curl up and just soak it all in. I love how much distinctive art you've collected and how each furniture piece is beautiful on its own and as a cohesive part of the room. I'm not there yet, but I am to achieve the same with my furniture.

IdaClaire thanked pricklypearcactus
  • roarah
    3 years ago

I love your house and you beautiful art and books makes it a perfect home!

IdaClaire thanked roarah
  • aprilneverends
    3 years ago

wow thank you so much for sharing, and taking time to capture more of your wonderful collections. I love, love, love these rooms filled with books and art and personality..it's so welcoming,it's calling my name..I'd be lost there for hours. I'm out of superlatives actually. Seeing it just made my day.

IdaClaire thanked aprilneverends
  • LynnNM
    3 years ago

Wonderful treasures! Thanks so much for adding them for us to enjoy!

IdaClaire thanked LynnNM
  • IdaClaire thanked Jilly
  • hcbm
    3 years ago

What a lovely, relaxing, personalized, space. I curl up on that couch with a hot cup of tea and a good book and just be. Thank you for sharing.

IdaClaire thanked hcbm
  • IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The kind words shared here really touch my heart. I'd love to have each one of you over for a cup of tea!

Jinx, I love that little table! So cute! Butters would probably think it's a new scratching post, but hey, double duty is a good thing, right?

Here's the baby, speaking of Butters, looking like a mini wildcat. He cracks me up!

• Jilly
    3 years ago

Butters!! 😍❤️

IdaClaire thanked Jilly
  • Feathers11
    3 years ago

Thanks for sharing these photos! I love your owls--they caught my eye. All of it is so warm and inviting. And that "seen better days" leather is the best type of leather.

IdaClaire thanked Feathers11
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

I love the coffered ceiling and artwork/colors of your LR.

But I'd probably live in your homey library. Funny I have almost the same issue with a homeless round Stickley table. Worse yet, mine is supersized. I had it custom made because I wanted 6 chairs and I wanted them all to have arms. So it's about the size of a conference room table. I too have ended up using it as a library/games table in a room with a fpl and sofa. I really like having the table and think they should be more common. Most people use DR tables for all sorts of things anyway; I say put a table in your family room or office or library and keep the DR table for dining. But you don't often see it done.

IdaClaire thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I spent the better part of last evening tweaking arrangements on the bookshelves. That becomes harder and harder to do when the whole thing is so darn filled, but I have long wanted a globe (even, or perhaps especially, a vintage one), and bought one online which arrived yesterday. I also decided to dig the ship model that my Dad made many years ago from deep, dark storage, where it's been literally rotting away. I have harbored a good deal of shame and regret over this ship for years. Dad gave it to me decades ago, and I displayed it proudly in my home, but over time and a couple of moves and a long-gone cat that was secretly chewing on it, well, the ol' ship began to look like a shipwreck. The rigging that Dad so carefully tied into little knots, just as it would've been done on the actual ship, and the wood pieces that he painted and glued into place, were completely destroyed in places. I made the executive decision last night to just cut those places away, to remove the worst of the destruction, and enjoy what was left. I still regret deeply that the once-beautiful ship is in this condition, but at least I can treasure what remains. You can kinda see it in the top section of the bookcase, along with the aforementioned globe.

• Jilly
    3 years ago

It’s eerie how alike we think, and at the same time. I told DH I wanted to find an old globe last time we went to Montgomery Street, and I’m always on the hunt for a ship. I just love them.

What a wonderful treasure! Don’t beat yourself up, life happens, and now you have it out again. It’s got patina. :) And looks perfect on that shelf. ❤️

IdaClaire thanked Jilly
  • IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, Jinx. I just think of the many hours that Dad put into carefully creating that beautiful ship, and at what it became in my possession. It makes me sad, but I do feel somewhat better about bringing it out instead of keeping it stuffed in the back of the closet where my heart did a sad little flipflop whenever I'd see it there. It still has value to me, so I am glad that I can appreciate what's left of it.

I found my globe (probably from the 80s, so not THAT 'vintage') on Poshmark! It was $12, so just over $18 including shipping. Couldn't not get it, at that price! I've seen a number of others on Poshmark and Mercari, if you're so inclined to shop online for one. Oh, and when this one arrived yesterday, we did that 'thing' where you spin the globe and close your eyes, and wherever your finger lands when it stop is where you're traveling to next. Look like I'm going to Newfoundland. ;-D

• Jilly
    3 years ago

Aww, man, why can’t this one be in my budget?!

https://www.chairish.com/product/1090546/early-20th-century-french-globe

Ok, off to look at Poshmark and Mercari. YOU ENABLER.

• jojoco
    3 years ago

Your home is beautiful. I don't say "house" because it really does feel like a home.It's warm and inviting with. lots of cool collections to draw you in.

If you come home, and find the door slightly ajar, you'll know I'm curled up in the stickley chair with a good book and hopefully Butters on my lap.

IdaClaire thanked jojoco
  • IdaClaire
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, jojo! Butters is an awfully good lap cuddler. (When he's not opening the pantry door and tearing holes in the ginormous bag of cat food like some kind of deranged squirrel, that is.)

• Arapaho-Rd
    3 years ago

I just love everything about this room!

IdaClaire thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • User
    3 years ago

I had to go looking for some of the first favorite rooms and so glad I did. It’s a great thing to have a living area on your second floor, especially one that is so complete. Reading chair and light.....check. Napping sofa.....check. Fireplace......check. Great natural light.... check. Books......check. Mementos and treasured objet d’art.......check! Your room has everything in it that a person could want, wrapped up in a lovely layer of natural textiles and colors.

IdaClaire thanked User
  • blfenton
    3 years ago

How did I miss IdaClaires favourite room thread?

Your rooms are always so interesting and so much fun to enlarge and poke around in. Thanks for posting a bunch of little corners.

IdaClaire thanked blfenton
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    3 years ago

So much to enjoy, so many treasures! And cats! Purrrfect.

IdaClaire thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • robo (z6a)
    3 years ago

Ida, you've imbued your home with so much character and warmth. I love that there's a story for everything. It's hard to believe it's a new build and that's the ultimate compliment in my books!

IdaClaire thanked robo (z6a)
  • rubyclaire
    3 years ago

You have made a beautiufl home that reflects you and your life. Really lovely!

IdaClaire thanked rubyclaire